Fresh Grabs

Dropped by the local scavenging hole and grabbed a few today, and a few things showed up in this last week. Everything is clean and ready to go!

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
John Wesley Harding - Here Comes the Groom
The Ocean Blue - Kings and Queens / Knaves and Thieves
Maggot Brain issue # 5

C938DAAF-4C13-4C17-BFE8-A1C9E1ACBBA4.jpeg

Abbey Lincoln - it's magic
Strand of Oaks - Hard Love
Fruit Bats - The Pet Parade
Carlos Nino and Friends - More Energy Fields, Current

BCFEC273-BCB2-4877-B058-C0D65C2A3C81.jpeg

Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad

5D7E8E26-82B1-4735-B800-AEB449B30F0B.jpeg

Some fresh grabs for me

I've received Kelly Lee Owens' self-titled first album from her bandcamps site. Very well and safely packaged.

Also I was able to pick up the following orders from Saturn, all good deals.

Fontaines D.C. "A Hero's Death"
Tortusa "Bre"
Mary Lattimore "Silver Ladders" on silver colored vinyl

IMG_20210716_092425.jpg

Been on a semi-vinyl diet the past few weeks, but picked up a couple I've been wanting for a while.

Tori Amos - Under the Pink (B&N pink variant, new remaster by Jon Astley, half speed master cut at Abbey Road). This is a classic album and I really had high hopes for this remaster but it still is plagued by background noise. And they went with like a hot pink translucent with a little marbling. Doesn't look as good as I'd hoped either. Overall a little disappointed with this one.

Counting Crows - August and Everything After - Live at Town Hall

This is a crystal clear pressing and amazingly energetic performance. Highly recommend watching the video of it. I've come to like this live version with all the variations thrown in better than the studio version.

Spirit Fest - Mirage Mirage

I'm a huge fan of The Notwist, and I've been impressed with Spirit Fest's output so far. This is another fun experimental album. Good to work to. But I'd held off since it came out because it was like $40 everywhere. Found a new copy at my local for $9 last week and was an easy pickup.

Dave Matthews Band - Live at Red Rocks (silver variant, limited to 5000)

The sleeves and box have a major corner dent, but I saw this at a CD warehouse this morning for $50. The vinyl is in perfect condition and sounds great. Had to break my diet to snag this one ;-)

20210716_145622.jpg

Last edited:
Been on a semi-vinyl diet the past few weeks, but picked up a couple I've been wanting for a while.

Tori Amos - Under the Pink (B&N pink variant, new remaster by Jon Astley, half speed master cut at Abbey Road). This is a classic album and I really had high hopes for this remaster but it still is plagued by background noise. And they went with like a hot pink translucent with a little marbling. Doesn't look as good as I'd hoped either. Overall a little disappointed with this one.

Counting Crows - August and Everything After - Live at Town Hall

This is a crystal clear pressing and amazingly energetic performance. Highly recommend watching the video of it. I've come to like this live version with all the variations thrown in better than the studio version.

Spirit Fest - Mirage Mirage

I'm a huge fan of The Notwist, and I've been impressed with Spirit Fest's output so far. This is another fun experimental album. Good to work to. But I'd held off since it came out because it was like $40 everywhere. Found a new copy at my local for $9 last week and was an easy pickup.

Dave Matthews Band - Live at Red Rocks (silver variant, limited to 5000)

The sleeves and box have a major corner dent, but I saw this at a CD warehouse this morning for $50. The vinyl is in perfect condition and sounds great. Had to break my diet to snag this one ;-)

View attachment 105860

That’s a good deal on that Red Rocks considering the secondary market.

Miles Davis - Champions
Boygenius

A stress-free RSD. Miles was the one I wanted (despite the disgusting coloured vinyl), and as a bonus my local had the Boygenius I ordered ages ago from them and thought they'd cancelled but suddenly it turned up.

20210717_103411.jpg

James Brandon Lewis & Red Lily Quintet - Jesup Wagon
Siril Malmedal Hauge - Slowly, Slowly

Jesup Wagon is one of my favourites of the year, yet more brilliance from James Brandon Lewis (this time with an unusual quintet involving cornet and cello). And my interest in Siril Malmedal Hauge was piqued by a newspaper review here comparing her to Norah Jones. I listened, thought her not quite that but dug the Jazz accompaniments, and picked this vinyl up at my first concert for ages last week.

20210717_103353.jpg

Resilient Vessels - Live At The Cell
Lucy Dacus - Home Video

More James Brandon Lewis, and more Lucy Dacus. Both brilliant.

20210717_103325.jpg

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Azanlokpe / Nou Na Gnon Nou We O

And the obligatory Poly-Rythmo's courtesy of Superfly. Both fabulous.

20210717_103338.jpg

Picked up an interesting one this weekend. Don’t remember seeing it out in the wild before.
5ABE1993-4936-4B92-811C-CAEC80CEC38E.jpeg
Has those sweet sweet RVG initials in the dead wax. He has a pretty fascinating life story which was the inspiration for Llewyn Davis. This one has “Hang Me, Oh Hang Me” on it too.

Stopped by the local to check out leftover RSD titles, and had my gal and her daughter with me. Was going to leave with nothing, but then they kept looking around and her daughter wanted a couple of records. Needless to say, I walked out with records too. Just got back and upgraded her little suitcase to my starting setup. I love enabling the love of music.

Big Star tribute
MilesDavis - Champions
Hendrix - Blues and Electric Ladyland

3ACA65C9-C02B-4E1A-A7D5-CB1674265F8E.jpeg

Stopped by the local to check out leftover RSD titles, and had my gal and her daughter with me. Was going to leave with nothing, but then they kept looking around and her daughter wanted a couple of records. Needless to say, I walked out with records too. Just got back and upgraded her little suitcase to my starting setup. I love enabling the love of music.

Big Star tribute
MilesDavis - Champions
Hendrix - Blues and Electric Ladyland

View attachment 106038
I'm gonna say it, the Hendrix Blues album is the BEST Hendrix album. It's an incredible compilation of covers. Crank it up!

Back