It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

They didn't even show up to play.

Mo Salah and Andy Robinson didn't play. That's two pretty big pieces from a goal scoring and assist standpoint. Andy has beautiful crosses. Klopp also gave starts to guys who don't consistently crack the starting lineup like Minamino and Keita because they looked good in practice. And with all that, they still haven't lost to Everton in almost 10 years. Everton looked the better side though yesterday. Ancelotti looks to be the real deal for the Toffees. So we next move on to trying to get a result against Crystal Palace. The match on July 2nd against City could be for all the marbles.

Mo Salah and Andy Robinson didn't play. That's two pretty big pieces from a goal scoring and assist standpoint. Andy has beautiful crosses. Klopp also gave starts to guys who don't consistently crack the starting lineup like Minamino and Keita because they looked good in practice. And with all that, they still haven't lost to Everton in almost 10 years. Everton looked the better side though yesterday. Ancelotti looks to be the real deal for the Toffees. So we next move on to trying to get a result against Crystal Palace. The match on July 2nd against City could be for all the marbles.

City will not want to lose the title at their own place. It will take an extraordinary performance to win it there because I think they’ll be right on it.

I think you’ll beat palace (although they are in good form and are the team Liverpool did their “Devon Loch” against in 2014 so it will be interesting to see if there are any lingering mental scars) but have to wait until the week after the city match to seal it.

Everton were the better team yesterday, particularly after Lovren came on, he’s an absolute liability!

If I never see Lovren again in a Liverpool kit, I will be a happy man. When Matip went down, that knocked out the chance to bring Salah on and almost proved fatal. Not that Mo was going to go out and score but it at least would've made for more of a threat. Lovren was out there for 17 minutes and lost almost every possession he was involved in, got blown away by Richarilson, and short of Alisson doing some spectacular work in goal, almost handed the 3 to Everton. He's a massive liability.

Agree, City is going to go all out at home. They've looked really good in their return. Selfishly, it would be cooler to see them win at Anfield, even an empty version.

If I never see Lovren again in a Liverpool kit, I will be a happy man. When Matip went down, that knocked out the chance to bring Salah on and almost proved fatal. Not that Mo was going to go out and score but it at least would've made for more of a threat. Lovren was out there for 17 minutes and lost almost every possession he was involved in, got blown away by Richarilson, and short of Alisson doing some spectacular work in goal, almost handed the 3 to Everton. He's a massive liability.

Agree, City is going to go all out at home. They've looked really good in their return. Selfishly, it would be cooler to see them win at Anfield, even an empty version.

From the interview I saw with Klopp before Salah was on the bench for “emergencies only”. Unless there was a late injury to one of the forwards I don’t think there was much chance of him coming on.

Yeah, depressingly, you will win at some point but I think city are too good and have far too much pride to let it happen at their place without a huge fight. A bit like 2 years ago when, against form, we came back to beat them 3-2 to stop them winning it against us at their place and they’re a much better side than we were then.

LOVE Lovren, he's associated with one of my personal favorite Spurs games. Absolutely disaster-class from Lovren in this game. Liverpool started playing much better that season when he started to get dropped.

LOVE Lovren, he's associated with one of my personal favorite Spurs games. Absolutely disaster-class from Lovren in this game. Liverpool started playing much better that season when he started to get dropped.

He’s really bizarre, he has all the physical attributes to be a top defender but for some unknown reason he feels he needs to win every damn ball. Just chill man.

Not even being paired with VvD could save Lovren. I'm just glad Klopp finally saw the light and started Gomez or Matip in place. And thankfully, Lovren is now primarily consigned to a bench role and definitely not in the first on slot.

Not even being paired with VvD could save Lovren. I'm just glad Klopp finally saw the light and started Gomez or Matip in place. And thankfully, Lovren is now primarily consigned to a bench role and definitely not in the first on slot.
I was actually curious if what I had said about him being dropped after that game was true. He ended up playing 29 games that season, off and on again a couple times. Games after that you lot had Klavan and Moreno as CBs and occasionally rotating with Matip. That was 2/3 years ago but the lineup looks so different. All changes that Liverpool made after that CL loss have been extremely impactful. It's wild how much of an influence VVD had for Liverpool's defense. Turned Matip into a elite CB next to him too.

I was actually curious if what I had said about him being dropped after that game was true. He ended up playing 29 games that season, off and on again a couple times. Games after that you lot had Klavan and Moreno as CBs and occasionally rotating with Matip. That was 2/3 years ago but the lineup looks so different. All changes that Liverpool made after that CL loss have been extremely impactful. It's wild how much of an influence VVD had for Liverpool's defense. Turned Matip into a elite CB next to him too.

If thats the same season i remember they came to OT just after Van Dijk signed. We basically played Rahford as an inside forward on the left, like where he plays now, and Lukaku up top alone as a target man. Lukaku stood on Lovern, de Gea pumped the ball long. Lovern over committed, Lukaku kept winning flick ons for Rashford to exploit the space in behind Alexander-Arnold. Van Dijk had nothing to do, it was all down the other side. We won 2-1 with two Rashford goals, but it could have been more. All he needed to do was drop 5 yards off Lukaku and force him to take it down and build the play, everyone knows Lukaku has a poor touch and struggles to bring midfielders into play. Every time though he just had to try and win the ball and couldn't. Just doesn't have the mentality to be top level.

I also think Allison has had as big an influence on the improvements as Van Dijk. Not only is he a top class goalkeeper who spreads calm through the defence but Mignolet was awful, way out of his depth at Liverpool.

I also think Allison has had as big an influence on the improvements as Van Dijk. Not only is he a top class goalkeeper who spreads calm through the defence but Mignolet was awful, way out of his depth at Liverpool.
Yeah that too. Also you can’t forget Karius in the CL final. He was at fault for two goals. Those errors don’t happen with Allison and that game is still 1-1 instead of 3-1

Back