It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Manchester City’s belligerent approach to FFP smacks of extreme arrogance. They deserve to be punished

1581871036214.png

By Oliver Kay Feb 15, 2020

The official line is that Manchester City are “disappointed but not surprised”. It is one that reinforces that idea of a stitch-up, a “prejudicial process” at the hands of a kangaroo court, because City still insist that the evidence in their favour is “irrefutable”.

It would be nice for City to share that evidence one day because for now the case against them looks damning. It is why, nearly six years after negotiating and accepting a £49 million fine (two-thirds of which suspended and later refunded) for alleged breaches of UEFA’s Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations, we were informed on Friday night that they faced another £25 million fine and, more dramatically, a two-year ban from the Champions League and Europa League.

Of course, City will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) but, for all the bullishness among the club’s hierarchy, UEFA’s announcement last night was an almighty blow to the Premier League champions’ ambitions and indeed to their reputation. Anything less than an overwhelming victory on appeal — a full acquittal, with all sanctions quashed — would be insufficient for a club that has consistently and vehemently protested its innocence.

City stand accused not only of exceeding the maximum losses allowed under UEFA’s FFP regulations but of trying to beat the system by “overstating” sponsorship revenue and, according to UEFA’s adjudicatory chamber, failing to co-operate in the investigation of their case.

The case against City was blown open again in November 2018 when the German newspaper Der Spiegel revealed what it called the Football Leaks files, based on e-mails accessed by an individual since identified as Rui Pinto, a Portuguese national who has been charged with 147 criminal offences including computer hacking, all of which he denies.

City have consistently called those leaks an “organised and clear” attempt to damage the club’s reputation, referring to “out-of-context materials purportedly hacked or stolen from City Football Group and Manchester City personnel and associated people”. The Football Leaks process seemed indiscriminate, though; whether it was shedding light on the finer points of transfer deals and players’ contracts, illegal third-party agreements or secret talks about the possible creation of a breakaway league by leading European clubs. An early mission statement said simply: “This project aims to show the hidden side of football. Unfortunately, the sport we love so much is rotten and it is time to say ‘enough’.”

City would have us believe that their ownership by Sheikh Mansour is an antidote to such rottenness — a pure personal investment by an individual who loves his adopted club and city so much that he paid it a visit in August 2010 — rather than, say, yet another prime example of “sportswashing”, a phenomenon whereby regimes use association with sport in order to launder their image. Put simply, City are to Abu Dhabi what Paris Saint-Germain are to Qatar: a vehicle that has opened up more and more investment opportunities for regimes seeking to diversify their economy, improve their image and expand their global influence. Football clubs, like financial institutions and famous buildings, always seem to be available to the highest bidder.

Petrodollar states are allowed to bankroll football clubs as long as they stay within the rules. And here we come to the subject that attracts furious indignation from some of City’s supporters. For decades, clubs were allowed to spend as much money as they liked. It was not until 2008, the same year their club was bought by the Abu Dhabi United Group, that UEFA decided it was time to regulate spending.

In fact — and this is where City do have a legitimate grievance — FFP was not originally meant to be about controlling expenditure. When the former UEFA president Michel Platini first outlined his determination to clamp down on financial excesses within European football, his target was debt. On the eve of the 2008 Champions League final between Manchester United and Chelsea, Platini complained that this “unsustainable level of debt (…) is distorting the level playing field in Europe”.

David Taylor, then UEFA’s general secretary, cited “a problem with clubs that secure debt (…) in order to compete at a higher level than their resources would allow”. That was not true of Manchester United, whose debt remains a burden to the club, entirely for the benefit of the Glazer family, but it was certainly true of Chelsea, beneficiaries of a £578 million interest-free loan from Roman Abramovich (which he later wrote off).

By the time FFP was introduced three years later, though, United, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and the rest of the establishment clubs, several of them heavily indebted, had used their influence to persuade UEFA to change focus. It was not, in the end, a clampdown on debt; there was nothing to prevent leveraged buy-outs like the Glazers’ — instead, it was all about sustainability. The financial stability it has brought to European football, relatively speaking, is to be welcomed, but it has also served to reinforce the hierarchies that have built up over the course of the Champions League era.

City, PSG and others are entitled to complain that it left them with precious little time to move towards sustainability between the new regulations and the sanctions starting to bite. City are certainly entitled to argue that their case seems to have been handled less sympathetically than that involving PSG, whose president Nasser al-Khelafi sits on UEFA’s executive committee and has a prominent role at beIN Media Group, which is one of UEFA’s major broadcast partners. City’s own attempts to gain influence in UEFA’s corridors of power have so far been rebuffed.

What City are not entitled to do, though, having signed up to the regulations that allow them a licence to compete in the Champions League, is to try to ride roughshod over the regulations and then expect to avoid punishment.

