Jazz

I know you posted this a few days back now, but I just stumbled across these guys again when listening to Mulatu Astatke. I did a quick discogs search to see what else the label, Strut, have reissued and saw the Heliocentrics name pop up a few times, with Lloyd Miller, Mulatu Astatke, and Orlando Julius. I've never heard of them somehow but saw that they have a new album, have you managed to listen to it yet? I have added it to my list.

I haven’t listened to the new one, just Mulatu, Miller and Julius. Strut do some good stuff actually. The 2 comps of Sun Ra singles from a few years back are really great and span such a diverse amount of his output and it ain’t all spacey wild shit either!

First single from 'We're New Again' is out...everything Makaya touches turns to gold these days, but this is gonna be especially rad...

Highly recommenced!
Released today, three listening sessions in and this is arguably stunning - in good and sad ways. You just gotta love it.

Would’ve loved IA to release this - with all their artists being involved...

Highly recommenced!
Released today, three listening sessions in and this is arguably stunning - in good and sad ways. You just gotta love it.

Would’ve loved IA to release this - with all their artists being involved...
I'm with you on that. I've been having a listen this morning and all I can say is wow...Makaya is on fire! To break the conventions of not only the original but also the Jamie XX take and create something that feels so authentic is impressive to say the least.

Looking forward to spinning this one when it arrives.

I was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with the I Giganti Del Jazz (Giants Of Jazz) series from Curcio. I have a couple of their box sets and albums and I have been reading up on them. Curcio is an Italian publishing company which released over 100 compilation albums in the 1980's. Each comp focuses on one or several musicians who played together and have some sort of connection. While most of the material is available elsewhere (they tend to focus on hits), some are taken from rare live concerts and are, as far as I can tell, one of the only places to hear those on wax.

I picked up 2 of these box sets (which repackage 5 of their previous releases) for £2 each last summer and they are actually pretty good, especially these live sessions I mentioned. Not audiophile quality, but certainly decent enough to enjoy.

Anyone familiar with them?

I was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with the I Giganti Del Jazz (Giants Of Jazz) series from Curcio. I have a couple of their box sets and albums and I have been reading up on them. Curcio is an Italian publishing company which released over 100 compilation albums in the 1980's. Each comp focuses on one or several musicians who played together and have some sort of connection. While most of the material is available elsewhere (they tend to focus on hits), some are taken from rare live concerts and are, as far as I can tell, one of the only places to hear those on wax.

I picked up 2 of these box sets (which repackage 5 of their previous releases) for £2 each last summer and they are actually pretty good, especially these live sessions I mentioned. Not audiophile quality, but certainly decent enough to enjoy.

Anyone familiar with them?
I see them around a lot for cheap! Good to know they are alright!

I'm with you on that. I've been having a listen this morning and all I can say is wow...Makaya is on fire! To break the conventions of not only the original but also the Jamie XX take and create something that feels so authentic is impressive to say the least.

Looking forward to spinning this one when it arrives.
I’m very excited to receive this one too. Ordered it from Amazon awhile back and it locked in a $12 price. Even now it seems to be around only $13.

I see them around a lot for cheap! Good to know they are alright!
I would be intrigued to see the pressing info for them (struggling to find anything online) but they are good for the super cheap price they usually are. Its a good way to listen to musicians you might not be familiar too, Coleman Hawkins features in one of the boxes I picked up and I hadnt listened to much of his stuff prior to that.

I would be intrigued to see the pressing info for them (struggling to find anything online) but they are good for the super cheap price they usually are. Its a good way to listen to musicians you might not be familiar too, Coleman Hawkins features in one of the boxes I picked up and I hadnt listened to much of his stuff prior to that.
I always see Ellington and a few others. Going to a huge antiques flea market in a few months and those box sets are always easy to find there. Might pick up one or two!

This album flashed up on my Spotify last week. Worth checking out.

Also finally got round to listening to this Kinkajous album from last year. What a gem!

I always see Ellington and a few others. Going to a huge antiques flea market in a few months and those box sets are always easy to find there. Might pick up one or two!
Well worth picking up if you can get them cheap, although admittedly I have yet to listen with my full attention (I had them playing in the background while sorting other stuff out). Here's the 2 I have:

Various - Jazz Spectrum
Various - Jazz Spectrum

If I remember correctly, the Max Roach tracks on the Blue box are from a live concert in Paris that weren't released anywhere else.

New J-Jazz Masterclass up for preorder .

Just came across this album, it's on the darker, more ambient side of jazz, but it is gorgeous. Highly recommended for relaxing.

Doom Ambient Jazz. :giggle:
I’m going to see them live next month in a theatre - one of the best German groups out there.
Also recommended for night driving or night walks...

Back