Jazz

Speaking of Pure Pleasure. How are they?

I've had my eye on Ellington Masterpieces (waiting on potential back order at AS) - and Pure Pleasure's copy is available on Amazon.
If you’re debating getting that album, get the AP pressing. One of the best albums I have and the price should be comparable. Otherwise yes PP reissues are great!

I don't know if this has already been posted but spotted a new release on Reel to Reel that looks interesting.

'The recording features a quintet with jazz legends Joe Henderson on tenor saxophone, trumpeter Woody Shaw, drummer Jerry Fuller and Gary Williamson on piano. The album was Shaw’s last studio session.'

I don't know if this has already been posted but spotted a new release on Reel to Reel that looks interesting.

'The recording features a quintet with jazz legends Joe Henderson on tenor saxophone, trumpeter Woody Shaw, drummer Jerry Fuller and Gary Williamson on piano. The album was Shaw’s last studio session.'

Cool. Thanks!

Oh man, I dont know how this slipped by me! Looks like it was released as part of the first RSD drop. Thanks for sharing this, my local had it at a decent price with just £2 postage so I have put the order in.

Reel to Real is a fantastic label and is one of Zev Feldman's several projects. I have the other 3 the have released to date and can vouch for the quality.

What are the Reel To Reel pressing quality? Some interesting stuff and its a Canadian label so I feel patriotically obliged to buy a few titles from them.

Edit: just saw the @Selaws seal of approval

What are the Reel To Reel pressing quality? Some interesting stuff and its a Canadian label so I feel patriotically obliged to buy a few titles from them.
I have the first 3 and they are all really good, on par with the Resonance Records releases (similar packages as well with the gatefold and extensive liner notes). They are produced by Zev Feldman (of Resonance Records) and I believe I'm correct in saying they are mastered by Bernie Grundman.

Only thing I would add is that they are 'uncovered' live recordings, usually from a club. The original recordings are not studio-level quality, but I still think they sound great.

I have the first 3 and they are all really good, on par with the Resonance Records releases (similar packages as well with the gatefold and extensive liner notes). They are produced by Zev Feldman (of Resonance Records) and I believe I'm correct in saying they are mastered by Bernie Grundman.

Only thing I would add is that they are 'uncovered' live recordings, usually from a club. The original recordings are not studio-level quality, but I still think they sound great.
I was looking at the Cannonball Adderley live in Seattle set. At least I can stream it from Bandcamp so I will have an idea of the sound quality. Thanks

Not sure if it will have been on all of you guys' radars, since I have only heard of her through hip hop, but Moor Mother's new album is decidedly free jazz and spoken word. Some of you may dig it.

If you like that album I would really suggest listening to her work with Irreversible Entanglements, they have 2 amazing albums. I would also recommend her punk album from earlier this year titled Moor Jewelry. I find everything she does incredibly interesting which is why she is one of my favorite current artists.

Folks have any thoughts on the quality of pressings in the Ornette Coleman Atlantic Years box? I have a couple of the records already but have come across it for a good price and wonder if it is worth grabbing. Thoughts?

Folks have any thoughts on the quality of pressings in the Ornette Coleman Atlantic Years box? I have a couple of the records already but have come across it for a good price and wonder if it is worth grabbing. Thoughts?
I have this and really like it (weirdly I was planning on playing some of them tonight!). I'm not sure if you have the John Coltrane Atlantic Years box, but it's of a similar quality. The only thing I would say is that the sleeves are of a slightly lower quality than that of the Coltrane box, but still decent enough.

The pressings are from digital transfers but I honestly had no issues with it. I actually did a comparative test of The Shape Of Jazz To Come against my OG stereo and it held up well. The box set pressing was slightly brighter, but not overpowering or off-putting.

The only negative I would have is that it took 2 boxes before I was able to get a complete set of non-damaged records. Both sets I was sent had bends to the sleeve corners (with the first looking to have taken a nasty knock on the slipcase as well). I was able to make 1 complete non-damaged box from the 2 and sent the damaged one back (which may have been a dodgy/sneaky thing to do but at least it wasn't 2 damaged boxes). This isn't necessarily a negative comment on Rhino, but I do wonder if the slightly thinner card stock used for the sleeves (compared to the Coltrane box) didn't help the prevention of bent corners.

Back