There is a passage in Der Spiegel’s Football Leaks coverage — the contents of which has never been disputed by City, even if they continue to complain about the context in which things have been presented — that appeared to sum it all up.

The allegation goes that when compiling City’s accounts for 2012-13, the club’s chief financial officer Jorge Chumillas wrote an internal e-mail stating that, due to the cost of sacking Roberto Mancini, “we will have a shortfall of £9.9 million in order to comply with UEFA FFP this season”. Ferran Soriano, the chief executive, is alleged to have replied that this problem could be overcome if City could be paid the contractually stated bonus from their sponsors for winning the FA Cup.

There was just one problem with this. City had lost the FA Cup final to Wigan Athletic.

According to Der Spiegel, a compromise was reached whereby various sponsors — the Abu Dhabi airline Etihad, the Abu Dhabi-based fund Aabar Investments and the Abu Dhabi department for culture and tourism — would have their payments adjusted so that the shortfall was covered. When Chumillas asked whether they would be allowed to change the date of sponsorship payments, Simon Pearce, a board member of City Football Group and a special adviser to the club’s chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak, is alleged to have replied, “Of course. We can do what we want.”

That line appears to sum up the City hierarchy’s approach to the whole FFP question. It has not exactly served them well to this point. There is much to be admired about the work City have done over the past decade — their investment in infrastructure and in high-calibre people at all levels of the club, the development of a strategy and a philosophy summed up by the excellence of Pep Guardiola and his squad over the past two seasons, their commitment to community projects in Manchester — but the hierarchy’s belligerent approach to the FFP challenge smacks of extreme arrogance. What is more, it threatens to undermine so much of that good work, particularly if a Champions League ban causes Guardiola and his players to question their futures at the club.

In fact, it is worth recalling what Guardiola said last March after UEFA reopened their investigation in light of Der Spiegel’s allegations. Of the City hierarchy, he said, “I work with them and have known them for a long time. I trust them a lot. After that we’ll see.” Of the prospect of UEFA’s investigation he said, “If (the outcome) is not good, then ok, we will accept it. If everything is right, then it will finish and we will move forward.”

Football was never meant to come down to accountancy, hacked e-mails and legal representation behind closed doors in Switzerland. Then again it was never intended to come down to a battle between petrodollar states, Russian oligarchs and American real estate investors.

In Platini’s eyes, FFP was going to be all about reducing those influences, bringing the game down to a pure level. It has done nothing of the sort — if anything, European football has become even less of a level playing field than it was before — but the rules are the rules and if you sign up to play in the competition, you have to go along with them. If City have treated those rules and the entire process with total contempt, then they deserve to be punished accordingly.

In Platini’s eyes, FFP was going to be all about reducing those influences, bringing the game down to a pure level. It has done nothing of the sort — if anything, European football has become even less of a level playing field than it was before

This is the nexus of the whole debate for me. I just want to see a test case against FFP to go ahead to see if the whole damned awful thing can be ripped to shreds, it’s so blatantly anti competitive. I don’t like where its come from but I don’t think that city have morally done anything wrong at all with how they've spent the money, it’s the rules that are an ass, not them. Platini really was a fucking moral and intellectual pigmy.

Anyone want to give me a summary of the man city stuff? And how this doesn't destroy the team? What player is going to want to sign with them after this? (And why aren't the astros punished so thoroughly?)

Anyone want to give me a summary of the man city stuff? And how this doesn't destroy the team? What player is going to want to sign with them after this? (And why aren't the astros punished so thoroughly?)

The club have been caught financially doping. Their petrodollar owners effectively cook the books to inflate their income in order to spend more on players.

If the decision to kick them out of European football is upheld then Pep will leave and I'd imagine a few of their stars will too. They'll have a big rebuilding job to do.

The Premier League and the FA have their own separate investigations ongoing too. Things could get much worse for them.

UEFA, due to Platini’s epic vanity, and under pressure from the traditional big hitters passed a rule called FFP in an attempt to curb financial mismanagement. Basically it puts caps on losses for clubs in those competitions. Thing is investment from a benefactor owner isn’t allowed to offset losses. It appears city have been gaming the system by overvaluing their sponsorships (from companies owned by other members of the Abu-Dabi royal family) in order to hide money that’s actually being invested by their owners. UEFA have banned them from European competition for two years. It’s unclear yet. It’s under appeal to CAS (and appeals will probably continue outside of sporting arbitration bodies) and city are extrodinarily wealthy and can continue to pay wages during the fallow period.

I dont consider it cheating because i think the rule is anti-competitive s a brazen move by the established clubs to stop new clubs being built up to challenge them. Im hoping there is a challenge legally to the whole rotten rule.

I dont consider it cheating because i think the rule is anti-competitive s a brazen move by the established clubs to stop new clubs being built up to challenge them. Im hoping there is a challenge legally to the whole rotten rule.

