It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

The special veneer is wearing thin. That’s two tier B clubs in succession. I can’t see him ever getting a genuinely big job again.

Gotta say I was mighty impressed with city last night. There was a steel to go with the style that shone through. Ruben Dias is the clear player of the year for me too, an absolute colossus of a centre half.

City's defense is really good. I know PSG was without Mbappe yesterday but it didn't seem like he would've made enough of a difference with the way City's defense has been playing. Pep really is a special manager.

Gotta say I was mighty impressed with city last night. There was a steel to go with the style that shone through. Ruben Dias is the clear player of the year for me too, an absolute colossus of a centre half.
Agreed completely. I thought PSG, even without Mbappe, would make things interesting. I was wrong... granted the weather didn't help.

I read someone on my twitter timeline say "PSG-City is fun because it basically boils down to: If you have infinite money, should you spend it all on fullbacks [obviously an exaggeration] or none at all." The reason Man City is in the position they are in this year is because of how smartly they have spent their absurd budget. OK, Pep gets a nod too.

1620224724049.png

Agreed completely. I thought PSG, even without Mbappe, would make things interesting. I was wrong... granted the weather didn't help.

I read someone on my twitter timeline say "PSG-City is fun because it basically boils down to: If you have infinite money, should you spend it all on fullbacks [obviously an exaggeration] or none at all." The reason Man City is in the position they are in this year is because of how smartly they have spent their absurd budget. OK, Pep gets a nod too.

View attachment 98190

The way Pep plays entirely. For all the attacking talent the full backs are almost like the wingers back in the day in terms of providing attacking width and them and the holding midfielder are absolutely key to allowing the talent up front and in midfield to thrive.

The way Pep plays entirely. For all the attacking talent the full backs are almost like the wingers back in the day in terms of providing attacking width and them and the holding midfielder are absolutely key to allowing the talent up front and in midfield to thrive.
That's true, and the Pep nod was tongue-in-cheek. What I was trying to get at is that not all clubs build their roster around the manager's game plan, rather than buying shiny new toys and then trying to figure out how to get the best out of them.

Pep is a really good manager with really good players. He makes anyone look like a star in his systems and he's fortunate to have the best players to play in them. Sane and Sterling were unbelievable in 17/18 look at them now. Sane is slumping at Bayern and Sterling looks to be out the door. John Stones is the second best CB this season, behind Dias, who for most of his career has been average to slightly above average. City fans wouldn't have batted an eye if he moved on last summer. Zinchenko who also was supposed to be out the door and never meant to be their starting LB, is unplayable right now.

Reactions: mgp
I'm just happy Liverpool was able to win both Champions League and the EPL in back to back years because it really feels we were nothing more than a one year road bump to the City machine in the EPL.

Pep is a really good manager with really good players. He makes anyone look like a star in his systems and he's fortunate to have the best players to play in them. Sane and Sterling were unbelievable in 17/18 look at them now. Sane is slumping at Bayern and Sterling looks to be out the door. John Stones is the second best CB this season, behind Dias, who for most of his career has been average to slightly above average. City fans wouldn't have batted an eye if he moved on last summer.

Its Sane’s first full season back off a bad knee injury. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t return stronger than ever, that boy is seriously talented. Pep would have kept him If he didn’t push to leave. Is Stering’s contract still a bit off a mess? Otherwise I’m sure Pep would want to keep him, his form has dipped in the second half of the season but he’s young enough and good enough that he’ll come back.

I agree with you on Stones but I think as much as Pep it’s also Dias. He’s such a leader, warrior and organiser back there that it lets Stones do what he’s best at (Passing out from the back, sweeping) whilst drilling him at what he’s weak at (concentration, positioning). it’s mad because Laporte is a serious centre half talent too and he can’t get in the side!

I'm just happy Liverpool was able to win both Champions League and the EPL in back to back years because it really feels we were nothing more than a one year road bump to the City machine in the EPL.

I think next season will be more interesting than that. City don’t appear to be making noises in the market about a centre forward and they’ll badly need one when Aguero goes. If the race is closer than this year you need those ruthless moments, this year has been a procession.

Add to that Van Dijk being back, Chelsea being a centre forward away from being a very impressive side and us potentially continuing to improve if we strengthen in the right areas. City will be right up there but I’m cautiously optimistic for things to tighten up and the end of 90-100 point title wins.

