Jazz

I might be over-exaggerating here (in regards to the Joe Harriott anyway). I bought just over 100 cassette tapes at a car boot last week. The previous owner was a serious taper that recorded a load of live gigs in London during the 70's - 90's. He also recorded tons of jazz radio shows which are mixed in there. I have listened to a handful so far (highlights being Art Pepper, Dexter Gordon, Art Blakey at Ronnie Scotts) but I did see a couple of Joe Harriott's in there (and a Tubby Hayes tribute). Not sure if its a radio show or live recording though (the radio shows always seem to be live recordings though, so still interesting).
We have most of his 60s BBC recordings in our archive, but not the Indo Jazz performances (BBC taped over them!!), and he also did one or two performances on commercial radio too. If you have any of those, let me know ;-)

We have most of his 60s BBC recordings in our archive, but not the Indo Jazz performances (BBC taped over them!!), and he also did one or two performances on commercial radio too. If you have any of those, let me know ;-)
Wow, what a great collection! I would imagine one of the cassettes is part of the Julien Joseph Radio 3 'Jazz Legends' show. The only reason I'm thinking its that is because there was a couple with the same marking (he numbered each cassette in batches, he must have had a catalogue system) and it matches up with one of the Harriott's. But when I do get around to listening to them I will send update you.

Wow, what a great collection! I would imagine one of the cassettes is part of the Julien Joseph Radio 3 'Jazz Legends' show. The only reason I'm thinking its that is because there was a couple with the same marking (he numbered each cassette in batches, he must have had a catalogue system) and it matches up with one of the Harriott's. But when I do get around to listening to them I will send update you.

The Selaws' Serie, soon on Bandcamp

What are the better recorded and or remastered Louis Armstrong Albums, other than the Ella duets ?

This completely passed me by until I got an email (from Sounds of the Universe) but Maisha have a new EP out today for RSD featuring this 17 minute song. I pretty much panic bought it as I love this band.

I've been listening all afternoon to this. I managed to grab one too.

I’ve been searching every uk shop I can’t think of with no luck. They Bill Evans was my main want and luckily I got a copy of that, but still going to keep an eye out for the Giuffre
Seems to be readily available (discogs, ebay) at or near retail in the US, which doesn't help you, I know, but this still seems promising if you're trying to locate a copy at a reasonable price.

Seems to be readily available (discogs, ebay) at or near retail in the US, which doesn't help you, I know, but this still seems promising if you're trying to locate a copy at a reasonable price.
I have seen a few on discogs in Europe which aren't a crazy amount. Im going to risk waiting a few days to see if any more get listed.

Yazz Ahmed has launched a remix album 'Polyhymnia Remixed', with a vinyl launch on the 30th.

Im personally not always a fan of these usually but could be quite interesting.

On a side note, I secured some tickets to see Yazz at Kings Hall, in a 'covid safe' layout (very limited seating and a stream option). Going to be interesting how that works. As a big fan of live music (I was lucky enough to go to dozens of gigs last year) this will be just the 2nd and last gig of the year (after Wildflower at the Crypt in Jan, before Covid).

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 10.33.37.png

Another Strata-East record will be reissued by Pure Pleasure. @Mr Moore this is something you may want.

EDIT: apparently it has only been released on CD and never on vinyl even though it has been recorded at the same session as Hells Bells.

Speaking of Pure Pleasure. How are they?

I've had my eye on Ellington Masterpieces (waiting on potential back order at AS) - and Pure Pleasure's copy is available on Amazon.

Speaking of Pure Pleasure. How are they?

I've had my eye on Ellington Masterpieces (waiting on potential back order at AS) - and Pure Pleasure's copy is available on Amazon.

I can only say positive things about them. Souding is great, packaging is probably the closest to the originals and pricing is fair compared to other AAA releases.

Back