It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

I was going to say... the flares looked cool but the chaos last night was depressingly inevitable.

I’m of course delighted and not at all sore that no fans will he allowed in Hampden next weekend when St Johnstone are going for our near-unprecedented Cup double. The bears had fun though.

I was going to say... the flares looked cool but the chaos last night was depressingly inevitable.

I’m of course delighted and not at all sore that no fans will he allowed in Hampden next weekend when St Johnstone are going for our near-unprecedented Cup double. The bears had fun though.
Good luck in the final, I really hope St. Johnstone can do the cup double. Like you say, it is unprecedented and quite the achievement for a club outwith the rangers and celtic to win both cups. And lets not forget that your manager is in his first season!

Good luck in the final, I really hope St. Johnstone can do the cup double. Like you say, it is unprecedented and quite the achievement for a club outwith the rangers and celtic to win both cups. And lets not forget that your manager is in his first season!
Last side to do it (outside Rangers or Celtic) was Aberdeen in, I think, 89/90.

First season, and at an early point some fans may not have wanted him to see the season out! Board are patient, though. In fact, I reckon if we do win the cup and see the European windfall that's been talked about (£3-£4m) from the group stages then I reckon Davidson will have brought more money into the club than anyone outside the Browns, taking into account that he's still our record transfer fee received (£1.75m when he went to Blackburn in the late-90s).

Sadly none of the success this season feels anywhere near as real as it did in 2014; back then I had a season ticket, was at every home game and had been to most, if not all, of the cup games on the way to the final. I can still really vividly remember the whole day of the final, even if a lot of the game was watched through my hands, even down to the dirty looks from a couple of disappointed Utd fans when I jumped out of the minibus I'd hired and driven everyone in when I stopped at the Co-op to get dinner after the last drop off. I'd taken off my retro Saints top in the van, then realised my plain t-shirt underneath was still a Saints blue :LOL: (my girlfriend at the time had texted to say there were "a lot of sad looking men in tangerine" in Dundee).

On that occasion the semi-final was the more exciting game - 1-0 down to Aberdeen at half time, big half-time team talk, two huge goals from Stevie May, could barely speak the next day at work. Wasn't at Hampden that year either, due to the Commonwealth Games - semi at Ibrox, final at Celtic Park, which means the last time I saw Saints at Hampden was a limp 3-0 defeat to Motherwell in the semi final in 2011.

Last edited:
I'm irrationally excited about today's final. I started my football journey in earnest when we went into lockdown. Following the WSL was so much fun. I'm all in with today's game. And it kind of feels cool not to know or care who wins. Both teams are superb and deserving and it should be a fun game.

Not gonna lie, I cried when the team swarmed Casey Stoney after the game today. Shame on the Glazers. Big time.

And just as the WSL and CL are ending, the NWSL is starting up. ALL OF THE FOOTBALL!!!!

All the time in every way. It’s all about how much they can pull out of the club in dividends and not at all about sporting merit.
I honestly am not sure I've seen a coach so supportive and caring of the players as Casey was. And it showed in how much they respect and gave her that appreciation right back.

Huge loss. They will regret letting her go.

I honestly am not sure I've seen a coach so supportive and caring of the players as Casey was. And it showed in how much they respect and gave her that appreciation right back.

Huge loss. They will regret letting her go.

Yeah the team and the fans will. The Glazers will see it as money saved and into their own pockets. They continually do the bare minimum to keep the club just about successful enough to keep generating money for their own pockets, that’s their success, not trophies or glory.

Liverpool were pretty lifeless for the entire 2nd half. Alisson netting that is pretty huge, both for Champions League hopes and for Alisson who's had a tough year with his father's tragic death in Brazil.

Liverpool were pretty lifeless for the entire 2nd half. Alisson netting that is pretty huge, both for Champions League hopes and for Alisson who's had a tough year with his father's tragic death in Brazil.

Also 2 absolute howlers from the referee & VAR that changed the flow of the game. Well 1 howler that lead to the first goal and one VAR/refereeing decision that was kinda 50/50ish and I think they got a big rub of the green with.

