It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Difficult next 3 in the league now. Everton away, city home and then Spurs away. 6/7 points from that would be an great haul, I fear 3/4. We have a decent run in after those 3. That said the way our season has gone so far we’ll probably win all 3 and drop a ton of stupid points in games we should be winning...

Difficult next 3 in the league now. Everton away, city home and then Spurs away. 6/7 points from that would be an great haul, I fear 3/4. We have a decent run in after those 3. That said the way our season has gone so far we’ll probably win all 3 and drop a ton of stupid points in games we should be winning...
I’d love to see you lose all 3 but I’ve brought Bruno in in FPL so we shall see. He’s looked very very good for United so far. Makes me more upset that Spurs couldn’t get him over the line. Lo Celso has been very good too but Bruno is more of a complete package.

I’d love to see you lose all 3 but I’ve brought Bruno in in FPL so we shall see. He’s looked very very good for United so far. Makes me more upset that Spurs couldn’t get him over the line. Lo Celso has been very good too but Bruno is more of a complete package.

Yeah I really like the look of him so far. I don’t want to get too carried away but he’s the first midfield player we’ve had since Carrick retired that looks to pass the ball forward through the lines every time, that courage is the bare minimum for a united midfield player for me. When you add the flair and eye for a goal he seems like an exciting prospect. God, could you imagine a player like that in a Mourinho team having all the joy sucked out of him...

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK???? This kind of shit..... smh....... I don't even know what to say.

Wow! Thats one pretty dumb argument. I wonder if anyone brought up performance related pay given how unlikely it is that the US men’s team will ever likely challenge for, never mind win, a major event.

Wow! Thats one pretty dumb argument. I wonder if anyone brought up performance related pay given how unlikely it is that the US men’s team will ever likely challenge for, never mind win, a major event.
It also is an argument that pretty much admits discrimination.

I'm furious. This, THIS!, is their argument? Does a neanderthal run the USSF????? And it is also poor form for the USSF to release statements on the eve of a tournament game. It shows how little they think of the USWNT and their performance.

It also is an argument that pretty much admits discrimination.

I'm furious. This, THIS!, is their argument? Does a neanderthal run the USSF????? And it is also poor form for the USSF to release statements on the eve of a tournament game. It shows how little they think of the USWNT and their performance.

100% agree. It’s a ridiculous, and insulting, argument.

and @Teeeee

I wonder why they didn't go with the revenue argument?

and Joe Mac I know it's not the Euros, but we have won the Gold Cup multiple times during the Donavan years. Considering it's only been a professional sport since 96 in our country that's some significant progress. Before that it was just a bunch of college kids on the team.

and @Teeeee

and Joe Mac I know it's not the Euros, but we have won the Gold Cup multiple times during the Donavan years. Considering it's only been a professional sport since 96 in our country that's some significant progress. Before that it was just a bunch of college kids on the team.

Well, I wonder if it is because the USWNT is now selling out their games. Sunday's was sold out. Tonight's is sold out with standing room only tickets available. And the WSL definitely saw an increase in attendance and revenue after the world cup.

May 5 is gonna be interesting. But also - a distraction for olympic prep? Odd time to have the trial start.

Well, I wonder if it is because the USWNT is now selling out their games. Sunday's was sold out. Tonight's is sold out with standing room only tickets available. And the WSL definitely saw an increase in attendance and revenue after the world cup.

May 5 is gonna be interesting. But also - a distraction for olympic prep? Odd time to have the trial start.

That's great and I'm glad to see them get more popular, but TV contracts and sponsorship are usually where the money is made.

I will say that the only reason why the USMNT can fill a stadium as big as the Rose Bowl is because they play Mexico there.

That's great and I'm glad to see them get more popular, but TV contracts and sponsorship are usually where the money is made.

I will say that the only reason why the USMNT can fill a stadium as big as the Rose Bowl is because they play Mexico there.
Yep. And the contracts and sponsorships have been rolling in since their FOURTH WC win. FOUR. I mean come on. That's unreal. Pay them, they deserve it.

What is wrong with putting all the men and women's money into one pool and then splitting it up evenly? So that when the women are kicking ass, the men benefit and vice versa. Is that an option or am I insane?

and @Teeeee

The Gold Cup isn’t taken seriously in senior men’s football. The Mexicans are the only serious team and they tend to send second string sides and focus on getting one of the guest slots in the Copa America. Let’s not go thinking of it even alongside the Copa, the Euros or even the African Nations Cup.

When you counter that the women have won the World Cup, the pinnacle of the international game, multiple times I think you are beginning to get to the point i was making.

If we’re being hyper critical. Donovan. Your greatest ever men’s player? At best he was an above average Premier League right winger when he came over here. How many of the worlds greatest ever women footballers has the US produced?

The Gold Cup isn’t taken seriously in senior men’s football. The Mexicans are the only serious team and they tend to send second string sides and focus on getting one of the guest slots in the Copa America. Let’s not go thinking of it even alongside the Copa, the Euros or even the African Nations Cup.

When you counter that the women have won the World Cup, the pinnacle of the international game, multiple times I think you are beginning to get to the point i was making.

If we’re being hyper critical. Donovan. Your greatest ever men’s player? At best he was an above average Premier League right winger when he came over here. How many of the worlds greatest ever women footballers has the US produced?

Julie Ertz alone makes a case for the best woman playing right now. But yeah, there are soooooo many great women footballers out of the US. And we're starting to see several other countries step up their performance. It's a really great time for women's football.

Donovan? Really? That guy was such an ass.

I would argue Tim Howard. He was the only one that showed up during that WC. But also - I watch so little men's football, I'm just talking out of my ass. Lol They flop so effing much, it makes me mad. So I usually end up yelling at the tv, grumbling about football-diva-acting and change the channel.

Donovan? Really? That guy was such an ass.

I would argue Tim Howard. He was the only one that showed up during that WC. But also - I watch so little men's football, I'm just talking out of my ass. Lol They flop so effing much, it makes me mad. So I usually end up yelling at the tv, grumbling about football-diva-acting and change the channel.

Haha! I don’t know anything about Donovan personally. Just commenting based on perception and what I saw of him as a player.

Howard was a good goalkeeper but he was a little bit short of top level. A bit like Donovan, his level in England was a good solid Everton team that was vying to be the best of the rest but a million miles off the top 3/4 teams in terms of any hopes of winning the league or qualifying for the champions league. At United he showed glimpses of undoubted talent but lacked the concentration/mentality/consistency for that level. That unquantifiable 1% that takes you from good to top level.

Actually, Brad Friedel was a much better keeper than Howard in my opinion.

Julie Ertz alone makes a case for the best woman playing right now. But yeah, there are soooooo many great women footballers out of the US. And we're starting to see several other countries step up their performance. It's a really great time for women's football.

This is why I think is not a great way to look at it. USWNT is ahead of developing players because of where the US in general was in women sports compared to the rest of the world. The men won't generate the same level because they are way behind in the infrastructure in developing. players.

But this is also why revenge should have been to focus. I can be the best in the world at something that doesn't generate that much money, but shouldn't be payed like a millionaire. I would think the best way to settle it would be to set a equal proportion of revenue for both teams. That way if revenue increases as the WT gains popularity they would get their share.

Back