Jazz

Just thought I would share an anecdote with you guys.

I mentioned yesterday that I was listening to a lot of Stephen McCraven and I saw that he made an album with bassist Joe Fonda via private press (I cant find that album anywhere, even to stream. Theres 1 copy on Discogs for £40, but the sellers in the US and not shipping to the UK). I looked on Joe's website and found that he was selling CD copies, with an option to pay a bit more shipping for the LP version. I emailed the CS to see if that was an error as there didn't seem to be an option for the vinyl version, and it ended up being Joe that I was emailing direct. We have sent 10 emails back and forth since, with Joe chatting away about his music, how I found out about the album, whether I play the guitar (I dont play but like to think Joe was looking to hire me 🤣).

He just seems like a genuinely nice guy that enjoys a good chat.

Just thought I would share an anecdote with you guys.

I mentioned yesterday that I was listening to a lot of Stephen McCraven and I saw that he made an album with bassist Joe Fonda via private press (I cant find that album anywhere, even to stream. Theres 1 copy on Discogs for £40, but the sellers in the US and not shipping to the UK). I looked on Joe's website and found that he was selling CD copies, with an option to pay a bit more shipping for the LP version. I emailed the CS to see if that was an error as there didn't seem to be an option for the vinyl version, and it ended up being Joe that I was emailing direct. We have sent 10 emails back and forth since, with Joe chatting away about his music, how I found out about the album, whether I play the guitar (I dont play but like to think Joe was looking to hire me 🤣).

He just seems like a genuinely nice guy that enjoys a good chat.
You left out the most important part of the story...did you get the record?? :ROFLMAO:

Its usually too costly for me to buy International Anthem records from their bandcamp (international shipping is killer) otherwise I would of picked up most the colour pressings, they are among the best I have seen. I did buy the coloured Makaya and its stunning, you are in for a treat buddy!

Colored version is now available from TRC band camp page. Seems they only have 100 copies available. I ordered one.

Another reason to get excited! The 6th release in the BBE J-Jazz Masterclass is up for pre-order with some photos being uploaded online.

Hideto Sasaki - Toshiyuki Sekine Quartet Plus One - 'Stop Over'.

Looks like a superb set once again and the original only had 100 copies pressed privately, so chances are that you wont of heard it before!

IMG_3635.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3637.jpg

Another reason to get excited! The 6th release in the BBE J-Jazz Masterclass is up for pre-order with some photos being uploaded online.

Hideto Sasaki - Toshiyuki Sekine Quartet Plus One - 'Stop Over'.

Looks like a superb set once again and the original only had 100 copies pressed privately, so chances are that you wont of heard it before!

View attachment 33546
View attachment 33547
View attachment 33548

Woot woot! This one have been on my list but the release date got pushed by a month or so due to quality issue on the first records they received from the factory.

I'll have tons of J-Jazz records to listen in the next weeks. I've ordered a bunch of them from a seller in Germany who is specialized in Japanese records (they literally have thousands of records, most at a very low price). I'll share more information in the dedicated thread but I've ordered the first four Native Son albums (Kozuke Mine and Takehiro Honda fusion jazz band), Kazumi Watanabe live album (with Ryuchi Sakamoto and Akiko Yano), Toshiko Akiyoshi second album (with Roy Haynes on drums), Seikatsu Kōjyō Iinkai third album (check the prices of their first two records) and Samurai-Era compilation released in 1999 (with Isao Suzuki, Terumasa Hino and many others). The best for the end, I ordered my first OG TBM record, it's Eiji Nakayama (remember Aya's Samba?) with Masaru Imada (remember Green Caterpillar?) - North Plain. I already have a few other records from this seller in my cart, I just want to see how the ones I ordered look and sound. I have a few other J-Jazz records ordered from Japan. I hope I'll have pictures to share on Monday.

@Selaws @Skalap and whoever else likes Ill considered esque stuff...this is from madmadmad member

anyone in us want to split shipping with me?

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all good!

We re putting out a ltd edition vinyl today of madmadmad's own Kevin Toublant who release his first project under the moniker 'Al whyte'. 100 copies available sleeved in handmade screen print sleeve. Records are numbered one to a hundred.

Grab it from:

www.alwhytemusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks all of you for your ongoing support!

I'm sure this is also available elsewhere, but looks like Spiritual Jazz vol 1 repress is out now:

Weird timing, I just bought this along with a load of others (much to the dismay of my bank account) using the MusicMagpie code @Mr Moore provided.

Back