It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Really?

Mens football should not be in the olympics. The olympics should be the pinnacle of the sports in it and should shine a light on sports that dont dominate already. The World Cup, the continental tournaments and even the European cup at club level are much bigger in men’s football and it really does not need more money or exposure. And then to make it worse it’s only an under 23 competitions.

Kicks the boys completion out and have a full 32 nation women’s football tournament in the olympics. That’s my solution!

Yeah, so for Europe, the World Cup games were the qualifiers. And as a result of the USA beating France in the quarterfinal, France was eliminated from the Olympics. Great Britian, Sweden and the Netherlands are the only European teams going. Not France, Spain or Germany. It's absolute nonsense. I think there are still qualifying games for South America, Africa and Asia. But I'm psyched to see Great Britian play. Combining the best players from England and Scotland could prove to be too much for the USWNT.

Yeah, so for Europe, the World Cup games were the qualifiers. And as a result of the USA beating France in the quarterfinal, France was eliminated from the Olympics. Great Britian, Sweden and the Netherlands are the only European teams going. Not France, Spain or Germany. It's absolute nonsense. I think there are still qualifying games for South America, Africa and Asia. But I'm psyched to see Great Britian play. Combining the best players from England and Scotland could prove to be too much for the USWNT.

Are Scottish, Welsh and N Ire players involved?

Thatd be a huge departure from the norm. Basically FIFA despised the home nations FAs and would do anything to undermine them. The reason that there is never a GB men’s Olympic team (apart from home olympics where there is some weird old gentlemen’s agreement in play). There is a fear that FIFA would use it as a precedent to say that it’s one nation, one team, rather than the current 4. Scotland’s FA in particular is militant against the idea, they do not want to see their national team subsumed into a GB team. They wouldn’t even let their mens players play in the London Olympic GB team despite the agreement. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t just the English team playing under the GB banner.

Are Scottish, Welsh and N Ire players involved?

Thatd be a huge departure from the norm. Basically FIFA despised the home nations FAs and would do anything to undermine them. The reason that there is never a GB men’s Olympic team (apart from home olympics where there is some weird old gentlemen’s agreement in play). There is a fear that FIFA would use it as a precedent to say that it’s one nation, one team, rather than the current 4. Scotland’s FA in particular is militant against the idea, they do not want to see their national team subsumed into a GB team. They wouldn’t even let their mens players play in the London Olympic GB team despite the agreement. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t just the English team playing under the GB banner.

I didn't know any of that. So I just looked it up. Wiki is telling me:

The Great Britain women's Olympic football team (also known as Team GB; or occasionally Great Britain and Northern Ireland) represents the United Kingdom in the women's football tournament at the Olympic Games. Normally, no team represents the whole of the United Kingdom in women's football, as separate teams compete for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in the World Cup and the European Championship. FIFA stated that they would not allow entry of a British team in future Olympics unless all four Home Nations agreed. No agreement was reached ahead of the 2016 Summer Olympics, but a deal was formed for the 2020 tournament. Great Britain has qualified for that tournament, as England has secured one of the top three places among European teams at the 2019 World Cup.

I hope Liverpool score soon. As a neutral, watching Atletico defend for 176' isn't the most exciting thing.

Anyone want to give me a summary of the man city stuff? And how this doesn't destroy the team? What player is going to want to sign with them after this? (And why aren't the astros punished so thoroughly?)
I would love you to watch a game and chat with me about it. I have a group text with friends that gets going during games. But those friends each have 2 kids so they get distracted. And I text with my mom and sister but I feel like it is just me giving ted talks to them about the players throughout the game. Lol I do love when my mom says something like, "OMG, Tobin's footwork is amazing" or "Julie Ertz is all over the field" or "wow, Rose's left foot is awesome". I feel like I contributed to that knowledge.

The game is on tonight at 8pm EST. Maybe @wokeupnew will watch and chat with me tomorrow?

During the Olympics, I expect Joe and Woke Up to chat lots and lots about the women's games. :) (Even though I think it is a goddamn travesty that the pool is only 12 teams for the women and 16 for the men and because of this, France - one of the best women's teams in the world, is not in the olympics).
I was thinking about watching it. I follow the USWNT and USWL on twitter to stay somewhat informed even if I don't really follow it religiously. They're playing Japan right?
I hope Liverpool score soon. As a neutral, watching Atletico defend for 176' isn't the most exciting thing.
they are one of best defensive teams in the world. I would be shitting bricks if I were an Atletico fan but they make it look so easy and never fazed. I don't think holding on for pens is a good strategy I think Liverpool wins it if it goes to ET or pens.

I was thinking about watching it. I follow the USWNT and USWL on twitter to stay somewhat informed even if I don't really follow it religiously. They're playing Japan right?

they are one of best defensive teams in the world. I would be shitting bricks if I were an Atletico fan but they make it look so easy and never fazed. I don't think holding on for pens is a good strategy I think Liverpool wins it if it goes to ET or pens.

Yep, Japan. Remember that WC final when Carli scored from pretty much mid field? That was against Japan.

You’d back an English team on penalties? Bold! The English and the Dutch are shit at shoot outs!

but then they also lost the WC to Japan too. could go either way :unsure:
You remember! Yep, could go either way.

However, I think Japan has slipped a bit in performance. Whereas several of the USWNT are playing better than they ever have. Press, Ertz, Lavelle, Mewis. It'll be a fun game.

You’d back an English team on penalties? Bold! The English and the Dutch are shit at shoot outs!
yeah but this Liverpool team is just too good to lose right now. Also Milner is really good at pens. It'd be Salah, Milner, Firmino, Mane, VVD taking them probably. I like their chances. For Atletico it's Felix, Koke, Saul, Trippier (lol) and Correa probably.

Although Atletico has Oblak... :unsure:

yeah but this Liverpool team is just too good to lose right now. Also Milner is really good at pens. It'd be Salah, Milner, Firmino, Mane, VVD taking them probably. I like their chances. For Atletico it's Felix, Koke, Saul, Trippier (lol) and Correa probably.

Although Atletico has Oblak... :unsure:

haha! I’ve seen English clubs and national teams full of top class penalty takers bottle it so many times, particularly after being the better team. it’s like the poplar opposite of the Germans! Also I’m trying to give myself some hope here 😂

If you’re willing Liverpool to score then me and you are going to have to have words 😂
Do it again!
Well now I'm hoping for an exciting 120' goal or PKs. I'm usually team chaos as a neutral but I really don't enjoy watching Atletico play so we'll call it even. I'm actually on a 15' delay since after halftime so I'll be staying off anything for a bit.

The team I follow most, BVB, just got eliminated so I'll have to adopt someone going forward.

Well now I'm hoping for an exciting 120' goal or PKs. I'm usually team chaos as a neutral but I really don't enjoy watching Atletico play so we'll call it even. I'm actually on a 15' delay so I'll be staying off anything for a bit.

The team I follow most, BVB, just got eliminated so I'll have to adopt someone going forward.

I know they’re across the city but I’d love city to win it because I think it’d be fucking hilarious. To be honest so long as it’s not Liverpool or Real (2 of my 3 hated teams with Rangers being the 3rd) I’m happy enough.

Back