It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

I'm just happy Liverpool was able to win both Champions League and the EPL in back to back years because it really feels we were nothing more than a one year road bump to the City machine in the EPL.
I think it illustrates the importance of having a solid defence and VVD has been a huge miss this season for Liverpool.

What is it they say in America?

Defense-Wins-Championships.jpg

It looks like Wijnaldum is off alright. Mainly because it’s a Bosman. I thought you’d agreed a deal for a centre half from Leipzig too?

I can’t see you selling any of the rest. Due to current financial restrictions I don’t see Keita being a priority for anyone and equally although they’re not old I can’t see the top sides paying the money it’d take to prise away Mane or Salah given their age and the opportunity to sign considerably younger superstars for similar money.

Liverpool also have the advantage of history and prestige that means alongside United their the club that can hold non-homegrown stars for a year or two longer than other clubs whilst out of the Champions League. Plus the Klopp factor, players want to play for him.

There won’t be huge squad flux this summer for anyone in my opinion. It’ll all be about off loading and bringing in the right 2 or 3 in the more constrained market.
Gini seems ready to go to Barcelona but he got a taste of what losing to Real Madrid will feel like for the next couple of years. With the mess that club has become, I fear he may be looking at some dark times.

I just saw some Konate news that he's going to have his medical soon. They can keep Kabak for 18M I believe which isn't bad. He doesn't have the speed necessary to fully compete in the EPL but he would be a great backup option to a healthy Gomez and VvD. Given Konate is happening, I wonder how that affects keeping Kabak because you can't exactly count on Matip or Gomez to remain healthy which is a shame given the talent of each player.

I'm wondering who makes the splash move for Haaland. Part of me really hopes Dortmund can get that final Champions League spot so he doesn't move just yet. I really don't want to see him in La Liga.

Gini seems ready to go to Barcelona but he got a taste of what losing to Real Madrid will feel like for the next couple of years. With the mess that club has become, I fear he may be looking at some dark times.

I just saw some Konate news that he's going to have his medical soon. They can keep Kabak for 18M I believe which isn't bad. He doesn't have the speed necessary to fully compete in the EPL but he would be a great backup option to a healthy Gomez and VvD. Given Konate is happening, I wonder how that affects keeping Kabak because you can't exactly count on Matip or Gomez to remain healthy which is a shame given the talent of each player.

I'm wondering who makes the splash move for Haaland. Part of me really hopes Dortmund can get that final Champions League spot so he doesn't move just yet. I really don't want to see him in La Liga.

I have a feeling that given COVID restrictions only the English clubs can afford him. I don’t think the Glazers will sanction the cost given the release clause next summer. Chelsea desperately want him but will they pay the huge price this year? City would be interesting they can certainly afford it but while they’ve always spent big they’ve historically been unwilling to spend HUGE on one player plus Pep’s seeming natural distrust of strikers.

So Pulisic in the final. Is this the first American?

Jovan Kirovski is the only American with a medal but he didn’t make the final squad (he played in an earlier round in 96/97). If he makes the squad he’ll be the first to do that.

Edit: Zak Stefan should be on the bench for city too so likely joint.

We avoided the Super League but these semifinals showed that’s it’s still here in some way. Money can be buy.

We avoided the Super League but these semifinals showed that’s it’s still here in some way. Money can be buy.

They did all have to qualify. Unless we go back to only the champions in the European Cup (which I’d ball all for...) you’re always going to end up with these types of semis.

Jovan Kirovski is the only American with a medal but he didn’t make the final squad (he played in an earlier round in 96/97). If he makes the squad he’ll be the first to do that.

I bet you he wears that medal around Galaxy facilities to this day.

Round 1 of that Final begins on Saturday. It might not be the sexiest matchup but Chelsea's been great since Tuschel took over and City's a machine.

Round 1 of that Final begins on Saturday. It might not be the sexiest matchup but Chelsea's been great since Tuschel took over and City's a machine.

I think Chelsea, a bit like us, are all wrong for city. Despite city being a superior team that ability to drop deep, defend well and hit on the break with pace and quality means I’m tossing a coin over who wins. I hope Aguero plays some part, I think it could be a game where the false 9 is an indulgence too far and they may need a proper sniffer up the top.

If I was city I’d maybe play games and start with a weird team on Saturday. Psych Chelsea out. They need the points much more in the race for fourth so I don’t think they can indulge in that!

Zack and Christian are apparently both from Pennsylvania.

Reactions: mgp
Interestingly if you go north to Canada there are 2 medals won by a single Canadian born player but the only Canadian international to win it was born in Ghana.
Didn’t the Canadian born player actually play for England? (If we’re thinking of the same person)

Interestingly if you go north to Canada there are 2 medals won by a single Canadian born player but the only Canadian international to win it was born in Ghana.
A current Canadian international was born in the same Scottish city (and likely same hospital) as me.

And again! Fucking VAR! A goalkeeper can spread themselves and handle the ball well outside their box now. Shaking my head.

What a damn day for football news!

I haven't read through the gazillion pages you all put up since last I was in here, but I sure do someone, just one ally, mentioned that the Chelsea Women's FC is in the Champions League final this Sunday v. Barcelona. I know that Chelsea is owned by oil. But throw some support behind the women, this team is incredible. As is the Barca team.

Casey Stoney stepped down as the Man U coach today. That came completely out of the blue. She was excellent in building that team. A main reason given for her departure: she was pissed that the women's facilities were shit. And those shitty facilities were causing lots of injuries (Tobin Heath being one) Rumors are that Casey is the candidate for the new San Diego NWSL team coming in 2022.

Several of the best French women have signed with the OL Reign (Rapinoe plays there). Le Sommer signed today and she joins Bouhaddi (top 3 goalie in the world right now) and Marozsán. That team just got scary good.

Rumors are that Sammy Mewis is returning to NC. Which likely means that Rose Lavelle will follow her out of Manchester City. And that really scary good team, OL Reign, owns the rights to Rose.

Congrats to the Thorns for winning the Challenge Cup. Look to the Thorns and the Reign in the championship for the season. I'm calling it now. With the Reign winning it.

Back