Jazz

Very Coltrane-ish. Anyone knows if Nubya Garcia plays on this recording? Judging from the studio recording, I don't think that's her, but who knows.
It says she was (she was on their debut)

bandleader Jake Long joined by the original line-up from the album sessions – Amané Suganami, Twm Dylan, Tim Doyle, Shirley Tetteh and Nubya Garcia (plus Al MacSween)

It says she was (she was on their debut)

bandleader Jake Long joined by the original line-up from the album sessions – Amané Suganami, Twm Dylan, Tim Doyle, Shirley Tetteh and Nubya Garcia (plus Al MacSween)
Although I see no confirmation on the personal of the first track (Open the Gates). The playing on that track is what strikes me more un-Nubya-like. It is more melodic, and less rhythm and motif-oriented. The sax playing on OTG is great, but I just struck me as something different to their debut album, but I may be wrong though.

Although I see no confirmation on the personal of the first track (Open the Gates). The playing on that track is what strikes me more un-Nubya-like. It is more melodic, and less rhythm and motif-oriented. The sax playing on OTG is great, but I just struck me as something different to their debut album, but I may be wrong though.
I must admit as I bought it I have tried not to listen to it so you may well be right. I think @Mr Moore got a copy already. I panic bought and so it was sent to my UK address...

some details on line up here (but still not 100% clear) but it could be Tamar Osborn from Collocutor.

I must admit as I bought it I have tried not to listen to it so you may well be right. I think @Mr Moore got a copy already. I panic bought and so it was sent to my UK address...

back sleeve image here looks like Binker Golding on sax on Open the Gates, Tamar sticking to flute.

back sleeve image here looks like Binker Golding on sax on Open the Gates, Tamar sticking to flute.
I was going to post this but saw you already did it! Hoping to get my copy soon as well, had a delivery notification yesterday so hopefully tomorrow.

I'm late playing the Bob James, Once Upon a Time. (Resonance) -- what a great surprise of a record.
Its fantastic isnt it. I love how they split the album into 2, with the standards being paired up with his more adventurous avant-garde playing on the other side. Great concept.

I have had a couple of tasty jazz records turn up this morning (the mahogany Makaya McCraven Universal Beings E&F Sides being one of them) but this is perhaps the one I have been most excited for.

The Michael Garrick Septet featuring Joe Harriott - ...At Short Notice (Jazz In Britain, 2020 First Limited Pressing)

It looks to be another fantastic package, with a retro flip-back sleeve and superb matt finish (with a selection of superb session photos on the back). I'm waiting for a work meeting and after that I will definitely be giving this a spin. Part of the live cassette pile I bought the other day had a rare live recording of Joe Harriott, so I will double up with that after this I think. Amazingly there are still 46 copies left on their bandcamp and I definitely recommend getting his before it sells out (it's limited to just 350!). Congrats again to @britprogjazz for a killer package, I cant wait to dig in!

View attachment 67608
I received my copy from Jazz in Britain (@britprogjazz ) today and can concur it's a nice package. Music is great with terrific sax work throughout and the sound is top-notch. My vinyl is flat, clean, and quiet. If this is an indication of what's to come from this label, YAY!

Last edited:
This was on my Instagram timeline this morning and thought I should share it here. It's a nice blend of jazz and hip-hop beats. Kamaal Williams plays on a couple of tracks.

First Word Records is very proud to present you with 'The Offering' - the debut album by Darkhouse Family; a Cardiff-based duo consisting of Earl Jeffers & Don Leisure.

Previously releasing music under their respective monikers, Metabeats and Jamal, they've produced an assortment of sounds over the years, from Hip Hop to House to D'n'B. Connecting as a duo almost a decade ago, this merger logically saw the birth of their own unique style, comprised of a bonafide fusion of genres.

Darkhouse Family entered into the public domain via labels Fat City and Earnest Endeavours, before joining the First Word family in Summer 2016, with the 'Solid Gold' EP. This was their first release to incorporate live instruments into their signature hybrid of sampled beat-chops and electronic sonics. 'The Offering' serves up further evolution in the Darkhouse Family's sound - a progression that also embraces Jazz and Soul.

Following the success of 'Solid Gold', the duo embraced a more collaborative approach, embarking on a series of sessions between Oct 2016 and May 2017, building a bonafide family of musicians and vocalists. This notably included Kamaal Williams (aka Henry Wu, formerly of Yussef Kamaal), up-and-coming drummer Daf Davies (who was a key inspiration in the sound and vibe of the record) and strings arranger / player Jonathan Powell. Vocal performances include regular DHF collaborator, Vanity Jay, a masterful talent, Jessy Allen, and an amazing newcomer, Esther, amongst a veritable assortment of sublime Welsh talent…

The breadth of tools used on this recording very much ranged from the old to the new; from 19th Century violas, to Fender Rhodes, to Juno synthesisers. Despite the wealth of live instrumentation brought on board for the project, there was always a crate of vinyl nearby, to provide dusty-fingered inspiration whenever required. The whole mood of 'The Offering' radiates with a sense of organic fusion - retro analogue sensibilities blended with future vibrations. This conglomeration of eras, sounds and skills summarises the ethos of the project; as mentioned most poignantly in the title track, "unity is the beginning"…

Their amalgamation of styles on Darkhouse Family's previous catalogue has in turn had support from a wide-range of selectors and tastemakers, such as Tom Ravenscroft, Mr Thing, Kutmah, Rob Da Bank, Lefto, Om Unit, Huey Morgan, ThrisTian, Jon1st and Gilles Peterson, and their own turntable formidability has seen them grace the decks at Boiler Room, Fabric, Worldwide FM, Solid Steel, Glastonbury Festival and much more. This is only the beginning though.

This album is a true testament to Darkhouse Family's undiluted love of music across a vast spectrum. The end-result is quite simply a gift to the masses.

Back