It is cheating when the teams they are competing with take the rule seriously. They have given themselves an unfair advantage.

It is cheating when the teams they are competing with take the rule seriously. They have given themselves an unfair advantage.

Oh come on, you know as well as I do that United, Liverpool, Barcelona, Madrid and Munich, the clubs city are attempting to emulate, could not break FFP rules without acting monumentally stupidly. Sure we’ve spent over three quarters of a billion (£840m I think) on shit players with no clear strategy over a period of 7 years and not come close to breaching it. And that’s with owners who don’t invest, they leech huge sums. The whole reason the rule exists as it does is to stop teams crashing that cartel. When the law is an ass I don’t think you have an obligation to respect it.

Last edited:
Oh come on, you know as well as I do that United, Liverpool, Barcelona, Madrid and Munich, the clubs city are attempting to emulate, could not break FFP rules without acting monumentally stupidly. Sure we’ve spent over three quarters of a billion (£840m I think) on shit players with no clear strategy over a period of 7 years and not come close to breaching it. And that’s with owners who don’t invest, they leech huge sums. The whole reason the rule exists as it does is to stop teams crashing that cartel. When the law is an ass I don’t think you have an obligation to respect it.

Our squad is what it is through wheeling and dealing. We have a low net spend under Klopp. Our owners sell to buy. We don't make big signings without a big sale first. Only in the last couple of years has our income started to catch up with the likes of you. Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea they are all are playing by the rules and spending MUCH less than City.

I think the rule is shit for the same reasons you do, but everyone else has to adhere to them and so should City. I hope they have the book thrown at them by the FA too.

Good win, terrible match. On to Bruge on Thursday.
Chelsea were robbed but I'm not complaining because a win next weekend means we're back in top 4. But knowing how shit Chelsea have been recently and how much better we've been, we're definitely losing.

Chelsea were robbed but I'm not complaining because a win next weekend means we're back in top 4. But knowing how shit Chelsea have been recently and how much better we've been, we're definitely losing.

Based on decisions earlier in the season Maguire should have been sent off. Based on the fact that they’re grown men playing a contact sport I find that crazy. The other two decisions were correct. Robbed is a bit hyperbolic.

Based on decisions earlier in the season Maguire should have been sent off. Based on the fact that they’re grown men playing a contact sport I find that crazy. The other two decisions were correct. Robbed is a bit hyperbolic.
The push against Azpilacueta (sp?) was insane. Fred pushed him into the other United player. How that is called back doesn’t make any sense. Maguire should be off Chelsea should have been level. Again I’m happy Chelsea lost but they definitely should have gotten those two calls in their favor. Giroud was off though.

The push against Azpilacueta (sp?) was insane. Fred pushed him into the other United player. How that is called back doesn’t make any sense. Maguire should be off Chelsea should have been level. Again I’m happy Chelsea lost but they definitely should have gotten those two calls in their favor. Giroud was off though.

Nonsense. Even Jamie Carragher agreed with Keane in studio it was a foul. Fred and their full back were jostling, as happens in the box at corners. The lad put two hands on Williams back and pushed him over as the ball was about to pass over his head. If he’d bumped into him I’d agree with you, two full hands in the back no chance.

We were lucky with Maguire on current reading of the rules and other incidents this year but in the larger scheme of things I think it’s bullshit that incidents like that are considered red cards.

Nonsense. Even Jamie Carragher agreed with Keane in studio it was a foul. Fred and their full back were jostling, as happens in the box at corners. The lad put two hands on Williams back and pushed him over as the ball was about to pass over his head. If he’d bumped into him I’d agree with you, two full hands in the back no chance.

We were lucky with Maguire on current reading of the rules and other incidents this year but in the larger scheme of things I think it’s bullshit that incidents like that are considered red cards.
Going to have to agree to disagree. And Son got a card for the same incident. Intent doesn’t matter studs to a player is a red. If they want to change the rule to make that play not be a red that’s fine. I’m upset at the inconsistency of giving one player a red and another nothing for the exact same incident.

Going to have to agree to disagree. And Son got a card for the same incident. Intent doesn’t matter studs to a player is a red. If they want to change the rule to make that play not be a red that’s fine. I’m upset at the inconsistency of giving one player a red and another nothing for the exact same incident.

I agree with you. He should have been sent off based on other incidents this season. On a wider point I don’t agree with the interpretation of that as violent conduct, I didn’t agree with it with Son and I never will agree with it. That’s not the law, it’s the interpretation of the law. I grew up watching a different game. A lot of bad things have been taken out but I do feel sometimes that it’s gone too far in the other direction. It doesn’t affect last nights decision, it’s more my feelings on the transformations in the game over the last 30 years.

Feels good to watch Liverpool lose a game, even thought they're definitely going to come back in 3 weeks at Anfield.

Back