It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Yeah, he's my favourite player in the side. Love how in the post match interviews he doesn't even look like he's broken sweat. Best centre back in the world right now. Signing him and Allison completed the jigsaw.

TBF Fred has played well the past month or so.

Rashford with a double stress fracture in his back. He was playing with one for a while and had it made worse against Wolves. WTF was OGS thinking? Could have seriously damaged his career by making him play with that kind of injury. Hopefully he isn't out for too long and he recovers fine.

Yeah he’s a great player, my Dad’s a Celtic fan and I remember going to see them play when he was up there and if you think he’s effortlessness now he looked like he was playing against kids up there, it seemed like he’d occasionally make mistakes then just because he was bored and fancied some entertainment!

Yeah Fred is much improved but he’s still a very limited player and certainly not worth the £60million he cost. I’d quite happily ship out most of our central midfield, we could certainly do with 2 in there this month if the right players are available.

I’m not sure what to believe with Rashford tbh. Henry Winter of The Times is suggesting he had been playing with a single stress fracture and a bit of floating bone in the ankle for a month and that the fall against Wolves exacerbated it and now it’s a double stress fracture and that he’ll be out 2/3
months. The club is suggesting he’ll be back for Chelsea on 17th Feb after the fortnight winter break. It was a daft gamble by Ole that backfired either way and I just hope he’s properly managed back, he’s developing into some player and I’d hope that wasn’t halted by a bad, avoidable injury.

Yeah he’s a great player, my Dad’s a Celtic fan and I remember going to see them play when he was up there and if you think he’s effortlessness now he looked like he was playing against kids up there, it seemed like he’d occasionally make mistakes then just because he was bored and fancied some entertainment!

Yeah Fred is much improved but he’s still a very limited player and certainly not worth the £60million he cost. I’d quite happily ship out most of our central midfield, we could certainly do with 2 in there this month if the right players are available.

I’m not sure what to believe with Rashford tbh. Henry Winter of The Times is suggesting he had been playing with a single stress fracture and a bit of floating bone in the ankle for a month and that the fall against Wolves exacerbated it and now it’s a double stress fracture and that he’ll be out 2/3
months. The club is suggesting he’ll be back for Chelsea on 17th Feb after the fortnight winter break. It was a daft gamble by Ole that backfired either way and I just hope he’s properly managed back, he’s developing into some player and I’d hope that wasn’t halted by a bad, avoidable injury.

In the post match admitted it was a double stress fracture. Can't see him back so soon with one of those.

In the post match admitted it was a double stress fracture. Can't see him back so soon with one of those.

Ah right, I didn’t fancy watching the post match after the result! Yeah the 2/3 months looks likely then, hopefully it’s managed correctly!

I know MLS is not discussed around here much, but as a galaxy fan I have mixed feelings about the Chicharito transfer.

He’s one of the best finishers I’ve seen at Utd and he takes up incredible positions inside the box. He offers nothing outside it. With a decent 10/wingers he should score for fun in the MLS

He’s one of the best finishers I’ve seen at Utd and he takes up incredible positions inside the box. He offers nothing outside it. With a decent 10/wingers he should score for fun in the MLS

I remember him being always offside at Man U. He's picked up some weight as well.
We do have some promising wingers. Pavon did well last season and they got a promising new guy (cant think of his name right now). LA is buzzing. I think they has 1k people at the airport for his arrival.

I remember him being always offside at Man U. He's picked up some weight as well.
We do have some promising wingers. Pavon did well last season and they got a promising new guy (cant think of his name right now). LA is buzzing. I think they has 1k people at the airport for his arrival.

He plays on the shoulder so yeah that’s a possibility but his goals to minutes ratio was really impressive at Utd and he did play in a team that reached a European Cup Final lol! It was just our luck that we chose to reach 3 European Cup finals in 4 years at the same time as Guardiola was at Barca!

Back to the point, play to his strengths and he’s still capable of scoring a pile. Don’t and he’ll be completely anonymous.

Olympic qualifying games start tonight for the USWNT! They play Haiti at 8:30pm. But really, this tournament is all about the semis. To make the Olympics, the teams have to make it to the Finals. The US has a very easy bracket. But could face Canada or Mexico in the semis and actually lose and not make the Olympics.

USWNT just won the CONCACAF. Anyone watch? They looked pretty damn good. Vlatko was constantly switching up the line up. The depth on their bench is unreal.

Next up: She Believes Cup.

Also, Vivianne Miedema scored 2x today for the Arsenal. She's really effing good.

Day old news, but do we have any City fans here?

if City’s appeal is denied there’s going to be a fire sale of players jumping ship. Pep’s definitely gone too.

if City’s appeal is denied there’s going to be a fire sale of players jumping ship. Pep’s definitely gone too.

UEFAs whole process has been as bias as fuck. They had pretty much leaked months ago that the decision was pre-determined. I’d be utterly shocked if CAS doesn't overturn it on due process, regardless of whether there is a case to answer or not.