Great story for Alisson and he came across really well in a hugely emotionally charged interview afterwards, he’s had a rough old year.

They will regret letting her go.
I'm not sure why I wrote such an ominous sounding sentence. As if I'm going to hunt them down myself and make sure they regret it.

To be clear: I am not hunting them or anyone or anything down.

Um. Damn. That was not at all how I thought this game would start. An own goal by Fran Kirby???? Ugh.

But, Chelsea has the ability to settle and come back.

Chelsea won the FAWSL too, but Barcelona are making them look like amateurs 😱
I definitely expected Barca to look this good. They are stacked with talent. I did not expect Chelsea to look this bad. I feel like the score, even at 4-0, doesn't truly show how inept Chelsea looked.

I definitely expected Barca to look this good. They are stacked with talent. I did not expect Chelsea to look this bad. I feel like the score, even at 4-0, doesn't truly show how inept Chelsea looked.

Sometimes when a great side plays that well there’s nothing else you can do other than look poor, they just outplay you.

I speak from the painful experience of in the men’s game watching Barcelona comprehensively beat the best United team I’ve ever seen in two European Cup finals. 😂

Sometimes when a great side plays that well there’s nothing else you can do other than look poor, they just outplay you.

I speak from the painful experience of in the men’s game watching Barcelona comprehensively beat the best United team I’ve ever seen in two European Cup finals. 😂
It was an impressive win. And Spain, via that Barcelona win, has put the rest of the world on notice re: 2023 World Cup.

Wow.

And Hermosa, their #1 scorer - wasn't even a factor in the game.

Kane needs to fuck off for all I care.

Over the past couple of days I went from denial, acceptance, apathy, anger at Kane, anger at ENIC, and now no longer as upset with Kane. I still think leaking things and releasing that interview with Neville before the season is over is a huge mistake and detracts focus from the end of the season. Doing it in the summer right after the season is done, who cares, that's fine. Eriksen had an interview after the CL final with Dutch press where he said he was looking for a new challenge. Kane is burning bridges with the club and players by throwing them under the bus, sucking up to Mourinho when he was one of the few players who still backed him until the end. Kane must have had blinders on to how Jose treated the rest of the squad. Honestly, Spurs should take the 150m from City and run. Focusing the entire team's play on one player (or two, if you include Son) is not the way to go. There's a reason why in the middle third of the 2018/2019 season Spurs were playing much better without Kane right up until he came back.

Kane's problem is he's getting up there in age and is very injury prone for a guy with what might be in the 100M+ transfer fee range. The only two clubs I could see doing that are City and Chelsea. I could see Chelsea maybe doing it but I don't think City will pull the trigger on that. I know they need an Aguero replacement but I don't think Pep and Kane would do well together. I also don't think Real Madrid and Barca could or will get involved when Mbappe and Haaland are up for a possible move this offseason. We know Man U and Liverpool would both be out. I just don't see a team willing to splash the cash for Kane. But I also didn't think Barcelona would make all of Liverpool's dreams come true with the Coutinho deal, so what do I know.

Kane needs to fuck off for all I care.

Over the past couple of days I went from denial, acceptance, apathy, anger at Kane, anger at ENIC, and now no longer as upset with Kane. I still think leaking things and releasing that interview with Neville before the season is over is a huge mistake and detracts focus from the end of the season. Doing it in the summer right after the season is done, who cares, that's fine. Eriksen had an interview after the CL final with Dutch press where he said he was looking for a new challenge. Kane is burning bridges with the club and players by throwing them under the bus, sucking up to Mourinho when he was one of the few players who still backed him until the end. Kane must have had blinders on to how Jose treated the rest of the squad. Honestly, Spurs should take the 150m from City and run. Focusing the entire team's play on one player (or two, if you include Son) is not the way to go. There's a reason why in the middle third of the 2018/2019 season Spurs were playing much better without Kane right up until he came back.

The anger will soften and whether he stays, or goes, you’ll end up remembering the good times. I remember ranting like this about Ronaldo in 2009, now I just remember that great team built around him!

Back