Game of Thrones

After last week’s meltdown of an episode, I had low expectations, so last night was ok, but nothing great.

Like, when Jon tries to stop Grey Worm from killing the Lannister soldiers and then leaves them to go talk to Daenerys about it, and then when he finishes walking through the soldiers and climbing that huge staircase, Grey Worm is already there chilling at the top of the stairs- hhhhhhwwwwhat? How did he beat Jon there when he still had like 5 more necks to slice open?

And then sandwiched in between that whole thing we have Tyrion casually wandering around and moping for like 5 minutes and strolling into the basement which we saw completely collapse last week, and there’s a cute little pile of bricks in the corner of the room with Jaime’s cute little golden hand sitting on top since the falling bricks apparently stopped falling *just* as soon as he and Cersei were just barely covered with rubble. And then we get to see Tyrion weep over them and pull the bricks off of them. And the music and pacing just beat you over the head with how important and meaningful this all is. Whhhhhyyyyyyyy?

This all happens just in the first 15 minutes.

Bran is going to be terrible on the throne - he has no compassion (sounds familiar) and literally doesn’t care about anything. Tyrion lacks good judgment and is loyal to a fault as hand of the queen/king (here we go again).

Yes, I’m still very salty about what happened to Varys and the innocent people of King’s Landing whose deaths were shown in such detail last week, and all these Hallmark endings this week for characters (i.e. Jon, Tyrion, Grey Worm) who enabled those murders made me sick. It felt like last week maybe they were building to some kind of statement about the innocent common people caught as collateral damage in this “game” - it would have been cool to memorialize those who died somehow. But no, Tyrion, gets rewarded for his incompetence again and gets to sit around telling stories about the good old days in the brothels and pretend like he has all this wisdom and gravitas from his experience watching other people get killed for his mistakes. 🤨

Tyrion lacks good judgment

he had pretty good judgment until they left the book material

as to Jon and Tyrion letting King's Landing getting destroyed, they didn't, in fact, they were both horrified by it.

Interestingly enough I read an article that said from a military standpoint it was a good idea for Dany to destroy the city, she is unknown to most so therefore doesn't have the same number of loyal people and her greatest power comes from having a dragon, so showing the power of her dragon would help solidify her as the ruler to the rest of Westeros, i.e. you rebel against me and this is what will happen

Interestingly enough I read an article that said from a military standpoint it was a good idea for Dany to destroy the city, she is unknown to most so therefore doesn't have the same number of loyal people and her greatest power comes from having a dragon, so showing the power of her dragon would help solidify her as the ruler to the rest of Westeros, i.e. you rebel against me and this is what will happen

She pretty much said as much in the show, didn’t she?

A good friend of mine growing up really tried to get me into it when it was on the air and shortly after it went off too. The Commish connection always soured me on it but after reading all the hype on some television threads, i figured I'd give it a shot. it's good.. at times, really good.. but i dont think it belongs in the same discussion as breaking bad, the wire, sopranos, etc..

Hot take: I hated breaking bad. Brilliant season openers brilliant season endings and the worst mid season dips of anything I’ve watched. I also HATED all of the main characters, couldn’t find any empathy. I really don’t get it’s plaudits...

Last edited:
After last week’s meltdown of an episode, I had low expectations, so last night was ok, but nothing great.

Like, when Jon tries to stop Grey Worm from killing the Lannister soldiers and then leaves them to go talk to Daenerys about it, and then when he finishes walking through the soldiers and climbing that huge staircase, Grey Worm is already there chilling at the top of the stairs- hhhhhhwwwwhat? How did he beat Jon there when he still had like 5 more necks to slice open?

And then sandwiched in between that whole thing we have Tyrion casually wandering around and moping for like 5 minutes and strolling into the basement which we saw completely collapse last week, and there’s a cute little pile of bricks in the corner of the room with Jaime’s cute little golden hand sitting on top since the falling bricks apparently stopped falling *just* as soon as he and Cersei were just barely covered with rubble. And then we get to see Tyrion weep over them and pull the bricks off of them. And the music and pacing just beat you over the head with how important and meaningful this all is. Whhhhhyyyyyyyy?

This all happens just in the first 15 minutes.

Bran is going to be terrible on the throne - he has no compassion (sounds familiar) and literally doesn’t care about anything. Tyrion lacks good judgment and is loyal to a fault as hand of the queen/king (here we go again).

Yes, I’m still very salty about what happened to Varys and the innocent people of King’s Landing whose deaths were shown in such detail last week, and all these Hallmark endings this week for characters (i.e. Jon, Tyrion, Grey Worm) who enabled those murders made me sick. It felt like last week maybe they were building to some kind of statement about the innocent common people caught as collateral damage in this “game” - it would have been cool to memorialize those who died somehow. But no, Tyrion, gets rewarded for his incompetence again and gets to sit around telling stories about the good old days in the brothels and pretend like he has all this wisdom and gravitas from his experience watching other people get killed for his mistakes. 🤨

I'm honestly cool with how it all ended. It's resolved. I don't want a show to end on anything exciting, a high note... happily ever after, etc. where I wonder where they all went off to, speculating about adventures that I will never see. I like that everything just kind of got diffused.

I think it's odd that more people don't recognize that the show is basically following -- or, at least, returning to -- a similar formula as they had for years, until more recently. The formula being that there is a huge surprise where some hardcore crazy shit goes down and people swear they'll never tune in again, which typically fell on the episode right before the last episode of the season. That's when they chopped Ned Stark's head off. That's when the red wedding occurred. That's the episode that Ygritte dies. Ned dies and it set in motion the shock of a main character being on the chopping block. "What's gonna happen next?!!! Why even keep watching?" The red wedding was the height of this. I know someone who is watching it for the first time and she posted about her reaction to that episode and how she doesn't even want to continue. I remember feeling that way, but... then comes the last episode of the season and it's just enough to move past it, somehow.

