It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Women's world cup is underway! Who do you think will take this? Of course I'd love the US to. But I do not have faith in Jill Ellis. She won with an already in place roster that could coach itself 4 years ago, screwed with that roster so they didn't win at the Olympics and most recently couldn't bring home the gold in their own cup, She Believes. So, I think Jill is going to get a pink slip after they don't win this cup.

I think it'll be France.
Same, France look way too good. I’m half watching the Germany game and they’re not looking very sharp, so it’s probably France beating the US in the quarterfinals (assuming they both are winners of their group), and then maybe someone random like Australia or England in the final with France.

I will remember this season for the rest of my life most likely. Our CL run was legendary.
SO legendary. The trophy you guys got for that run was super impressive as well:

Jokes aside you should be proud. It’ll be the closest you get for a long time (I can’t be too nice to a spurs fan).

Side note are you the other LAFC fan on here? If so i’ll respect your spurs choice!

Women's world cup is underway! Who do you think will take this? Of course I'd love the US to. But I do not have faith in Jill Ellis. She won with an already in place roster that could coach itself 4 years ago, screwed with that roster so they didn't win at the Olympics and most recently couldn't bring home the gold in their own cup, She Believes. So, I think Jill is going to get a pink slip after they don't win this cup.

I think it'll be France.

It's difficult to judge after the first game as the opponent was so weak, but we (🇫🇷) definitely have our chances.

That would also be a great recognition for all resources invested in women's football over the past years.

And on a side note, it's great seeing this WC having media coverage and being played in first-class stadium for most of the games

Welp, I can't say I disagree with Hope's assessment of Jill. Lol.

Hope is doing her best to keep ratings up for this WC.

I think it'll be France.
Same, France look way too good. I’m half watching the Germany game and they’re not looking very sharp, so it’s probably France beating the US in the quarterfinals (assuming they both are winners of their group), and then maybe someone random like Australia or England in the final with France.
It's difficult to judge after the first game as the opponent was so weak, but we (🇫🇷) definitely have our chances.

That would also be a great recognition for all resources invested in women's football over the past years.

And on a side note, it's great seeing this WC having media coverage and being played in first-class stadium for most of the games

I am watching England vs Scotland and both team are playing a really nice soccer. I admit that I don't now the hierarchy and which are the best teams but I wouldn't be surprise to see France winning the tournament. They have the best European clubs and, as @apassant said, France invested quite a lot in women's soccer.

But the real thing is Portugal playing tonight with the Netherlands in the Nation's League first final. Go Portugal!

I am watching England vs Scotland and both team are playing a really nice soccer. I admit that I don't now the hierarchy and which are the best teams but I wouldn't be surprise to see France winning the tournament. They have the best European clubs and, as @apassant said, France invested quite a lot in women's soccer.

But the real thing is Portugal playing tonight with the Netherlands in the Nation's League first final. Go Portugal!

Aaaand Portugal won, once again! 🥳 🥳 🥳

I went to bed ridiculous late last night because I went down the rabbit hole of watching clips, reports, interviews etc of the CL final post match scenes and open top bus. Not gonna lie, had a tear in my eye.

Last edited:
Loved being able to spend my Sunday watching soccer again.

Only caught England - Scotland for the women's world cup. Fun game but I was rooting for Scotland. England was obviously more polished but I would have loved for the Scots to steal one.

Barely paid attention to the 3rd place Nations' Cup game. Seemed like a snooze fest but the shootout was entertaining.

Woof for the USMNT friendly. I know that's they team they'll be putting out in the gold cup, but I don't really have all that much faith in berhalter's functionally back 3 system after that showing. Hopefully the women's team has a good showing tomorrow to lift my spirits.

Who would ever think the Netherlands problem would be in the final third? Portugal really look to push forward when they get possession which is super fun.

Bernardo Silva is absolutely incredible. Going to be a top 5 player in the world for the next 5 years as long as he stays healthy

Channel surfed across some matches from the u20 world cup in Poland.

USA out in the quarters again versus the way more athletic Ecuadorians. Some of those Ecuadorian guys looked about 28. Some of them looked like they probaby have kids. Maybe even some grandkids already. Men vs boys.

Korea vs Senegal 1/8 final was the best soccer match I've seen in a long time. Korea just would not give up. Down and out and conjure equalising header in final minute to force extra time. Then they do it again with last kick of the match to make it 3-3 to force penalties. Then they miss their first TWO penalties. Down and out. Hello, another comeback, through to the semis they go

my prediction: Ecuador to beat Italy in final

Loved being able to spend my Sunday watching soccer again.

Only caught England - Scotland for the women's world cup. Fun game but I was rooting for Scotland. England was obviously more polished but I would have loved for the Scots to steal one.

Barely paid attention to the 3rd place Nations' Cup game. Seemed like a snooze fest but the shootout was entertaining.

Woof for the USMNT friendly. I know that's they team they'll be putting out in the gold cup, but I don't really have all that much faith in berhalter's functionally back 3 system after that showing. Hopefully the women's team has a good showing tomorrow to lift my spirits.

Who would ever think the Netherlands problem would be in the final third? Portugal really look to push forward when they get possession which is super fun.
Solomon Rondon is an absolute beast. Newcastle don’t deserve him.

Rumors have Daniel de Rossi coming to LAFC. I would absolutely LOVE that. That guy is a freaking machine, and I was so shocked Roma didn't extend his contract. He'd bring so much experience and depth to the team. A midfield of Atuesta, MAK, and DDR sounds too juicy!

Rumors have Daniel de Rossi coming to LAFC. I would absolutely LOVE that. That guy is a freaking machine, and I was so shocked Roma didn't extend his contract. He'd bring so much experience and depth to the team. A midfield of Atuesta, MAK, and DDR sounds too juicy!

You'll have to beat out Boca Juniors from what I've heard.

Back