It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Re: the 13 - 0 score.

I'm conflicted. On one hand, yeah, it seemed like the US was just being mean after a certain amount of goals were scored and they kept going.

On the other hand - this is the biggest stage for these players. Period. They are playing for it all. I'm not sure how you coach your players to stop playing their best. You only have a set amount of subs. There isn't really a "B" or "C" team to put on the field because the rosters are limited in number. So, what do you do? You still have HUGE names out on the field. You don't want them to get out of their groove by having them take their foot off of the gas. They have been practicing and training at a high level for years. I imagine it is hard to not play at the level you are used to. And celebrating after a goal is what you do. It just is. I didn't see anyone getting in Thailand's face after the goals and acting like an ass.

I don't know. I feel bad for Thailand. But I'm not going to say,"I can't wait for France to beat them" because the US did what they were supposed to which is win. That's a tough situation.

This reminded me of the times we would play the technical high schools. Yea maybe they would get a goal or two, but it was always double digits for us. I mean some players were even playing in baseball cleats.

Granted it must have sucked to be on the Thai team, but they know what they were up against. I mean they can hardly be professional players right. It was Men against Boys. They can go home to their jobs as builders with their head held high know they put in a good effort. (Intentionally using miss-gendered English FA cup cliches).

My friend (who is from Luxembourg) and I would always say during the early Euro qualifiers, "Hey maybe we should try out for the San Marino team. We could play for them." I mean I would gladly take beating if it was from the likes of Henry or Rooney.

This reminded me of the times we would play the technical high schools. Yea maybe they would get a goal or two, but it was always double digits for us. I mean some players were even playing in baseball cleats.

Granted it must have sucked to be on the Thai team, but they know what they were up against. I mean they can hardly be professional players right. It was Men against Boys. They can go home to their jobs as builders with their head held high know they put in a good effort. (Intentionally using miss-gendered English FA cup cliches).

My friend (who is from Luxembourg) and I would always say during the early Euro qualifiers, "Hey maybe we should try out for the San Marino team. We could play for them." I mean I would gladly take beating if it was from the likes of Henry or Rooney.
I also imagine you don't want to take your foot off the gas because when you start playing sloppy, the chances for injury increase. Also, the goal differential can be a tie breaker, so the US has put themselves in a good spot with a huge goal differential.

I played rugby in college. We played a far inferior team. After it was pretty clear we were beating them handily, we put in our "B" team. I was a flank on the A team and the hooker on the B team. Well, I ripped a muscle in my back playing hooker because the other team didn't know what they were doing and collapsed the scrum. We weren't playing our usual positions so it was just a mess. I've never played another minute of rugby because of that game.

TLDR: it isn't as black and white as we at home sometimes make it.

Re: the 13 - 0 score.

I'm conflicted. On one hand, yeah, it seemed like the US was just being mean after a certain amount of goals were scored and they kept going.

On the other hand - this is the biggest stage for these players. Period. They are playing for it all. I'm not sure how you coach your players to stop playing their best. You only have a set amount of subs. There isn't really a "B" or "C" team to put on the field because the rosters are limited in number. So, what do you do? You still have HUGE names out on the field. You don't want them to get out of their groove by having them take their foot off of the gas. They have been practicing and training at a high level for years. I imagine it is hard to not play at the level you are used to. And celebrating after a goal is what you do. It just is. I didn't see anyone getting in Thailand's face after the goals and acting like an ass.

I don't know. I feel bad for Thailand. But I'm not going to say,"I can't wait for France to beat them" because the US did what they were supposed to which is win. That's a tough situation.
yeah, this happens all the time everywhere. FA cups, high school, college, the class differences in those levels of sport are larger. We expect a FIFA World Cup to be extremely competitive that when a blowout like this happens then there's more outrage. Germany beat Estonia in a Euro qualifier yesterday 8-0 and no one is calling on them to take it easy. Double standards.

also

yeah, this happens all the time everywhere. FA cups, high school, college, the class differences in those levels of sport are larger. We expect a FIFA World Cup to be extremely competitive that when a blowout like this happens then there's more outrage. Germany beat Estonia in a Euro qualifier yesterday 8-0 and no one is calling on them to take it easy. Double standards.

also

I would kill to have a world cup goal under my belt.

also

Also, a Thai player was asked if she thought the US was being jerks (not the exact wording of the question, this is a teee interpretation) and she said No.

Yes, the double standards are rampant.

Re: the US running up the score, I don't have an issue with it for a lot of the reasons given above. A lot of the public hand wringing seems a little self righteous to me. I did feel bad for Thailand after a certain point and the celebrations did seem a little much but on this stage with these athletes, I don't know how you can turn that off and after which goal you decide to turn it off. Also, you have talented young players and prideful veterans trying to prove they deserve playing time. They're going to go all out and they should.

I had absolutely no problem with the score, you always try to score as many as possible with the goal differential rule. I just think the team as a whole could've been a bit more reserved in some of their celebrations. I was rooting for Canada (don't really think they can beat the US though) and France before anyway, that's why I can't wait to see them beat the US...also I bet on France so them winning means more new records for me!
💰💰💰

I had absolutely no problem with the score, you always try to score as many as possible with the goal differential rule. I just think the team as a whole could've been a bit more reserved in some of their celebrations. I was rooting for Canada (don't really think they can beat the US though) and France before anyway, that's why I can't wait to see them beat the US...also I bet on France so them winning means more new records for me!
💰💰💰
Is Erin McLeod still the starting goalie for Canada?

I do miss the days of the big time Canada v US rivalry.

It's Stephanie Labbé now. At least we still have the hockey rivalry.
Oh Labbe is really good! How didn't I know that?

Yep, definitely have the hockey one. I'm a bandwagon fan for hockey. I watch during the Olympics and that is about it.

Oh well, at least now the rest of the world can rally against the ugly americans.

Jesus, what the hell, the Megan Rapinoe was just too fucken much. She scores goal #18 and celebrates like she's just solved the riddle of time travel.

Last edited:
I also hate fun and joy while being at the top of my chosen field
giphy.gif

Back