In more recent seasons, things have changed and we've come to believe that certain characters are indispensable. Stannis' daughter is burned at the episode before the last episode of season 5, but that wasn't the big move. Jon Snow's death on the final episode was. That was a major cliffhanger where the shocking death of a main character was left for the very end of the season, which was less typical for them. But... by that point, we pretty much expected Jon Snow to come back, somehow. After he did, it seemed like new rules were established. He can't die. Dany can't die. These were characters that would survive. They were too important. We used to think that Robb or Ned were, but now we really know who mattered and was irreplaceable. A lot of people believe the show fell off, but part of what changed was that element where anyone could die. Even though they continued to kill certain characters off, none of them were as major as what we saw early on. In season 6, the biggest tragedy comes midway through the season with Hodor's death, but the episode before the last was the battle of the bastards where Rickon takes the arrow to the back -- he didn't zig zag -- and Ramsay gets eaten by the hounds. That season does end with Cersei killing the Tyrell's with the wildfire, though. Hodor was the worst, because while we wanted Ramsay to die, it seemed inevitable. Hodor wasn't so central that he couldn't be eliminated, but we liked him. It didn't seem inevitable that someone like Ned or Robb would be murdered. It was a big difference.

I think that now that they've kind of returned to that left field surprise destruction, to a certain extent, people didn't want what they thought they wanted. Everybody wants things to be as expected and they want to be satisfied with some sort of justice, but that never used to come into play in those early seasons and that's what made the show great. The hero doesn't necessarily win. Your favorite might be problematic. Who didn't want to see Jamie die from the very first episode, only to hope he becomes righteous or even root for him? Daenerys burning the shit out of children? That's insane. The red wedding was insane, though, too. The trick used to be to do what was the most unexpected and then try and find a way to resolve it to keep the show going. I hated that she murdered the city for no reason, but... I think that I'm supposed to. Things got too comfortable.

Based on the way that things went, the show was resolved in the only way that I could imagine, once it was painted into that corner. Not that I loved it, but I really can't imagine a "better" way for it to resolve. If I went back at least a couple of episodes, I could come up with some other possibilities, but based on the way that the last episode ended before this one, I really don't know what I would have wanted to happen. Jon fucked up. He let that city burn. I didn't really want to see him sit in the throne of that dead city anymore. After that, the best thing that he could do was stab the mad Queen to prevent anything more from happening, and then go live in the wilderness. Bran works as king for me, because I don't really care. I'm not left wondering what happens next. I feel like everyone is kind of where they are supposed to be, so I can stop wondering or thinking about that world anymore.

I was going to try and write something clever about what I just watched but then I noticed that another audio journo had used her Instagram story to sum it up better than I was going to;

View attachment 1442

It was a bit of a mess. I'm not joining the 'reshoot' loons but I will say that when I look back to the magnificence of the first three seasons, this felt like someone had let Jerry Bruckheimer loose with a wheelbarrow full of blow and the gross domestic product of Finland. Not that I didn't enjoy it but it could have been more.
I love your contributions. I am so sorry to hear about your family. I hope you can find some brief escape here.

I think fan theories have a lot to do with why people are so disappointed when something doesn't pan out the way fans think it will happen.

I loved Brienne writing Jaime's final history in the book of knights, especially after earlier seasons showed how much respect Jaime gave that book.

Someone else said it so no credit due here: I would have loved that scene and it would have meant so much more had they not drunkenly hooked up.

I’d even say most seasons of Dexter are bad. They have like...3 solid seasons. And that’s it. GoT honestly never had a season that I felt was anywhere close to being truly bad TV. Even if things weren’t perfect, it never felt actively bad to me.

I so agree with this. John Lithgow and the ice pick killer were the only good seasons to me. And it is still the shining pinnacle of how to do a finale so poorly that you taint the legacy of your show.

Some feel being a fan means you have ownership of the direction of how your favorite show should turn out. It's the same weirdness with the people who went ape-s over The Last Jedi.
I still don’t understand why people hated Last Jedi or Solo or Rogue One....

I still don’t understand why people hated Last Jedi or Solo or Rogue One....
I did not like Solo and just thought the last jedi was alright, but even then I literally just moved on after I watched them. No petitions, no 40 minute rants on youtube, no review bombs, nothin. Amazing how easy all that is, I wish fanbases would chill.

Georges recent blog update is more of the same shit..

" I am working on 400 things and eventually the next book will be done"

Depressing.

This isn't my unique theory BUT I wouldn't be shocked if WoW comes out in the next year. I'd bet anything he has it finished. I mean, the guy's written a bunch of other books in the meantime--Dunk/Egg, the Targaryen history thing, plus the random other stuff-- so we know he's working. I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted to wait for the end of the show before he starts releasing again so that the books wouldn't take away from the show and vice versa. Anyway probably wrong can't wait for that next Patrick Rothfuss book amirite?

Did anyone watch the documentary last night?

My take: Look at all the hard work and dedication of all these people that was ruined by D&D
I watched it too - very much enjoyed it. Cool how they primarily focused on the behind-the-scenes folks rather than the stars, D&D, etc. (the table read was fun to see, though).

I think it underscored the rushed feeling of the storyline this season. It could've been a lot better with 10 episodes. Ruined is too strong a word, IMO.

TBH I am more excited for the next king killer book then this GOT book because atleast I can remember the last patrick rothfuss book still lol

Reactions: Tyr
Back