Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

Ok, one more addition..

Initially ordered a T7x but changed to the Classic 98 as it’s what REL suggested with my room and speakers. It’s got a high WAF but that was never really in doubt. Took about 30 minutes to get initially meshed with the C7’s and situated.

I’ll fiddle with it over the next few weeks as it breaks in. IMG_6196.jpeg

Ok, one more addition..

Initially ordered a T7x but changed to the Classic 98 as it’s what REL suggested with my room and speakers. It’s got a high WAF but that was never really in doubt. Took about 30 minutes to get initially meshed with the C7’s and situated.

I’ll fiddle with it over the next few weeks as it breaks in. View attachment 191115

Niiiiice! I have the little baby TZero.

All the REL subs are gorgeous with the auto paint but that one defo has that mid century vibe down to a T!

Did you connect it to the high level or run it off the sub outputs on the PL preamp?

Niiiiice! I have the little baby TZero.

All the REL subs are gorgeous with the auto paint but that one defo has that mid century vibe down to a T!

Did you connect it to the high level or run it off the sub outputs on the PL preamp?
I was pretty set on the T7x but figured I’d try this one first as it’s what they recommended and it does look great. I did the high level connection to the speaker outputs on the Luxman. It seemed like what REL recommended and since they supply the cables I saw no reason to deviate. How did you do it?

I was pretty set on the T7x but figured I’d try this one first as it’s what they recommended and it does look great. I did the high level connection to the speaker outputs on the Luxman. It seemed like what REL recommended and since they supply the cables I saw no reason to deviate. How did you do it?

Same. Off the speaker outputs on my PL power amp to the hi level input. I didn’t have too much other choice because my pre doesn’t have sub outs!

I did order a new cable though to get it less than the 10m of the one bundled plus better cable and nice spades.

Same. Off the speaker outputs on my PL power amp to the hi level input. I didn’t have too much other choice because my pre doesn’t have sub outs!

I did order a new cable though to get it less than the 10m of the one bundled plus better cable and nice spades.
The supplied cables are very long. Did you notice any difference in sound with the new cables/connectors? Any suggestions for cables with that high level interconnect to the sub?

The supplied cables are very long. Did you notice any difference in sound with the new cables/connectors? Any suggestions for cables with that high level interconnect to the sub?

I’ll be honest I didn’t use the supplied ones because I’d been tipped off beforehand that they were really long and fine, but not the best quality. I ordered the cable I am using while I was waiting for the dealer to get my sub in.

So RELs baseline blue are meant to be exceptional and these are meant to be the crème de la creme. I went with these which were supposed to be the best compromise between price and quality. I really like the ones I got, the sub sounds great and they’re fantastically put together and the spades make them easy to connect before I add the bananas for the speakers. No other comparison though!

Nice! I have a T7i paired with my C7's and I'm pretty happy with it.
Ok, one more addition..

I’ll fiddle with it over the next few weeks as it breaks in. View attachment 191115

Something new will arrive here hopefully by mid January for a full write up. I doubt there are many of these in the US, and I’m certain no one here has one.

Le Son LS10 Mk II Low Output MC

View attachment 191256
Tell us a bit about it… is that a wood body? What kind of sound signature is it reported to have? What led you to it? Do tell!

Tell us a bit about it… is that a wood body? What kind of sound signature is it reported to have? What led you to it? Do tell!
I saw it mentioned somewhere.

It’s an ebony body with a graphite mounting plate.

It has a boron nitrite cantilever- that’s why it’s white. It has lower moving mass than boron carbon- what everyone else uses. The diamond is a nude Shibata, which has over time become my favorite for sound quality. The cantilever/diamond assembly is Japanese.

The coils are done differently than other MCs. You can see them in the picture.

It’s designed and built in China by a pair of guys that met at a HiFi show. They couldn’t find a cartridge that had the sound they wanted (warm with detail) so they decided to build their own. One guy is an American educated Chinese- PHD, the other is French.

Supposedly it’s competitive with $3k cartridges. It costs $1260 shipped including customs charges- right between my Ortofon and my Grado. And it comes with something no other cartridge I’ve ever seen does- a 60 day money back guarantee.

