Fresh Grabs

Interested to hear what you think. I downloaded the whole set on the day it came out but apart from Manchester and London I've never listened to them. I think it's the thought of hearing mostly the same set again and again. I did enjoy all the 18 discs of Cutting Edge though (stripped of the studio chatter)
To follow up on this -- do you have that insanely expensive collector's edition of Cutting Edge?

An unexpected grab this afternoon. Ran by the local to trade in a few and they said an old guy traded this in last night. Looks to maybe have been listened to once. Some of the most sparkling and clean discs I've ever seen. Couldn't resist, especially at $60 for 7 double LP volumes. Spinning now and half way through the first side of the first volume and I'm enthralled.

20210723_183338.jpg
20210723_181413.jpg

Last edited:
I pre-ordered this 2 or 3 years ago, constant delays and covid held it up for a long time but it's finally here. 9 cds, 129 songs compiled by Chuck D and MC Lyte, 300 page hardback book with track by track commentary and essays by Jeff Chang, Bill Adler, Chuck D, Bill Stephney, and more.
Starts with "King Tim III", it's got all the heavy hitters Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Beasties, PE, De La, Wu-Tang, Nas, etc and a couple of surprises "Rapture" by Blondie, "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock. Closes with Drake... they can't all be winners.
Here the tracklist:
20210723_184903.jpg20210723_195808.jpg

An unexpected grab this afternoon. Ran by the local to trade in a few and they said an old guy traded this in last night. Looks to maybe have been listened to once. Some of the most sparkling and clean discs I've ever seen. Couldn't resist, especially at $60 for 7 double LP volumes. Spinning now and half way through the first side of the first volume and I'm enthralled.

View attachment 106549
View attachment 106548
That is a lot of good music. Ruth Brown has been my favorite old school discovery this year, hope you enjoy!

Today’s adventure in yard sale vinyling. A chance meeting with a lady who stopped at the same garage sale that I did. “Oh, you’re buying records? I have a pile to get rid of. I’ll be right back with them, I live nearby.”

3BE7B281-2F2A-409B-9B28-283D171B8661.jpeg9B43BFE2-1EE7-4787-ADCC-E7E075976BCF.jpeg97DCD47B-4F24-4AAE-99D5-493DCE7D6758.jpegA585D6E2-8655-44F8-9BE1-97724271307B.jpegBBA9C360-F059-4419-984A-4405746C5269.jpeg3891C3EC-6C93-42EA-A6DD-EEEA35F751B5.jpeg

View attachment 106549
View attachment 106548
Oh nice!! This looks like a really great set to get lost in!

Pink Floyd ‎– Delicate Sound Of Thunder
Halloween II (2009) (Waxwork 2021 Reissue)

Got a great deal on this Kuni & FTB, then the guy just decided to throw in the
Haunted House sounds album which ended up being super clean.
This is the album I know the least by far involving FTB but looking forward to changing that now.

Kuni Kawachi & Flower Travelling Band ‎– Kirikyogen (1971) (20?? Unofficial Reissue /300)
Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House (1973)

PicsArt_07-25-10.29.51.jpg

Along with the Halloween II Soundtrack above I got these 5 spinatures from Waxwork just before they were retired! They're so much nicer then I even expected in person. Kind of bummed I missed Frankenstein but i'm excited to see what they do for the next wave now. Also, as usual I can't compliment them enough on there packaging of everything which is as good as anyone imo. They even threw in the slipmat and a MoFi sleeve.

PicsArt_07-25-09.56.47.jpg
Here's a second package I got from ebay 😬.. That's a 3lp record in there and was in brutal condition when I opened it. He literally grabbed a shopping bag, threw some tape on it, and wrote Fragi(le) like that would make any real difference. The younger generation learning there packing from Amazon (Or mayyybe a cocaine dealer?) is no good. At least it was somewhat cheap and not something I had to have, just kind of ridiculous.

PXL_20210724_041906484.jpgPXL_20210724_041859595.jpg

Here's a second package I got from ebay 😬.. That's a 3lp record in there and was in brutal condition when I opened it. He literally grabbed a shopping bag, threw some tape on it, and wrote Fragi(le) like that would make any real difference. The younger generation learning there packing from Amazon (Or mayyybe a cocaine dealer?) is no good. At least it was somewhat cheap and not something I had to have, just kind of ridiculous.

View attachment 106742View attachment 106741
Oh man that's so brutal. I cant understand peoples logic in doing this, there was no way that was going to get to you in the state it was before being 'packaged'.

Several years ago I bought an original copy of Oneness Of Juju's 'African Rhythms'. I got it at an absolute steal and couldnt believe it because its really tricky to get over here in the UK (its a hard one at the best of times). When it arrived the seller had just put a piece of card either side of the sleeve (that was a couple inches too short on each side) then taped around it, essentially sticking it to the sleeve. Still bitter about that one.

Oh man that's so brutal. I cant understand peoples logic in doing this, there was no way that was going to get to you in the state it was before being 'packaged'.

Several years ago I bought an original copy of Oneness Of Juju's 'African Rhythms'. I got it at an absolute steal and couldnt believe it because its really tricky to get over here in the UK (its a hard one at the best of times). When it arrived the seller had just put a piece of card either side of the sleeve (that was a couple inches too short on each side) then taped around it, essentially sticking it to the sleeve. Still bitter about that one.

Me either! If anything I usually overly secure things but sadly I think many simply do not care especially if it was a cheapish price.

That's so much more rough when it's an actual rarity and something you were truly looking forward to finally acquiring like that but I've been there as well. Hopefully we both have good luck going forward! I just learned to chill on risky purchases which Is basically the majority of places outside of some of the more respected indie record stores for the most part. It's never fun seeing a package like that though.

If someone can’t get their shit together to package a record in the most basic manner then they really shouldn’t be selling records in the first place.

Back