It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Yeah Messi does a lot of walking when he doesn’t have the ball. I believe that’s how he’s been able to stay so healthy and he does read the game and springs into action when he can. But expecting him to track back and defend? Never going to happen. He’s a passenger when his team is losing.

Oh completely. He’s always taken up positions on the halfway line ready to break, that’s fine, I’m not taking about when the opposition are having a lot of possession, he should take up clever positions to break then and I’m not expecting him to hare back after the opposition full back but I expect every player to at least make a token effort to press the player they gave the ball away to or move to close off the passing angle. For one of the goals last night he gave the ball away deep and literally walked away up the pitch away from the ball and the player he’d given it away to, that’s unforgivable no matter who you are.

Oh completely. He’s always taken up positions on the halfway line ready to break, that’s fine, I’m not taking about when the opposition are having a lot of possession, he should take up clever positions to break then and I’m not expecting him to hare back after the opposition full back but I expect every player to at least make a token effort to press the player they gave the ball away to or move to close off the passing angle. For one of the goals last night he gave the ball away deep and literally walked away up the pitch away from the ball and the player he’d given it away to, that’s unforgivable no matter who you are.
I think he leaves Barca this season. I don’t know where, but I don’t think he’s going to wait around and go through another rebuild with that team again.

It was kind of odd to watch, a bit like when Germany beat Brazil 7-1 in the World Cup Semi or when United beat Arsenal 8-2 a few years back. It sort of felt like watching a car crash. Honestly a tense 2-2 between marched sides would probably be a better game!

As a Brazilian, I agree that first half felt most familiar (down to the fact Bayern players actually scored all 5 goals!).

The most fascinating stretch of the game was when Barça made it 4-2. Bayern was still dominant but you could tell they were not as focused and were just trying to score outrageous goals. Then Alphonso Davies struck the death blow, and it was game over from 5-2 on.

I think he leaves Barca this season. I don’t know where, but I don’t think he’s going to wait around and go through another rebuild with that team again.

Where does he go? To leave he either goes to another team ready to win or goes into semi retirement at home or in America/China.

If he leaves to win more Champions League trophies are what he needs for his legacy. His wages are astronomical, Madrid are out of the question. So where? PSG? With Neymar and Mbappe already there? Probably not. Can’t see him fitting Bayern. The 3 English teams (United/City/Chelsea) that could afford it? I can’t see them doing it and while I think peak Messi would have adapted can 30s Messi adapt to the unique physical demands and does he fit into a position on the pitch in one of those teams. Juventus is out while Cristiano is there. That effectively leaves the two Milan teams and that’s a huge gamble for him to take to go there hoping to win.

As a Brazilian, I agree that first half felt most familiar (down to the fact Bayern players actually scored all 5 goals!).

The most fascinating stretch of the game was when Barça made it 4-2. Bayern was still dominant but you could tell they were not as focused and were just trying to score outrageous goals. Then Alphonso Davies struck the death blow, and it was game over from 5-2 on.

Yeah I get what you’re saying, I suppose I meant more in terms of the surrealism and not quite believing what you’re watching.

That Bayern game....they could have been playing American football with that score. That was insane.

It was so surreal but it kinda felt a bit like that after half an hour when it was 3-1 and I stopped giving you score updates on JQBX

Where does he go? To leave he either goes to another team ready to win or goes into semi retirement at home or in America/China.

If he leaves to win more Champions League trophies are what he needs for his legacy. His wages are astronomical, Madrid are out of the question. So where? PSG? With Neymar and Mbappe already there? Probably not. Can’t see him fitting Bayern. The 3 English teams (United/City/Chelsea) that could afford it? I can’t see them doing it and while I think peak Messi would have adapted can 30s Messi adapt to the unique physical demands and does he fit into a position on the pitch in one of those teams. Juventus is out while Cristiano is there. That effectively leaves the two Milan teams and that’s a huge gamble for him to take to go there hoping to win.

Yeah I get what you’re saying, I suppose I meant more in terms of the surrealism and not quite believing what you’re watching.

Rumor mill says he may be headed to Inter Milan. I’d like to see him at Man City (the only other club that could afford him IMO) but Serie A suits aging players better.

Rumor mill says he may be headed to Inter Milan. I’d like to see him at Man City (the only other club that could afford him IMO) but Serie A suits aging players better.

Yeah it’s still at a slower speed. I can’t see him adding to his reputation out there though. Even with him are they winning Serie A? Doubtful given this Juve machine.

I hope he doesn’t go to city but even if he does where does he play? Can he be a forward in a Pep team anymore given how dynamic he demands them to be? Maybe the David Silva role? But does he possess the discipline and you lose a lot of dynamism that Bernardo Silva and/or Foden would being to the party.

If I was him I’d stay put. This time next year it’s likely Barca have Xavi as manger and a new president and they can build his final team around hlm.

If he does it but don't succeed he will loose in comparison with Ronaldo. Ronaldo became one of the best player ever in the three teams he played and still play. Even at Juventus today he keeps breaking records. If Messi moves, he will move to his first Newell's Old Boys for the fun.

If he does it but don't succeed he will loose in comparison with Ronaldo. Ronaldo became one of the best player ever in the three teams he played and still play. Even at Juventus today he keeps breaking records. If Messi moves, he will move to his first Newell's Old Boys for the fun.

Yeah Ronaldo is a shark whereas Messi is an artist. At his best I’d rather watch Messi but Ronaldo is impressive in what he does and it’s mad the shape that he’s still in at 35 given that I still remember this little twig of a thing making his United debut against Bolton all those years ago!

Yeah Ronaldo is a shark whereas Messi is an artist. At his best I’d rather watch Messi but Ronaldo is impressive in what he does and it’s mad the shape that he’s still in at 35 given that I still remember this little twig of a thing making his United debut against Bolton all those years ago!

As a Portuguese I followed a lot his two first seasons at United and I was amazed to see him considered Man of the Match almost every weekend.

As a Portuguese I followed a lot his two first seasons at United and I was amazed to see him considered Man of the Match almost every weekend.

He did well in and around the team the first year and was maddeningly inconsistent his second and most of his third. But from early 2006 and then his last 3 years he just turned from a super skinny and overindulgent winger into this powerful goal scoring machine, it was quite something to witness first hand!

I’ve high hopes for our most recent capture from Sporting too, Bruno looks like he could be something very special indeed for us!

@here will we be setting up another FPL league for this season? I believe you can already set up squads and everything in the app. I don’t know how to do it so just wondering if who did it last season will do it again.

Back