I can’t wait to hear it for myself. It should make an interesting comparison between my Grado Reference3 and Ortofon Quintet Black S. I also have 3 identical headshells and headshell wires- so the perfect way to compare.

IMG_2880.jpeg

I saw it mentioned somewhere.

It’s an ebony body with a graphite mounting plate.

It has a boron nitrite cantilever- that’s why it’s white. It has lower moving mass than boron carbon- what everyone else uses. The diamond is a nude Shibata, which has over time become my favorite for sound quality. The cantilever/diamond assembly is Japanese.

The coils are done differently than other MCs. You can see them in the picture.

It’s designed and built in China by a pair of guys that met at a HiFi show. They couldn’t find a cartridge that had the sound they wanted (warm with detail) so they decided to build their own. One guy is an American educated Chinese- PHD, the other is French.

Supposedly it’s competitive with $3k cartridges. It costs $1260 shipped including customs charges- right between my Ortofon and my Grado. And it comes with something no other cartridge I’ve ever seen does- a 60 day money back guarantee.

I can’t wait to hear it for myself. It should make an interesting comparison between my Grado Reference3 and Ortofon Quintet Black S. I also have 3 identical headshells and headshell wires- so the perfect way to compare.

View attachment 191276
Sweet! Looking forward to your write-up.

The folks at Cerwin-Vega sent pair of these. LA-165 6.5” two ways with a soft dome tweeter.

They are $269 a pair. They also sent a matching LA110 powered sub. Not pictured or set up-yet. The sub is $399.

Proper speaker stands will arrive Monday.

I will say that I don’t generally like inexpensive speakers. These are interesting- and don’t sound cheap.

It looks like C-V are trying to build really nice speakers at a bargain basement price.

I’ll eventually be doing a write up on these (with and without the sub.)

IMG_2900.jpegIMG_2901.jpegIMG_2902.jpegIMG_2904.jpeg

The folks at Cerwin-Vega sent pair of these. LA-165 6.5” two ways with a soft dome tweeter.

They are $269 a pair. They also sent a matching LA110 powered sub. Not pictured or set up-yet. The sub is $399.

I will say that I don’t generally like inexpensive speakers. These are interesting- and don’t sound cheap.

It looks like C-V are trying to build really nice speakers at a bargain basement price.

View attachment 192163View attachment 192161View attachment 192162View attachment 192164
Ha! So awesome. I have a pair of these on the way. I had some CVs back in the day...college kid, ran em till they blew. I'll be interested in what you have to say about the sub, I put that off for now but have considered it. These are for the garage system. I'm somewhat relieved to see your early impression is good. I thought I might have just thrown the cash out the window on these, but the damn red surrounds pulled me in.

View attachment 192163View attachment 192161View attachment 192162View attachment 192164
My first speakers were CW’s and I look forward to your impressions. If you decide to sell your Fortes, shoot me an IM. 😂

Ha! So awesome. I have a pair of these on the way. I had some CVs back in the day...college kid, ran em till they blew. I'll be interested in what you have to say about the sub, I put that off for now but have considered it. These are for the garage system. I'm somewhat relieved to see your early impression is good. I thought I might have just thrown the cash out the window on these, but the damn red surrounds pulled me in.
You didn’t make a mistake. Funny you mention the garage- they are priced like a perfect speaker for the garage. I was thinking about this- they are so inexpensive that they might not be taken seriously. They don’t sound like what they cost. Try them with your main system. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I had to be out the door at 6 this morning to get to the office. I didn’t shut the system off until 11:30 last night. That should say something.

I’m looking forward to getting these on proper stands, but I’ll say this- they image and soundstage like nobody’s business- even with sub optimal setup.

They work great with 18 watts of triode EL84 magic.

@I’m Just Ken I plan to unbox and set up the sub on Tuesday.

Tonight was again yet another benchmark, and some of the most pleasant audio I have encountered in many years. There is a very big surprise coming also. For now these Lii Audio F-6S speakers are the reason for a big possible change coming. I am speechless for now in the best way. :)

Back