It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Yeah, Rivaldo played for both Palmeiras and Corinthians in the 90s. I actually remember when he first popped up in a small club called Mogi-Mirim. Sadly because he played for São Paulo’s biggest rivals I did not appreciate him during his playing career, which was foolish in retrospect (that dummy to Ronaldo in the 2002 WC final was perfect). He eventually joined São Paulo for a brief spell... in 2011. You can guess how well that went!

Yeah he was brilliant in both the 98 and 02 world cups. I have great memories of him and Figo having to play at a ridiculous level to drag a pretty average Barcelona team to the later stages of Europe in the late 90s/early 00s. United had the two 3-3 matches in the treble year 98-99 and he was head and shoulders above every other player on in the pitch in both matches.

Brentford are back to Wembley. They'll find out their opponent later today when Swansea and Barnsley face off. I root a bit for either Brentford or Barnsley because it would be nice to see some new blood in the EPL.

Brentford are back to Wembley. They'll find out their opponent later today when Swansea and Barnsley face off. I root a bit for either Brentford or Barnsley because it would be nice to see some new blood in the EPL.

Barnsley have been in the Premier League before 😉

Right. I meant in this century. It's been 24 years.

23 😉

I wouldn’t have minded any of the four playoff teams going up to be honest. I have a soft spot for how Bournemouth and Swansea try to play, I’d like to see how the lad Toney at Brentford would do a level up and Barnsley are a genuinely small team punching above their weight.

23 😉

I wouldn’t have minded any of the four playoff teams going up to be honest. I have a soft spot for how Bournemouth and Swansea try to play, I’d like to see how the lad Toney at Brentford would do a level up and Barnsley are a genuinely small team punching above their weight.
Brentford has been knocking on the door for a few years now. I’ve been wanting to see them succeed since I randomly picked them as my Career Mode team on FIFA 2013!

Going to a be a fun final day today in the EPL!

Don't forget the irony of Liverpool's ownership wanting to jettison the Champions League for the guaranteed Super League money while now pinning all their hopes on Liverpool to clinch Champions League on Sunday to have the extra money needed to compete in the marketplace with all the other Super League wannabe teams.
two new partial ownership groups (led by Labron James and Billy Beane) should help as well.

I believe this is Brentfords 6th trip to Wembley and 11th playoff try ? So they are due. It will be a interesting contrast in styles as Swansea plays a pretty sound defensive game and Brentford attack and both teams are certainly familiar with each other. Hoping to visit Brentfords new ground, and the refurbished Craven Cottage (6 mi bike ride along the Thames) next trip over.

Last edited:
I watched the last 20 minutes of that match. Man, where was that Spurs team all season?! Shows the potential if there’s any chance of Kane staying with them.
I think you mean Bale. He changed the game when he came on. We’ll miss Kane for sure, but I’d love to keep Bale around for one more season especially if Kane is off.

I think you mean Bale. He changed the game when he came on. We’ll miss Kane for sure, but I’d love to keep Bale around for one more season especially if Kane is off.
Yeah, Bale was great...I guess I meant Spurs with Bale and Song and Kane could do some damage with a full season together.

Yeah, Bale was great...I guess I meant Spurs with Bale and Song and Kane could do some damage with a full season together.
Absolutely, it was criminal how little they played together through the whole season. If both stay I really hope we see more of them together. Neither of them will be distracted by the Euros coming and hopefully will be focused on the next season. Probably won’t happen if Kane is off but I can hope.

I played in a pickup game with a bunch of guys I played with for about 10 years, every Saturday. It ranged in age from 30-80. Man my back an knees hurt today. Gonna play a coed over 30 this summer indoor. We will see if I make it.

I’ve been playing in two local leagues for the past few years (except for 2020) and basically my week consists of playing on Sunday and hurting on Monday and Tuesday, then playing on Wednesday and hurting on Thursday and Friday. At least I feel alright on Saturdays!

I wish I lived in a big enough city for an over-30 league. College kids back home for the summer have been kicking my butt so far this season.

Back