Jazz

Took my buddy who just got a turntable record shopping today. Stumbled upon a record I have been looking for for ages. A mono pressing of Walt Dickerson’s To My Queen. But it didn’t have a sleeve at all and I just couldn’t bring myself to buy it...even if it had been a completely seam split cover I still would have gotten it. Didn’t think I’d find a good sleeve eventually for cheap.

So I think I finally like jazz now

Headhunters and on the corner really helped, but non fusion annoyed me
Fusion was definitely my gateway.

If you are groovin on Miles you might want to check out Panthalasa by Bill Laswell, it is 4 remix pieces of fusion-era from Miles. Dubby and trippy. Oh, and Honky Tonk from Get Up With It will melt you your brain (I say that all the time, but dammit its true).

Last edited:
So I think I finally like jazz now

Headhunters and on the corner really helped, but non fusion annoyed me

I finally get it with sun ra
Sun Ra is a hard one to get into because his catalogue is just SO vast. Some of his stuff is too crazy and out there for me, but Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite jazz records of all time.

Can anyone recommend any great Louis Armstrong pressings/records worth picking up?
I bought this ages ago but recently replayed it and it sounds pretty incredible:

Pretty expensive now (I believe I bought it new from Acoustic Sounds the year it was released).

Apologies if this has already been posted...a new concert film, Kamasi Washington Live at the Apollo Theater, will be released on Thursday. It looks as though it will be streaming on Amazon Prime Video. No word yet on other platforms.

Washington paired the announcement with the release of “The Bombshell’s Waltz,” a previously unheard track recorded for his self-released 2007 LP, The Proclamation. As far as I can tell, the track is only available on Amazon Music.

Here is a trailer from the film:

Can anyone recommend any great Louis Armstrong pressings/records worth picking up?
If you're interested in used, The Louis Armstrong Story comps are pretty great. The recording quality is variable (although I have heard the original 78s are better sounding.) I have the first 33rpm ones from 1951, but I have heard that the reissues from the early 70s (ish) are also good. Might even have a better chance of good pressing quality.

The four volumes are:
Louis Armstrong And His Hot Five
Louis Armstrong And His Hot Seven
Louis Armstrong and Earl Hines
Louis Armstrong Favorites

I think vol. 3 is my favorite.

All the different volumes' covers look similar to each other but are different for the early 50s ones. Discogs is a mess for them, unfortunately.

Here's the first volume of ones I have:

Here's the first volume of the 70s reissues:

I think there are also some 2 eye and 6 eyes in between, but if you can find them cheap all are probably worth a shot. I found all mine on eBay in great shape (look new but not silent unfortunately). For <$10 a piece.

You're not going to get an audiophile pressing of this stuff, for that you'll need to go to his late releases, but this is more essential IMO.

Last edited:
Already got my preorder of the Alabaster DePlume record.

Wow. It is soooooo beautiful. Maybe my favorite record of the year so far. It’s between that and the new Jeff Parker album. Which I oddly haven’t received yet. Getting a little worried about that one because it’s the limited edition.

Anyone on this thread have opinions on the "We Are Sent Here by History" upcoming release by Shabaka and the Ancestors?

The VMP pressing is orange and limited but $39 and come out in May. Amazon has the regular pressing for $23.99 preorder for March.

Get the cheaper one.
Anyone on this thread have opinions on the "We Are Sent Here by History" upcoming release by Shabaka and the Ancestors?

The VMP pressing is orange and limited but $39 and come out in May. Amazon has the regular pressing for $23.99 preorder for March.

Get the cheaper one.
Yeah in this case I would say go for whichever you can get cheaper as well. I managed to use that code so it ended up costing me around £22 for the VMP one. I think it would of been difficult for me to find it cheaper with postage here in the UK.

Fans of the Heliocentrics stuff and Afrobeat, please check out their collaboration with Orlando Julius. It’s fantastic. I’ve always struggled to find it at a reasonable price on record unfortunately but I stream it tons. The only person I’ve seen spinning it is I think @DMacanT - great album, very jealous.

I know you posted this a few days back now, but I just stumbled across these guys again when listening to Mulatu Astatke. I did a quick discogs search to see what else the label, Strut, have reissued and saw the Heliocentrics name pop up a few times, with Lloyd Miller, Mulatu Astatke, and Orlando Julius. I've never heard of them somehow but saw that they have a new album, have you managed to listen to it yet? I have added it to my list.

Back