Game of Thrones

I am tempted to re-read them now, but I have like 40 books I would like to read (i.e. on my kindle just waiting)

Did you read La Belle Sauvage? The first book of the next trilogy in that world, the book of dust?

I really enjoyed it. I think part of the reason I enjoyed the original books so much is that I found Lyra to be such a likeable and compelling main character.

Exactly. Wasn't as if they were left with a body to deal with. Unless Drogon flew her to the army which I don't know why he'd be smart enough to do that. And if he did do that there would be an instant mutiny. Regardless, that's a whole episode worth of material right there.
Why not just be like.... Oh no! Danys dragon just killed her. It is a wild beast after all. Oh well. Also. This is kind of awkward but I'm the true heir to the iron throne. Let me get my brother and best friend to back me up on this.

Did you read La Belle Sauvage? The first book of the next trilogy in that world, the book of dust?

I really enjoyed it. I think part of the reason I enjoyed the original books so much is that I found Lyra to be such a likeable and compelling main character.

I have only read the His Dark Materials trilogy
Why not just be like.... Oh no! Danys dragon just killed her. It is a wild beast after all. Oh well. Also. This is kind of awkward but I'm the true heir to the iron throne. Let me get my brother and best friend to back me up on this.
He wouldn't have done the latter and he is not one to lie but he could have said she and her dragon took off

All in all, probably the best the could have done with what they had. I'd have definitely preferred 2 full seasons of 10 episodes, as I really struggled with the logic jumps in seasons 7 & 8. It's been a great looking final season if nothing else.

Random thoughts:

1) I'd have maybe preferred switching Sansa and Bran - give her Kings Landing and have Bran have the North with Jon sneakily helping out. Was it me, or did Tyrion's eyes in the scene before the Lords meeting look like Bran was warging into him (could just be my TV!);
2) Brienne finishing Jamie's story would have had much more impact had they not hooked up in my view;
3) It kind of feels like they've set themselves up for a bunch of side-shows a few years down the line: Jon & Tormund (& Ghost!) North of the Wall, Arya's Adventures, the Unsullied (kind of ruined by them turning Grey Worm into an arsehole), Game of Thrones: Queen in the North...

All in all, probably the best the could have done with what they had. I'd have definitely preferred 2 full seasons of 10 episodes, as I really struggled with the logic jumps in seasons 7 & 8. It's been a great looking final season if nothing else.

Random thoughts:

1) I'd have maybe preferred switching Sansa and Bran - give her Kings Landing and have Bran have the North with Jon sneakily helping out. Was it me, or did Tyrion's eyes in the scene before the Lords meeting look like Bran was warging into him (could just be my TV!);
2) Brienne finishing Jamie's story would have had much more impact had they not hooked up in my view;
3) It kind of feels like they've set themselves up for a bunch of side-shows a few years down the line: Jon & Tormund (& Ghost!) North of the Wall, Arya's Adventures, the Unsullied (kind of ruined by them turning Grey Worm into an arsehole), Game of Thrones: Queen in the North...
I liked greyworm up until the last 2 episodes. Everytime he has been on screen in those last 2 I was just like "oh f#*k off you"

I have only read the His Dark Materials trilogy

He wouldn't have done the latter and he is not one to lie but he could have said she and her dragon took off

If you read them again and enjoy them you should try it, I really enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to the second one which I think is due out later this year.

If you read them again and enjoy them you should try it, I really enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to the second one which I think is due out later this year.

Seeing this response makes me think we had this conversation already

Well his girlfriend was just beheaded in front of him and her last words were basically "burn this shit down". So I can kind of understand his character change.
Of course i get that but i should of felt empathy towards him. Not done a 180 on the guy and thats the fault of rushed and bad writing

I was going to try and write something clever about what I just watched but then I noticed that another audio journo had used her Instagram story to sum it up better than I was going to;

It was a bit of a mess. I'm not joining the 'reshoot' loons but I will say that when I look back to the magnificence of the first three seasons, this felt like someone had let Jerry Bruckheimer loose with a wheelbarrow full of blow and the gross domestic product of Finland. Not that I didn't enjoy it but it could have been more.

I didn't mind this last season...even the ending. It wasn't great, but I've seen much worse television.

I knew Jon would end up going back to the North with the wildlings....and I didn't want Sansa to "win", with her Queen of the North, that's at least a good compromise for her.

I am more upset with the short season 7 and then this one with even fewer episodes. They both should have had the full 10, ending last season with the Night King battle. This season was just too rushed and compressed. Story lines mentioned and then dropped, and when you leave it to the audience to fill in the blanks you get things like people demanding reshoots.

The cinematography of this last season - mostly the final 2 episodes were the best the show has looked. Where did that come from?? And why have we not had this all along?

Random thoughts:

I forgot about Cooking with Drogon in my side-shows...

Kind of agree with this. Working with what they had based on the last 2 seasons, this is probably the best they could do.

I wonder if a true Season 1-5 GoT mindset ending would have been Cercei still on the throne after everyone else had been wiped out fighting the White Walkers. Early GoT didn't stand on sentiment, and this felt like everyone got the ending they *should* have?

Thinking about it again, I wonder if last week's Dany heel turn would have been more impactful if she had to toast Jorah the Explorer rather than Varys?

But then, I suppose it's easy being your own series head!

Now I have to get La Belle Sauvage. I've only read the original three books.
I forgot about Cooking with Drogon in my side-shows...
I would watch this show. Like for real. Why isn't this a show yet? And Ghost has to make a cameo appearance.

Was it me, or did Tyrion's eyes in the scene before the Lords meeting look like Bran was warging into him (could just be my TV!);
I've seen several different theories about certain characters being Warg-Bran, and I just don't think the show has been deep where that would be the case. The Night King, Drogon, the white horse Arya rides last week, etc. It would be cool, but this season of the show has been everything but subtle and clever unfortunately.

Back