Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

Reason #46 to take the grills off

They stay on most of the time because I have a cat. My first foray into this money pit of a hobby 15 or so years ago was a pair of PSB Alpha B1s and he decided day one to catapult off them and dented the grill. So ever since then he gets pspspsps’d anytime he goes remotely close to the hifi

Last edited:
They stay on most of the time because I have a cat. My first first into this money pit of a hobby 15 or so years ago was a pair of PSB Alpha B1s and he decided day one to catapult off them and dented the grill. So ever since then he gets pspspsps’d anytime he goes remotely close to the hifi
Good reason to upgrade to the 100s.o_O
No cat can even slightly bump them.

JK Enjoy those sweet new speakers, any which way you turn them!

I’m already pushing my luck in my apartment with the 82, pretty sure if I grabbed the L100 there’s be an eviction notice in the box upon delivery.
I hear you. Sometimes a spouse is the similar situation.
Funny enough they don't need to be loud to sound really good (not talking about my spouse of course).

Cheers and congrats with the JBLs. I think you will be a fan for life.

Last edited:
I hear you. Sometimes a spouse is the similar situation.
Funny enough they don't need to be loud to sound really good (not talking about my spouse of course).

Cheers and congrats with the JBLs. I think you will be a fan for life.

I just realized from your signature I basically have your exact system, just one step below: 1210GR, PMA1700NE, L82.

I only have like 20 mono records at most, feels silly to grab a Mono cart. ESPECIALLY since I'm not changing it every time I want to put on a mono record.
Changing carts is like a 2 mins for me now. Willing to bet your mono collection will grow when you hear the difference in sound quality with the proper cart.

Once I get the speakers paid off that's probably where my mone starts going: tinkering with more carts. I've got a 2M Bronze and OC9XML right now but wanna try the Grado Opus3 and one of the Nagaoka carts.
I really enjoyed a borrowed 2M Bronze on my VPI Traveler, but I like the Hana SL a bit more. The Nagaoka MP-300 closed much of the gap between MM and comparably priced MC carts for me.

Of course, it’s possible to spend much more to get better performance. I do find cartridge performance to also be limited by the phonostage, too.

I really enjoyed a borrowed 2M Bronze on my VPI Traveler, but I like the Hana SL a bit more. The Nagaoka MP-300 closed much of the gap between MM and comparably priced MC carts for me.

Of course, it’s possible to spend much more to get better performance. I do find cartridge performance to also be limited by the phonostage, too.
I wish I'd have bitten on a Nagaoka import while the yen was so low. But I had to make other hi-fi purchases and a third cart felt like a silly use of resources.

I'm hopeful to get the 200 or 300 eventually

I wish I'd have bitten on a Nagaoka import while the yen was so low. But I had to make other hi-fi purchases and a third cart felt like a silly use of resources.

I'm hopeful to get the 200 or 300 eventually
I bought my Nagaoka MP300 used with the help of HiFi Shark. When a used one became available with a slightly worn stylus, I negotiated a price that was fair with the intent to upgrade the stylus to MP500 when it is time. I probably have about 100 hours left until a required upgrade.

Last edited:
I bought my Nagaoka MP300 used with the help of HiFi Shark. When a used one became available with a slightly worn stylus, I negotiated a price that was fair with the intent to upgrade the stylus to MP500 when it is time. I probably have about 300 hours left until a required upgrade.
Something like carts is something I’d rather buy new but I might bite on an import if there’s still a pretty good gap between import and American prices come tax season

Back