Jazz

Morning team. I thought I would share this to brighten this dreary morning (the UK was hit by Storm Dennis over the weekend so getting to work this morning was a nightmare with all the flooded train stations). I spun this for the first time last night and streamed it on my way into work:

Im sure most of you will be familiar with it, and its just fantastic. Coltrane and Burrell are both fantastic, but Chambers really comes through with some superb solos. Its just an incredibly fun album, and you can clearly tell the musicians were loving the session and throwing the music back and forth between each other.

I picked up an OG pressing on New Jazz a couple weeks ago in superb shape (Honest Jons again) for a really decent price, so it should be quite an obtainable album!

Oh, oh. Keep your wallets safe...

We’ve got lots of exciting new releases to come this year, and we’re working hard to give you Bandcamp exclusives. We recently made the forthcoming Matthew Tavares & Leland Whitty ‘Visions’ album available for pre-order. Best known for their roles within BADBADNOTGOOD - this collaborative album is set to be released on March 20th.There is a double LP, orange vinyl version that is for sale exclusively via Bandcamp. It is a very limited press and we expect it to be snapped up fast, so this is a heads-up to our followers on here.

Thanks from Mr Bongo.

Morning team. I thought I would share this to brighten this dreary morning (the UK was hit by Storm Dennis over the weekend so getting to work this morning was a nightmare with all the flooded train stations). I spun this for the first time last night and streamed it on my way into work:

Im sure most of you will be familiar with it, and its just fantastic. Coltrane and Burrell are both fantastic, but Chambers really comes through with some superb solos. Its just an incredibly fun album, and you can clearly tell the musicians were loving the session and throwing the music back and forth between each other.

I picked up an OG pressing on New Jazz a couple weeks ago in superb shape (Honest Jons again) for a really decent price, so it should be quite an obtainable album!

It's a lovely record

For those that didnt go for the VMP pressing, Sounds Of The Universe has the Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music limited Deluxe LP with 3 extra tracks, music book, recycled plastic dust jacket, recycled plectrum all for £26.

Has anyone here heard the teaser tracks for Pat Petheney's new record? Pat is a bit of hit or miss for me. He sure is a very talented player, but he seems to vary his sound and approach from album to album, and some of those are just not my cup of tea. I streamed the teaser tracks on his Bandcamp, and they sound really good to me. The band is playing really tight and dynamic, and the orchestration adds a nice touch of drama to the tunes. I pre-ordered the vinyl hoping the rest of the album is just as good.

I’m sure you know, but Lyle Mays just died.

Oh, oh. Keep your wallets safe...

We’ve got lots of exciting new releases to come this year, and we’re working hard to give you Bandcamp exclusives. We recently made the forthcoming Matthew Tavares & Leland Whitty ‘Visions’ album available for pre-order. Best known for their roles within BADBADNOTGOOD - this collaborative album is set to be released on March 20th.There is a double LP, orange vinyl version that is for sale exclusively via Bandcamp. It is a very limited press and we expect it to be snapped up fast, so this is a heads-up to our followers on here.

Thanks from Mr Bongo.
I wish they had the option to ship from the US instead of a $15 shipping charge :(

Expanded reissue of this incredible duo session. Looks like the Ali family is involved too, so it is legit. If I recall correctly the OG is often $200 or so and this reissue has even more material on it.
This is fantastic news, thanks for sharing. I once skipped an OG at £110 but regretted it afterwards because I never thought I’d see a reissue. Over the moon, cheers.
For my UK jazz-heads, Honest Jons have just listed the Rashied Ali, Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange on their website for £42. Certainly pricey but cheaper than importing from the US and it looks like the OG's are pretty costly.

Rashied Ali Frank Lowe - : Honest Jon's Records

Edit: Plus the Live At Slugs - Rashied Ali Quartet - First Time Out Live At Slugs 1967 : Honest Jon's Records

Leroy Duncan, the sub-group from the Ill Considered/Wildflower guys, has released a test press 7" limited to 10 copies through their bandcamp. I picked up the previous one on a whim, but this one is super pricey at £30. Still, if its your thing then heres the link:

Instrumentals, by Leroy Duncann
I noticed that he has the whole album up streaming on band camp...I assume a full length is coming shortly too

I noticed that he has the whole album up streaming on band camp...I assume a full length is coming shortly too
I've just finished listening to it. Its great and sounds like a soundtrack to a non-existent film. Not sure 4 tracks are worth the £30 they are after though. I might be swayed into getting the full album when released, but not if its silly money (I assume they are selling the 10 TP's to start funding the production of the full album).

I've just finished listening to it. Its great and sounds like a soundtrack to a non-existent film. Not sure 4 tracks are worth the £30 they are after though. I might be swayed into getting the full album when released, but not if its silly money (I assume they are selling the 10 TP's to start funding the production of the full album).
That’s what it said on the TP...to raise money:)

View attachment 33170

We are excited to announce a pre-order for the 2nd edition of "Muriel Grossmann - Golden Rule", due to limited availability and a very high demand observed to the 1st edition. The 1st edition of 400 copies is long time sold out. This album received favorable reviews from music lovers worldwide (please read some of them below). Recently GOLDEN RULE made it to the spot #4 in the JAZZ ALBUM OF THE YEAR CATEGORY for the 2020 Gilles Peterson Worldwide Awards - Thank you for voting! It also received an honorable mention by UKVIBE as the Best Jazz Album of 2018.