Its Sane’s first full season back off a bad knee injury. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t return stronger than ever, that boy is seriously talented. Pep would have kept him If he didn’t push to leave. Is Stering’s contract still a bit off a mess? Otherwise I’m sure Pep would want to keep him, his form has dipped in the second half of the season but he’s young enough and good enough that he’ll come back.

I agree with you on Stones but I think as much as Pep it’s also Dias. He’s such a leader, warrior and organiser back there that it lets Stones do what he’s best at (Passing out from the back, sweeping) whilst drilling him at what he’s weak at (concentration, positioning). it’s mad because Laporte is a serious centre half talent too and he can’t get in the side!
I don't doubt that Sterling and Sane will both end up having good careers since they're still young. But I don't see them reaching those highs of that one season again.

City wanted to buy Harry Winks last summer and many Spurs fans didn't want him to go. He'd turn into a world beater in City's system, I'm sure of that, when he's been shit this season. Place anyone in Pep's system and they'd excel.

I don't doubt that Sterling and Sane will both end up having good careers since they're still young. But I don't see them reaching those highs of that one season again.

City wanted to buy Harry Winks last summer and many Spurs fans didn't want him to go. He'd turn into a world beater in City's system, I'm sure of that, when he's been shit this season. Place anyone in Pep's system and they'd excel.

I dunno I think Sterling had 3 or 4 seasons in the 20s goals wise. He’ll be back there again, his movement is too good.

Nearly anyone. I think you need to be sufficiently pliant as a character. He doesn’t seem to do well with strong characters. See Yaya (I know they’ve had their differences but omitting him from the list of city greats was cold), Zlatan and Eto’o in particular.

I think next season will be more interesting than that. City don’t appear to be making noises in the market about a centre forward and they’ll badly need one when Aguero goes. If the race is closer than this year you need those ruthless moments, this year had been a procession.

Add to that Van Dijk being back, Chelsea being a centre forward away from being a very impressive side and us potentially continuing to improve if we strengthen in the right areas. City will be right up there but I’m cautiously optimistic for things to tighten up and the end of 90-100 point title wins.
I hope so. It would be really boring if the EPL turned into the Bundesliga where everyone is playing only for Champions League behind City. 2019 was really exciting as it was a proper title chase unlike 2020 and this season. I like that Chelsea and United are getting good again as it makes the EPL much more enjoyable.

My worry with Liverpool is FSG won't spend if there's no Champions League. We're going to need a Wijnaldum replacement, a proper replacement for Joe Gomez, and one of either Firmino or Mane seem destined to take off (speculation on my part but both have been subpar). I'd imagine they'll cut their losses on Keita. If there's no Champions League, I think guys are naturally going to want to look elsewhere. Mo Salah is always going to be a target for the Spanish clubs. Maybe they will all stick around but I could see FSG trying to sell off some pieces.

It's a side of City that you don't usually see in the EPL. I actually enjoyed watching them last night as they were facing a team that were trying to have a go. A lot of the EPL games seem like they are barely tested and never get out of second gear.

I hope so. It would be really boring if the EPL turned into the Bundesliga where everyone is playing only for Champions League behind City. 2019 was really exciting as it was a proper title chase unlike 2020 and this season. I like that Chelsea and United are getting good again as it makes the EPL much more enjoyable.

My worry with Liverpool is FSG won't spend if there's no Champions League. We're going to need a Wijnaldum replacement, a proper replacement for Joe Gomez, and one of either Firmino or Mane seem destined to take off (speculation on my part but both have been subpar). I'd imagine they'll cut their losses on Keita. If there's no Champions League, I think guys are naturally going to want to look elsewhere. Mo Salah is always going to be a target for the Spanish clubs. Maybe they will all stick around but I could see FSG trying to sell off some pieces.

It looks like Wijnaldum is off alright. Mainly because it’s a Bosman. I thought you’d agreed a deal for a centre half from Leipzig too?

I can’t see you selling any of the rest. Due to current financial restrictions I don’t see Keita being a priority for anyone and equally although they’re not old I can’t see the top sides paying the money it’d take to prise away Mane or Salah given their age and the opportunity to sign considerably younger superstars for similar money.

Liverpool also have the advantage of history and prestige that means alongside United they’re the English club that can hold non-homegrown stars for a year or two longer than other clubs whilst out of the Champions League. Plus the Klopp factor, players want to play for him.

There won’t be huge squad flux this summer for anyone in my opinion. It’ll all be about off loading and bringing in the right 2 or 3 in the more constrained market.

Last edited:
Back