It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

What a damn day for football news!

I haven't read through the gazillion pages you all put up since last I was in here, but I sure do someone, just one ally, mentioned that the Chelsea Women's FC is in the Champions League final this Sunday v. Barcelona. I know that Chelsea is owned by oil. But throw some support behind the women, this team is incredible. As is the Barca team.

Casey Stoney stepped down as the Man U coach today. That came completely out of the blue. She was excellent in building that team. A main reason given for her departure: she was pissed that the women's facilities were shit. And those shitty facilities were causing lots of injuries (Tobin Heath being one) Rumors are that Casey is the candidate for the new San Diego NWSL team coming in 2022.

Several of the best French women have signed with the OL Reign (Rapinoe plays there). Le Sommer signed today and she joins Bouhaddi (top 3 goalie in the world right now) and Marozsán. That team just got scary good.

Rumors are that Sammy Mewis is returning to NC. Which likely means that Rose Lavelle will follow her out of Manchester City. And that really scary good team, OL Reign, owns the rights to Rose.

Congrats to the Thorns for winning the Challenge Cup. Look to the Thorns and the Reign in the championship for the season. I'm calling it now. With the Reign winning it.
I've been watching Chelsea for most of this season and I think I might need a Sam Kerr jersey. She's phenomenal.

I've been watching Chelsea for most of this season and I think I might need a Sam Kerr jersey. She's phenomenal.
Nola, thank you so much for being my ally in my determination to not allow this thread to be the MEN'S football thread.

Sam Kerr started out the season so so so very slow with Chelsea. People were commenting left and right about how she had lost some of her magic since leaving the NWSL (and being the top scorer there). Welp, she sure did show them! Golden Boot winner. Her partnership on the field with Fran Kirby has been really fun to watch. Their goalie, Berger, has been nearly perfect this last month.

I can't wait for Sunday. It is going to be such a fun game. And I have zero idea who will win. Both teams are excellent this year. I wish we could watch together! In NOLA, with beer. And a Hansen's sno ball after the game.

Nola, thank you so much for being my ally in my determination to not allow this thread to be the MEN'S football thread.

Sam Kerr started out the season so so so very slow with Chelsea. People were commenting left and right about how she had lost some of her magic since leaving the NWSL (and being the top scorer there). Welp, she sure did show them! Golden Boot winner. Her partnership on the field with Fran Kirby has been really fun to watch. Their goalie, Berger, has been nearly perfect this last month.

I can't wait for Sunday. It is going to be such a fun game. And I have zero idea who will win. Both teams are excellent this year. I wish we could watch together! In NOLA, with beer. And a Hansen's sno ball after the game.
I'm so excited!!
We finally got fiber and I think we are going to transition away from cable and go with a combo of antenna and streaming. This means that the fiscal policy I place on myself will allow me to finally just get a Peacock account so that I can see a lot more of the women's games.

I'm so excited!!
We finally got fiber and I think we are going to transition away from cable and go with a combo of antenna and streaming. This means that the fiscal policy I place on myself will allow me to finally just get a Peacock account so that I can see a lot more of the women's games.
Paramount is airing the final. And I'm livid - I'm so sick of womens' games being behind pay walls. It doesn't help to grow the game if we make it harder for the fans to watch.

I'll have to find it on UEFA.TV or some other streaming platform.

Paramount is airing the final. And I'm livid - I'm so sick of womens' games being behind pay walls. It doesn't help to grow the game if we make it harder for the fans to watch.

Do you have a good VPN? Despite being a pay service on TVs BT Sport are offering it free to view on bt.com/sport for viewers in the U.K.

Since my kid is obsessed with Sponge Bob, we're also springing for Paramount plus, but that does suck.

Do you have a good VPN? Despite being a pay service on TVs BT Sport are offering it free to view on bt.com/sport for viewers in the U.K.
I'll have to see if this is an option since my internet is much faster now.

Since my kid is obsessed with Sponge Bob, we're also springing for Paramount plus, but that does suck.

I'll have to see if this is an option since my internet is much faster now.

If your VPN can trick BT it’s well worth a go. Their football coverage is usually very good across both men’s and women’s.

Although a little word of warning some of these TV channels are getting better at detecting VPNs. I’m not longer able to get the bbc iplayer over here through one anymore.

Last edited:
I do not have a good VPN and have been advised recently to get one. Since the NWSL are on Paramount (which I don't have) and Twitch (which is geo blocked because Paramount).

Do any of you all have any suggestions for a good VPN for these exact football purposes?

As far as watching games there's lots of free streams out there but sometimes it's difficult to find a good one (RIP r/soccerstreams). It usually takes a lot of trial and error. Usually I'll search whatever match I want to watch on twitter and weed through some spam to find a good stream.

EDIT: just found this site which is from the same folks as r/soccerstreams - Reddit Soccer Streams | Soccer Streams | The Original SoccerStreams

As far as watching games there's lots of free streams out there but sometimes it's difficult to find a good one (RIP r/soccerstreams). It usually takes a lot of trial and error. Usually I'll search whatever match I want to watch on twitter and weed through some spam to find a good stream.

EDIT: just found this site which is from the same folks as r/soccerstreams - Reddit Soccer Streams | Soccer Streams | The Original SoccerStreams
I do the same re: Twitter.

I also use the FotMob app. Honestly, my weekend mornings are a bit frantic searching for the games I want to watch. And now that the outside world is opening, I get to add in the fun "will any bar have the game on?" aspect to the chaos.

I’m so happy to see Leicester City win the FA Cup. That 87th-minute save from Schmeichel was absolutely breathtaking. What a team.
I came here to say the same thing. So happy for them. The owner coming down from the stands to celebrate with them as well. It means so much since his father tragically was killed in that helicopter accident a few years back. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer club.

Never like giving Rangers praise, but this looks class. Hope there is better footage of this somewhere - totally designed for a drone shot or two.

NhArLevnLSgs.gif

Oh, btw if anyone is wondering, these are title “celebrations”. They won the league and still tore the place apart.

Back