Edition #2 is limited to 1000 copies and comes with a beautiful Golden Foiled title, which distinguishes it from the earlier pressing. Thanks to your precious support it was possible to use Gold Foil Printing Technique, as we wanted initially but couldn‘t follow through during the preparation of 1st edition! And we are eternally grateful to you for making all this possible.

Full album is also available on all streaming platforms. CD version can be purchased from Muriel's bandcamp.

MURIEL GROSSMANN Quintet on tour
February 29, 2020 - 9 pm - ALICE, Copenhagen, Denmark
March 6, 2020 - 9 pm - HEART, Ibiza, Spain - JAZZ POINT IBIZA 2020. Featuring Joe Sanders on upright bass
August 20, 2020 - WE OUT HERE festival - Abbots Ripton, Cambridgeshire, UK
October 09, 2020 - CHURCH OF SOUND, London, UK (to be confirmed)
October 10, 2020 - BRIGHTON ALTERNATIVE FESTIVAL, Brighton, UK (to be confirmed)

You can keep up to date with Muriel's concert dates on her official website.

CLICK HERE TO PRE-ORDER

IMPORTNAT NOTICE

Record will be officially released on the 9th of March. You can redeem this personal code for your order - RRGEMS05 - which gives a 5 EUR discount for 'GOLDEN RULE' 2LP (code expires on March 9).

We expect to start shipping pre-orders on the last week of February.

Just pre-ordered this. Surprised to see that Reverence is still available from rrgems and from HHV. If anyone hasn't picked it up yet, I would highly recommend.

For my UK jazz-heads, Honest Jons have just listed the Rashied Ali, Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange on their website for £42. Certainly pricey but cheaper than importing from the US and it looks like the OG's are pretty costly.

Rashied Ali Frank Lowe - : Honest Jon's Records

Edit: Plus the Live At Slugs - Rashied Ali Quartet - First Time Out Live At Slugs 1967 : Honest Jon's Records

Cheers for this. I ordered both earlier but PayPal has put a weird ‘temporary pending’ on the payment so I need to try and clear that up before they sell out. I suspect it is PayPal’s way of saying “this is too much money for 2 records”. 😂

Cheers for this. I ordered both earlier but PayPal has put a weird ‘temporary pending’ on the payment so I need to try and clear that up before they sell out. I suspect it is PayPal’s way of saying “this is too much money for 2 records”. 😂

Wow, I emailed HJs to let them know the situation and I don't know how true this is but it seems like I may not be alone and this is the reason HJs think:

"Disgracefully PayPal is obstructing purchases because it doesn’t like the name ‘Rashied Ali’."

I hope this isn't true but I can't say I'll be totally surprised if it is.

Wow, I emailed HJs to let them know the situation and I don't know how true this is but it seems like I may not be alone and this is the reason HJs think:

"Disgracefully PayPal is obstructing purchases because it doesn’t like the name ‘Rashied Ali’."

I hope this isn't true but I can't say I'll be totally surprised if it is.
That is outrageous. I've had a pending status on bigger orders before but I didn't realise they held them on certain names as well. That's just disgraceful.

That is outrageous. I've had a pending status on bigger orders before but I didn't realise they held them on certain names as well. That's just disgraceful.

Paypal have indeed gone ahead and reversed the transaction stating:

Unfortunately, this transaction has been declined after we found a risk associated with your payment. We are therefore not able to complete this particular transaction.

I’ve now tried to pay HJs directly using their email address as the recipient and PayPal have put a temporary pending on that as well. Maybe I’m destined to never have these bloody records.

EDIT: also tried phoning PayPal and their hold time was 21-31 hours!!!!

Paypal have indeed gone ahead and reversed the transaction stating:

Unfortunately, this transaction has been declined after we found a risk associated with your payment. We are therefore not able to complete this particular transaction.

I’ve now tried to pay HJs directly using their email address as the recipient and PayPal have put a temporary pending on that as well. Maybe I’m destined to never have these bloody records.

EDIT: also tried phoning PayPal and their hold time was 21-31 hours!!!!
Wow, paypal have really messed up on this one. I feel bad for the HJ's here as well, imagine having payments blocked because a company decided they dont like the name of the artist you represent, thats fucked up.

Might be worth bypassing paypal and asking HJ if they can put them aside for you in their store? I know the owner regularly fills a box to take over to their Coal Drops yard shop as well so he might even take them over if its easier for you to get to?

This may of been discussed before, but I wasn't aware that Makaya McCraven's father was also a jazz drummer. I have streamed Stephen McCraven's album, 'Wooley The Newt', from start to finish and its absolutely fantastic, really really really great! I was hoping to pick up a copy of wax but it seems pretty rare and theres only 1 being listed of discogs (for over £200). It would be great if it got a reissue one day. Heres one of my favourite tracks, the avant-garde 'Soyuz Dance':

This may of been discussed before, but I wasn't aware that Makaya McCraven's father was also a jazz drummer. I have streamed Stephen McCraven's album, 'Wooley The Newt', from start to finish and its absolutely fantastic, really really really great! I was hoping to pick up a copy of wax but it seems pretty rare and theres only 1 being listed of discogs (for over £200). It would be great if it got a reissue one day. Heres one of my favourite tracks, the avant-garde 'Soyuz Dance':

Makaya is in a mood of reworking past records so why not his father's :p

Back