Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Beach house is blah
I would like Beach House more if they didn't indirectly spawn a million boring sound alike copycat bands in the next two decades. They, along with the Strokes, helped make 85% of indie rock music homogenous and absolutely reek.

On that note, "Is This It" by the Strokes isn't as good as y'all remember.

Try as a might, I just can't get into the Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen but I think I would like to. What am I doing wrong? I mean I like Sympathy For The Devil, Gimme Shelter, and You Can't Always Get What You Want but the rest just isn't approachable for me. And Bruce, maybe Born In The USA and Dancing In The Dark painted him badly in my eyes as a youth.

Try as a might, I just can't get into the Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen but I think I would like to. What am I doing wrong? I mean I like Sympathy For The Devil, Gimme Shelter, and You Can't Always Get What You Want but the rest just isn't approachable for me. And Bruce, maybe Born In The USA and Dancing In The Dark painted him badly in my eyes as a youth.
Bruce is bad, Stones are good. Maybe ask around over here

Pretty Hate Machine is a mediocre album and is EASILY in the bottom half of my ranking for NIN albums. Are there a handful of classic songs on it? Absolutely. Are there also some of the cheesiest and most dated songs in the band's career on it? Absolutely.
boi if you don't get the fuck out of here with this

I'm afraid this is less of a hot take than a stereotypical one but it feels like one to me because I don't want it to be true. I'm not trying to be on the bandwagon.

Almost all metal vocals make me cringe, whether it is Death Metal or Metallica. It all seems like such a phony put on. I've tried so many albums where the song starts and I'm digging it and then the vocals come in and I'm like, really?

I'm afraid this is less of a hot take than a stereotypical one but it feels like one to me because I don't want it to be true. I'm not trying to be on the bandwagon.

Almost all metal vocals make me cringe, whether it is Death Metal or Metallica. It all seems like such a phony put on. I've tried so many albums where the song starts and I'm digging it and then the vocals come in and I'm like, really?
Not all metal vocals put me off, but usually when I'm put off of a metal band its because of the vocals.

Not all metal vocals put me off, but usually when I'm put off of a metal band its because of the vocals.
I'm not sure I can think of another genre where if you played the vocals by themselves it'd be so easy to name the exact genre. Sure, maybe hardcore punk or something, but that just sounds like the singer screaming in their own voice as opposed to doing their impression of typical theatrical metal vocals.

All punk sounds the same. Even going back to the pioneers like Green Day.

Grateful Dead are terrible. They're just an excuse for stoners to poke smot and hackey sack. Phish are just GD 2.0.

If you describe your taste in music as 'indie', I know I won't like you.

Mondo is terrible.
Green day as pioneers of punk is a fucking flaming hot take. 👏

I think this is why I liked System of a Down and Serj's weird, nasally vocals. They're so atypical for a metal band but somehow they fit so well.

I think Fleet Foxes are an incredibly overlooked band with a perfect discography and unique sound that will be in the GOAT conversation 20 years from now.View attachment 9060
if they can put out one more album that's as good as the 3 they've released already, then I agree with you. 4 (or more) really good albums are needed for GOAT status IMO

Back