It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

I'm not sure if any of you subscribe to The Athletic, but they have a pretty detailed article about the Messi mess. In short, it's a chess match and no one really knows what Messi wants. Does he really want to leave, or does he just want changes at the top (Bartomeau)? City says they aren't interested, but Messi has already spoken to Pep.

One interesting thing, which I'm sure you all read: Messi has an out in his contract at the end of this year. Barcelona is saying it expired on June 10th, and Messi's camp is saying it should've been extended for obvious reasons.

I think the fact that Puyol and (to a much lesser extent) Suarez tweeted support for Messi shows how dysfunctional Barcelona is from the top down at the moment.

I'm not sure if any of you subscribe to The Athletic, but they have a pretty detailed article about the Messi mess. In short, it's a chess match and no one really knows what Messi wants. Does he really want to leave, or does he just want changes at the top (Bartomeau)? City says they aren't interested, but Messi has already spoken to Pep.

One interesting thing, which I'm sure you all read: Messi has an out in his contract at the end of this year. Barcelona is saying it expired on June 10th, and Messi's camp is saying it should've been extended for obvious reasons.

I think the fact that Puyol and (to a much lesser extent) Suarez tweeted support for Messi shows how dysfunctional Barcelona is from the top down at the moment.
I think that burofax that he sent to the club was it. There's no going back when that happened. He wants out. Barca are now scrambling to figure something out but what's done is done. I think this is the end for him and Barca. It's not like he just sent a casual message to the board about leaving. That was basically an official document saying "I'm leaving".

Liverpool have been really poor since returning from lock-down. I think they'll regress a lot more than expected this season. I thought they'd go back to back, but if Man City get Messi and Koulibaly.... I also unfortunately think Arsenal might do decently too. I hate to say it, but they have been very good. Arteta seems to have their squad figured out even though they look terrible on paper.

We've been without Henderson for a while and didn't have TAA today. Aubameyang hit a monster shot set up by playing against a backup in Neco Williams who was outclassed. There were a lot of chances that weren't captured particularly for Mane. I don't think we'll go back to back but I like our chances. We were always going to be fighting it out with City. They have much deeper pockets. We do need to add Thiago and get another striker option. Origi is about to be sold.

Seems weird they'll let him go for a free next season when they could get 100M+ for him now but I get it. He's the franchise.

Last edited:
Oh, I know Barca's board wanted the full 700M but instead of trying to cut a deal, they're going to let him walk for free now which seems odd. It's their clause, I'd imagine they could drop the price if they wanted to.

Oh, I know Barca's board wanted the full 700M but instead of trying to cut a deal, they're going to let him walk for free now which seems odd. It's their clause, I'd imagine they could drop the price if they wanted to.
His annual 50 goals and assists are probably worth 100m easily. Plus their entire fan base would hate the board had they let him leave. At least he can get a final season with them before moving on. Hopefully in front of fans too. I could still see him staying at Barca if they improve. Messi is not the dead weight that they needed to shift from their lineup.

I mean the fact that b
His annual 50 goals and assists are probably worth 100m easily. Plus their entire fan base would hate the board had they let him leave. At least he can get a final season with them before moving on. Hopefully in front of fans too. I could still see him staying at Barca if they improve. Messi is not the dead weight that they needed to shift from their lineup.

I mean the fact that Barca are close to going bust and that €150m plus €150 wage savings over the year would wipe their debt completely isn’t irrelevant.

Anyone want to toss out predictions for the season (top 6 and relegation) that we can return to once the season wraps up and have a chuckle?

City
Liverpool
United
Chelsea
Tottenham
Arsenal

Villa
Fulham
West Brom

Anyone want to toss out predictions for the season (top 6 and relegation) that we can return to once the season wraps up and have a chuckle?

City
Liverpool
United
Chelsea
Tottenham
Arsenal

Villa
Fulham
West Brom

Unless we sign a couple more I’d have Chelsea 3 and us or arsenal in 4/5. Spurs will have a poor season, will struggle and end between 6 and 8. I think villa will stay up and Brighton go down. Agree with the other two.

City
Liverpool
United
Chelsea
Tottenham
Arsenal

Villa
Fulham
West Brom
honestly this is probably my predictions too. I think I'd just flip Utd and Chelsea.

I love to see Spurs in top 4, obviously, but a lot pieces need to click into place that could easily not happen. I keep thinking back to 2nd season Mourinho at Utd in 17/18 where they went on a tear and were joint top with City after trouncing appointments 3, 4, 5-0 after the first 10 or so gameweeks. Spurs' schedule is very favorable early on (in the league) so I'm cautiously optimistic.

honestly this is probably my predictions too. I think I'd just flip Utd and Chelsea.

I love to see Spurs in top 4, obviously, but a lot pieces need to click into place that could easily not happen. I keep thinking back to 2nd season Mourinho at Utd in 17/18 where they went on a tear and were joint top with City after trouncing appointments 3, 4, 5-0 after the first 10 or so gameweeks. Spurs' schedule is very favorable early on (in the league) so I'm cautiously optimistic.

We also really were not good that season and after Christmas he fell out with everyone, we limped to second because the rest of the league was miles off the pace. We lost to Chelsea in the most boring cup final I remember too. I think you’re really really short in central defence, especially as your full backs are all better suited to being wing backs so could do with going to a back 3/5.

On the flip I really like Arsenals signings, they have addressed their weaknesses, not lost their goal threat and Arteta knows how to set them up. Wolves have singed well too and Everton under Ancelotti and or Leeds could be dark horses...

Last edited:
Yeah, Chelsea and United are a bit interchangeable in my rankings. I think it may take Chelsea a bit to gel with all the new signings. Once they do though, they should be pretty dangerous. I choose United simply because I think Ole has them pointed in the right direction. This season looks to be a battle of who can stay the healthiest given the almost non-stop football since June.

I caught the women's final but I didn't get to see any other games. Is women's premier league on Peacock? Where can we watch these games?
Yes! and I think the occasional game live on TV if there's a PL-less weekend, like last weekend

She's joining like half of the USWNT who've joined other FAWSL teams on loan too. Rose Lavelle, Sam Mewis, Christen Press, Tobin Heath; they're all joining.

I got this letter today, which I found odd because I didn’t think I had my address in the FPL database but maybe I do...
Plus they got the date wrong.
Anyway, I am now manager of the Seaton Snowflakes. Good luck for the forthcoming season everyone!

744D6624-F187-4F73-913F-4ED77919EB41.jpeg

I got this letter today, which I found odd because I didn’t think I had my address in the FPL database but maybe I do...
Plus they got the date wrong.
Anyway, I am now manager of the Seaton Snowflakes. Good luck for the forthcoming season everyone!

View attachment 65744
that's so strange. Why wouldn't they just shoot you an email?

Back