Jazz

The RSD website has it as the October drop and there are quite a few websites currently selling it. Its quite an easy one to find over here in the UK, I had 2 stores lined up that both had it in stock for a few days after it was released.
Thanks! I guess it’s one that won’t be hard to find. I’m currently listening to a 1987 “Digitally Remastered Directly From the Original Analog Tapes” version of this record and, color me un-woke but it sounds damn good! Think I’ll save my nickels for some of the great looking Black Friday titles waiting to drop. :)

I don't know if this has already been posted but spotted a new release on Reel to Reel that looks interesting.

'The recording features a quintet with jazz legends Joe Henderson on tenor saxophone, trumpeter Woody Shaw, drummer Jerry Fuller and Gary Williamson on piano. The album was Shaw’s last studio session.'

Just listening to this and it checks all the boxes! Another confirmation of @Selaws' praise for Reel to Real. What a great time to be a fan of jazz on vinyl.

Just listening to this and it checks all the boxes! Another confirmation of @Selaws' praise for Reel to Real. What a great time to be a fan of jazz on vinyl.

I'm still waiting for my copy. I ordered a few titles from their Bandcamp page.

I think I'll get it on Monday, I've just paid the customs charges to have a delivery released from my local post office, I think it's the only thing it could be, but weirdly they say it's shipped from the US and not Canada. (Of course I could have ordered something else from America whilst drunk and completely forgotten about it).

Just saw this in the Jazz Messengers newsletter. SOEJIMA TERUTO - FREE JAZZ IN JAPAN - A PERSONAL HISTORY (JAZZ) is back in store.

This book, the only history of free jazz in Japan, has been reprinted many times in Japan and is finally available to readers overseas in English translation. From its earliest stirrings in the 1960s until it reached international recognition in the 1970s and after, free jazz in Japan is a unique music that has found its perfect scribe. Teruto Soejima was a writer who fell in love with a music and devoted his life to it as a promoter, critic, label owner, tour organizer, and much more.

If you like jazz at all, if you like the unique voices of Japan at all, this book will open your ears to many sounds you haven't heard, or heard of, before.

Introduction by Otomo Yoshihide. All new photos in this edition, none used from the original Japanese volume.

Following the action from Tokyo’s Shinjuku district to the Moers Festival in West Germany, Soejima’s book covers musicians like Kaoru Abe, Masayuki Takayanagi, Masahiko Satoh, Mototeru Takagi, Chisato Yamada, Ritsu Fukushi, Masahiko Togashi, Sabu Toyozumi, Korean saxophonist Kang Tae Hwan and more.

John Zorn writes: "Soejima Teruta was a legend on the scene of jazz and improvised music in Japan ... Much more than a critical observer, Soejima-san was a tireless supporter of music and musicians, and will always be remembered for his brilliant mind and gentle soul.

Listening to my AS Love Supreme right now, just got in a few hours ago. I’m listening in headphones rn and the details sound fantastic. The sax and drums REALLY stand out in this mastering and do an excellent job at building up the energy of the music. Excited to spin it later tonight through my speakers to take a peek at the soundstage on this bad boy. Really glad I picked this up, will have to scoop up Ballads now

Nice bit of jazz history here. I had no idea this happened.

Thanks for sharing this, really interesting.

I recommend the Roland Kirk documentary, 'The Case of the Three Sided Dream'. They show a few clips of the 'TV mayhem' moments.

Wow, I've just listened to Ballads yesterday and today for the first time and it's really great. What subgenre of Jazz would this fall into? Feels like the drinking-Manhattana-in-a-dark-jazz-club style :)
I guess it would be Modal Jazz, but I wouldn't disagree at it being considered Cool Jazz as well (at least, as close as Coltrane got to on his own recordings)

I guess it would be Modal Jazz, but I wouldn't disagree at it being considered Cool Jazz as well (at least, as close as Coltrane got to on his own recordings)
This discussion led me to take another look and listen to "Ballads." I have to admit I previously dismissed this album as a marketing ploy in the early 1960s by Impulse to get people into Coltrane's music who otherwise would be taken aback by his increasingly intense, hard bop, and free approach. What I didn't realize is that this isn't a manufactured compilation by the label. It's actually a number of songs intentionally recorded, albeit in different sessions, for the purpose of this release. And of course then you listen to it and you cannot deny the musicianship and beauty of it all.

Fact is, Ballads was recorded because at the time Coltrane was having mouthpiece problems. His regular Otto Link metal had been refaced badly and he moved to a Link rubber in the interim, but the change caused his problems, hence the change of pace. Good record anyways.
This discussion led me to take another look and listen to "Ballads." I have to admit I previously dismissed this album as a marketing ploy in the early 1960s by Impulse to get people into Coltrane's music who otherwise would be taken aback by his increasingly intense, hard bop, and free approach. What I didn't realize is that this isn't a manufactured compilation by the label. It's actually a number of songs intentionally recorded, albeit in different sessions, for the purpose of this release. And of course then you listen to it and you cannot deny the musicianship and beauty of it all.

I’m trying to decide between these Tone Poets... anyone have a recommendation?

Duke Pearson - Phantom
Donald Byrd - Byrd in Flight
Art Blakey - Roots & Herbs
I like horns, so I can live without the Pearson, but I think all are available with the Target Buy 2 get 1 Free sale, so why not all 3? (And yes, I'm an enabler.)

I like horns, so I can live without the Pearson, but I think all are available with the Target Buy 2 get 1 Free sale, so why not all 3? (And yes, I'm an enabler.)
Exactly! But I want Sarah Vaughn and Pink Floyd Animals... so I was looking for one to complete my 3 😂

Back