Also I don't want Pep to go. I don’t want that team broken up. I want to see my team raise its game like, and this fucking sticks in my craw, Liverpool have done this year and overturn them on merit, on the pitch. Beyond all of this FFP is abosolute bullshit, it’s an invention of the biggest clubs in Europe, like mine, that want to block outside investment to ensure that their position of winning is under less threat. If they wanted to save football from debt they’d not stop outside investment, they actually share the outrageous TV and commercial money further down the pyramid and stop historic clubs (like Bury, FA Cup Winners) going to the wall.

UEFAs whole process has been as bias as fuck. They had pretty much leaked months ago that the decision was pre-determined. I’d be utterly shocked if CAS doesn't overturn it on due process, regardless of whether there is a case to answer or not.

I'd be surprised if CAS do that tbh. There are also ongoing PL and FA investigations going on. This isn't over and could get much worse for the oil cheats.

I'd be surprised if CAS do that tbh. There are also ongoing PL and FA investigations going on. This isn't over and could get much worse for the oil cheats.

The whole “trial“ was a circus the decision was made before the hearing and the adjudication body has been leaking documents and considerations for months. Not to mention the lack of separation of powers in the process. That is absolutely not due process.

i don’t like the state washing element anymore than anyone else does, it’s probably the single most distasteful element of the whole thing. What I will say is that I dislike FFP even more. Financial benefactors have always been a part of football. Did you call Blackburn cheats in 95? Let’s face it they, as a club, generated none of the money that bought that title. Or Chelsea under Abramovic? There are plenty of other historical examples too. Basically FFP is an blatant attempt by the elite clubs to limit high spending and success to themselves, because they are the only ones that can generate that money. I support one of those clubs and still I don’t like it one little bit. Also there is a much more egregious example across the channel in Paris, the money they spend on transfers and wages makes city look frugal, yet im not seeing any champions league bans heading in that direction.

The whole “trial“ was a circus the decision was made before the hearing and the adjudication body has been leaking documents and considerations for months. Not to mention the lack of separation of powers in the process. That is absolutely not due process.

i don’t like the state washing element anymore than anyone else does, it’s probably the single most distasteful element of the whole thing. What I will say is that I dislike FFP even more. Financial benefactors have always been a part of football. Did you call Blackburn cheats in 95? Let’s face it they, as a club, generated none of the money that bought that title. Or Chelsea under Abramovic? There are plenty of other historical examples too. Basically FFP is an blatant attempt by the elite clubs to limit high spending and success to themselves, because they are the only ones that can generate that money. I support one of those clubs and still I don’t like it one little bit. Also there is a much more egregious example across the channel in Paris, the money they spend on transfers and wages makes city look frugal, yet im not seeing any champions league bans heading in that direction.

I don't like it either, but under the current rules they are cheating. And PSG will get caught up in this eventually. Chelsea as far as I'm aware are operating within the FFP rules, their mammoth spending happened prior to the rules being introduced.

I don't like it either, but under the current rules they are cheating. And PSG will get caught up in this eventually. Chelsea as far as I'm aware are operating within the FFP rules, their mammoth spending happened prior to the rules being introduced.

Oh I know Chelsea are fine now, I was more referring to the fact that they did the same thing but that was ok somehow because it was before 2011. Is what City are doing in some way less moral because it’s after 2011? I mean Roman’s money is hardly squeaky clean either. I mean what they’ve done in building a club and actually regenerating a whole, previously very deprived, area of east Manchester is pretty impressive and the right way to build a club and what we should be encouraging, even if yeah I’m not comfortable with where the money came from. I just think that the whole FFP thing is utterly hypocritical, there is very little clean money in football, all the biggest clubs had benefactors who built them before the quirks of history and timing made them successful and then big and then money generating machines and why shouldn’t smaller clubs be allowed to dream. I honestly want to see what will happen to FFP if it’s challenged beyond the sporting field and actually brought into the legal sphere, the whole thing seems utterly tenuous.

Oh I know Chelsea are fine now, I was more referring to the fact that they did the same thing but that was ok somehow because it was before 2011. Is what City are doing in some way less moral because it’s after 2011?

Yes, it was within the rules. It's not about what's morally right, it's about operating within the rules. City are not and they should be punished for it.

Yes, it was within the rules. It's not about what's morally right, it's about operating within the rules. City are not and they should be punished for it.

Yeah I’m not such a stickler for rules when they make no sense and are actually anti-competitive. If I was in City’s position this challenge would be ongoing for a very long time. You can’t enforce a punishment like this while an appeals procedure is underway and if they don’t win at CAS based on due process I’d be legally challenging the very existence of FFP in court. This will run and run for quite a long time and I can’t see it being as cut and dried as city being cut down to size by UEFA or the Premier League any time soon.

Back