It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Meh I’m 36 and have seen 13 league titles and numerous other trophies and I don’t feel the need to end my posts with meaningless acronyms...

I’ve got nothing to complain about and no doubt at some stage we will be back.
What’s more cringe “YNWA” or “COYS” ?

All of them are equally cringe but as with all things Liverpool I have an extra distain for theirs...

If I ever end a post with GGMU then I give you full license to shoot me in the head, I’ll deserve it.
This genuinely made me LOL.

Yeah, it seems even more pronounced now but Carli doesn't contribute much in the build up then somehow conjures up these home run plays. I mean she almost had that arching header drop in as well from a ridiculous angle. And then there are games where it just doesn't happen and you wish someone else was out there.

Ertz is great. A solid foundation in the midfield and that header was perfect.

I admittedly don't watch much outside of the big tournaments and build up as well as high profile friendlies but I've always been impressed with Press. She rarely loses the ball in the final third and almost always makes the right pass. Just unlocks stuff in the final third for other people.
A friend of mine really dislikes Press. I disagree with her. But she says Press is a delicate little flower who plays timidly.

She isn't as "throw yourself around" as Morgan, but I think she's good. Of course, her missing the PK in the Olympics did not help my case.

My team just announced their new away kit for next season and it is ... definitely something.

View attachment 7310
iqgvT.png

Been catching as many WWC games as I can, and there's been some teams showing real strong thus far.

I've got no problem with the 13-0 scoreline on the US team's first game. The World Cup rules dictate that with the goal differential being a factor. I also don't take much issue with most of the celebrating, except for Megan Rapinoe's weird pirouetting-leg-kicking-thing. She's a smart player who has been on (and scored on) this stage many times before, and has done a lot to stand up for things she believes strongly in (including not participating in the anthem in their next game). Celebrating your goal is great, but celebrating your goal like that on a 9-0 score line wasn't a great look. It happens, we move on.

Julie Ertz has absolutely been the MVP for the US, if not the entire tournament.

Our Canadian women have looked decent thus far, but they are going to need to build their efforts up as they go. This is what they did on home soil four years ago, hoping they can do it again.

France is looking awfully strong on home soil this go around. I think that close game with Nigeria will wake them up to lock things down going into the knockout stage.

Will be interesting to see how it looks in real life. I always liked the black away kit.

Also, based on the posts above, I don't think we'll be able to get away with ending our posts with COYR!

COYR!
I love when we use gold on our tops but this is a bit much! That said I'm all for teams experimenting with their away kits, nothing worse than just all-white for the 40th season in a row.

COYR ;)

I love when we use gold on our tops but this is a bit much! That said I'm all for teams experimenting with their away kits, nothing worse than just all-white for the 40th season in a row.

COYR ;)
I just wish Adidas gave us a bit more than their bog standard training top in a different colour each season though. It feels like it's only the colour that's changed over the last few years.

I just wish Adidas gave us a bit more than their bog standard training top in a different colour each season though. It feels like it's only the colour that's changed over the last few years.
Dude don't get me started on Adidas. Just look at the "variety" in MLS kits...

Be careful what you wish for, we had a pink kit last year and weird ass looking silver one the year before that. I had big hopes for adidas too, our 80s kits were awesome and after the retro styled ones in the first year of the deal I thought there’d be more of the swim, alas not...

That said I did get a couple of reissues of the 80 and the 90 blue and white diamond kit under the adidas originals brand which I was chuffed with!

Be careful what you wish for, we had a pink kit last year and weird ass looking silver one the year before that. I had big hopes for adidas too, our 80s kits were awesome and after the retro styled ones in the first year of the deal I thought there’d be more of the swim, alas not...

That said I did get a couple of reissues of the 80 and the 90 blue and white diamond kit under the adidas originals brand which I was chuffed with!
Ooh, I actually like a pink kit. The salmon pink Scotland strips are always a winner - the women's one in the WC is pretty cool.

A 1-0 France win against Nigeria gives me hope that the US can give them a good game. Hopefully, the US got into France's head quite a bit with their 13 goal performance.

This could be the case. You could also make the case that watching the US take a 13-0 win means that every other team may try extra hard to take them down a peg. That said, there's only really 6-7 teams capable of beating the US, so they are probably good until the quarters for running into any of those teams.

Back