It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Big game today! Should be extremely entertaining. I'm interested to see what the starting line up is. This is the first real test for this squad in the WC, so the line up today should be superb .... I hope (Jill, don't fuck this up like you have been known to do).

Hmmmmm….. weird starting line up.

Julie Ertz as a sub? She is unstoppable on set pieces - with Rapinoe setting them. Interesting choice, Jill!

I know she's not a natural fullback but Crystal Dunn was baaaaddd today and I worry about that spot as the competition gets tougher.

I love absolute bulls in the middle so it's no surprise Lindsey Horan has been my favorite player so far.
She's a beast. I would not want to oppose her.
She’s been my favorite so far too. I also love midfielders that act as the pivot base for possession and she sprays that ball across the field better than anyone on the team.

She’s been my favorite so far too. I also love midfielders that act as the pivot base for possession and she sprays that ball across the field better than anyone on the team.
I find Mewis to be a better distributor but I love how easily Horan pushes people around to win the ball and looks to move it forward immediately.

I find Mewis to be a better distributor but I love how easily Horan pushes people around to win the ball and looks to move it forward immediately.
Yeah they make a good combo. Mewis makes more frequent nifty passes especially once the d is set. Horan has hit those cross field counter initiators after winning the ball. I’m admittedly basing these generalizations off very few games.

My only gripe with Horan is that she wears #9 and I’m so used to seeing Center Forwards wear #9. So I have to get used to seeing it in the midfield.

Maybe shirt numbers don’t really matter that much in the Women’s game as much.
1 - GK
2-3 - FB
4-5 - CB
6 - DM
7 - Winger
8 - CM
9 - CF
10 - CAM
11 - Winger

My only gripe with Horan is that she wears #9 and I’m so used to seeing Center Forwards wear #9. So I have to get used to seeing it in the midfield.

Maybe shirt numbers don’t really matter that much in the Women’s game as much.
1 - GK
2-3 - FB
4-5 - CB
6 - DM
7 - Winger
8 - CM
9 - CF
10 - CAM
11 - Winger

Does that matter at all any more? Even in the men’s game have been squad numbers at international tournaments since the 70s and most clubs in Europe have had them since the early 90s. The only time I ever see teams sticking to 1-11 is the England and Scotland national teams outside of the major competitons

Does that matter at all any more? Even in the men’s game have been squad numbers at international tournaments since the 70s and most clubs in Europe have had them since the early 90s. The only time I ever see teams sticking to 1-11 is the England and Scotland national teams outside of the major competitons
Huh? I'm like 90% sure the (Men's) World Cup and Euros force teams to use 1-25, in order through the squad...

I know she's not a natural fullback but Crystal Dunn was baaaaddd today and I worry about that spot as the competition gets tougher.

I thought Dunn was bad too. O'Hara wasn't hugely great but settled more in the second half. I honestly thought Mewis was off yesterday.

I think they all had to get early game jitters out. Hopefully they'll all settle by Monday.

Back