Jazz

Charles Mingus ‎– Mingus Ah Um (CBS, 2020 RSD Deluxe 60th Anniversary Edition)
and
Charles Mingus ‎– Mingus Ah Um (CBS, 1959 First Mono Pressing)

I indulged myself and picked up the RSD 60th anniversary pressing of Mingus Ah Um and decided to do a side-by-side with the OG mono pressing. Firstly I have to confess that my reasoning for getting the RSD pressing is the additional LP of alternative takes (6 in total). Although these are being marketed as never being on vinyl before, I'm almost certain they are included in the Mosaic Complete Charles Mingus CBS Sessions box set. Either way, the alternative takes are a real treat and unlike a lot of 'alternative takes', these are complete tracks which hold up well on their own. The pressing is fantastic as well, I really can't fault it and would certainly recommend it if you are in the market for the album. The mono pressing is the one I am most used to hearing and it does slightly top the RSD pressing for me, although there's really not a whole lot in it when it comes to the mastering (again, I would slightly edge towards the mono as it generally seems more punchy and clear). The one thing I do prefer with the RSD pressing is the end of 'Better Git It in Your Soul', where the sax plays in one speaker and the clapping in the other, as the RSD pressing is much more effective compared to the mono. My final comment would be a couple of gripes. One that seems to be a consistent issue for me, is that while CBS have clearly invested a decent amount of money in the package they decided to use cheap non-lined paper inners. The final gripe is that there isn't any additional liner notes or 'extras' to go with the package. For an anniversary set, I expected some interviews, photos, or additional liner notes at the least. Anyway, I thoroughly recommend the RSD Deluxe 60th Anniversary Edition, it's certainly a great pressing.

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

and

I indulged myself and picked up the RSD 60th anniversary pressing of Mingus Ah Um and decided to do a side-by-side with the OG mono pressing. Firstly I have to confess that my reasoning for getting the RSD pressing is the additional LP of alternative takes (6 in total). Although these are being marketed as never being on vinyl before, I'm almost certain they are included in the Mosaic Complete Charles Mingus CBS Sessions box set. Either way, the alternative takes are a real treat and unlike a lot of 'alternative takes', these are complete tracks which hold up well on their own. The pressing is fantastic as well, I really can't fault it and would certainly recommend it if you are in the market for the album. The mono pressing is the one I am most used to hearing and it does slightly top the RSD pressing for me, although there's really not a whole lot in it when it comes to the mastering (again, I would slightly edge towards the mono as it generally seems more punchy and clear). The one thing I do prefer with the RSD pressing is the end of 'Better Git It in Your Soul', where the sax plays in one speaker and the clapping in the other, as the RSD pressing is much more effective compared to the mono. My final comment would be a couple of gripes. One that seems to be a consistent issue for me, is that while CBS have clearly invested a decent amount of money in the package they decided to use cheap non-lined paper inners. The final gripe is that there isn't any additional liner notes or 'extras' to go with the package. For an anniversary set, I expected some interviews, photos, or additional liner notes at the least. Anyway, I thoroughly recommend the RSD Deluxe 60th Anniversary Edition, it's certainly a great pressing.

View attachment 69198

View attachment 69199
Thanks for the write up, I've been considering the RSD release as I currently don't own the album and you've made a great case for me to pick it up!

Thanks for the write up, I've been considering the RSD release as I currently don't own the album and you've made a great case for me to pick it up!
It really is a fantastic release. I can't imagine they will be able to release a better sounding pressing for the price point any time soon. I will also say that I just re-read what I wrote and I might have been a bit harsh when it comes to wishing there were some extra liner notes. The gatefold does contain some additional photos (which are nice) and a track listing (which doesn't really provide much more info over). Still, a 'Resonance Records' style booklet would have been a great addition.

Resonance Records have been announcing a lot of RSD releases over the past week or so. So far we have:

August: Bob James – Once Upon A Time: The Lost 1965 New York Studio Sessions
September: Bill Evans - Some Other Time: The Lost Session From The Black Forest (reissue)
November: Sonny Rollins - Rollins In Holland
November: Bill Evans - Live at Ronnie Scott’s
November: George Coleman Quintet - In Baltimore (This is on Reel To Real, but is still a Zev Feldman project - same quality and package as Resonance by all regards)

And they have just announced Monty Alexander - Love You Madly: Live at Bubba's for a Black Friday RSD 2020 release!

This is getting crazy, theres yet ANOTHER release from Zev Feldman this coming Black Friday, Bill Evan's Live At Ronnie Scotts. Thats now 4 albums on Black Friday alone. Best start saving now....

Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 16.14.00.png

This is almost worth it for the cover art alone.
I completely agree and there's another interesting story behind it. It's actually a previously unreleased lithograph drawing by the illustrator David Stone Martin. He's the same artist that designed the album artwork for a lot of Charlie Parker's LP's (The Magnificent Charlie Parker, South Of The Border, Bird and Diz), Lester Young & The Oscar Peterson Trio, JATP, etc. Really cool that they uncovered this one of Evans.

and

View attachment 69198

View attachment 69199
Appreciate your review! Looking for this RSD title, I'm finding that it's slated for an October 24 RSD drop. How have you managed to purchase it?

Appreciate your review! Looking for this RSD title, I'm finding that it's slated for an October 24 RSD drop. How have you managed to purchase it?
The RSD website has it as the October drop and there are quite a few websites currently selling it. Its quite an easy one to find over here in the UK, I had 2 stores lined up that both had it in stock for a few days after it was released.

Back