Fresh Grabs

View attachment 105177

I still don't understand why these weren't just boxed with the two that arrived yesterday, but I also recognize the futility of trying to comprehend their logistic logic (or lack thereof!) - either way, I'm incredibly thrilled by Ashby's arrival!
Thought you had super tiny feet, then I realized the records on on top of a shelf

I guess this is what I’ve been up to the last month and a half:

547B263A-454C-4AB5-9C7C-A0CB880E3017.jpeg

I previously shared the Jordan/Gilmore find on the Blue Note thread because it’s not everyday you come across a budget BN first pressing. The others were also dollar-bin records that I’m quite happy with!

5E1334CB-0972-499B-B2D9-812D94C28779.jpeg

The Secret Machines repress arrived today and plays beautifully. Elder rocks and of course there was going to be an obligatory Tone Poet grab in this post. All that said, this Lightning Bug album has probably gotten the most spins out of anything in my collection over the past few weeks.

C05B1192-C170-4B99-9ECB-AE458D379159.jpeg

Lastly, a mix of new and used. The Stones and Kinks albums were cheapies that were missing from my collection. As for the Neils, I’m glad Cellar Door has been repressed, although the sound quality doesn’t quite measure up the Massey Hall set I picked up a couple of months ago. Return to Greendale is a vanity pick; I had to have it because that tour is the only time I saw Neil in concert. I love that this live album exists, though I can’t possibly be objective about its quality due to serious nostalgia goggles.

Records I've picked up the recent 8 days, all bargains / good deals.

From Amazon
Lady Gaga "Chromatica" Silver vinyl
Taylor Swift "Evermore" on green vinyl
Babyshambles "Shotter's Nation"
Foals "Holy Fire"
Lost Girls "Menneskekollektivet"
Weezer "Van Weezer"

IMG_20210710_144935.jpg

From Media Markt

Maxwell Farrington/Le SuperHomard "Once"
PJ Harvey "Uh Huh Her" and "Rid of me"
Jane Weaver "Flock"

IMG_20210710_144910.jpg

I guess this is what I’ve been up to the last month and a half:

View attachment 105202

I previously shared the Jordan/Gilmore find on the Blue Note thread because it’s not everyday you come across a budget BN first pressing. The others were also dollar-bin records that I’m quite happy with!

View attachment 105203

The Secret Machines repress arrived today and plays beautifully. Elder rocks and of course there was going to be an obligatory Tone Poet grab in this post. All that said, this Lightning Bug album has probably gotten the most spins out of anything in my collection over the past few weeks.

View attachment 105204

Lastly, a mix of new and used. The Stones and Kinks albums were cheapies that were missing from my collection. As for the Neils, I’m glad Cellar Door has been repressed, although the sound quality doesn’t quite measure up the Massey Hall set I picked up a couple of months ago. Return to Greendale is a vanity pick; I had to have it because that tour is the only time I saw Neil in concert. I love that this live album exists, though I can’t possibly be objective about its quality due to serious nostalgia goggles.
That BN 1549 is a hell of a find, congrats!

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (Columbia, 2921 Analogue Productions UHQR Pressing)

Other than the 2 Craft Small-Batch releases, this is my first dip into the high-end audiophile releases. Yet to listen but the contents are great, plenty of liner notes and extra bits and pieces. To be honest, I cant believe I bought it when I consider the first mono I have was significantly less expensive.

IMG_3609.JPG

John Lee Hooker – It Serve You Right To Suffer (His Master’s Voice, 1966 First UK Mono Pressing)
Gérard Gustin Et Son Quartette – Musique Pour Un Bar (Barclay, 1958 First French Pressing)
The Vinyl Frontier: The Story of NASA’s Interstellar Mixtape by Jonathan Scott
But Beautiful by Geoff Dyer

I visited Kent for a few days last week and checked out a couple of record shops whilst there. I picked up the John Lee Hooker first UK pressing at Rock Bottom Records in Whitstable, the Gérard Gustin was from Vinylstore Jr in Canterbury, and the 2 jazz books were from Oxfam in Canterbury (one had a cool concert ticket in it). I also proposed to my now-fiancee which was clearly the best part of the whole trip!!

IMG_3610.JPG

Garrick's Fairground - Mr Smith's Apocalypse (Argo, 1971 First Pressing)
Ry Cooder, Manuel Galbán - Mambo Sinuendo (Nonesuch, 2003 First Pressing)
Mike Taylor Quartet ‎– Preparation (Sunbeam Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Joe Harriott Quintet ‎– BBC Jazz For Moderns (Gearbox Records, 2021 Limited Japanese Pressing)

The Michael Garrick was a great find that I have been hunting down for a while (seems to be going to high prices lately). I previously had the VMP Ry Cooder but someone offered me silly money for it through Instagram so I sold it. I then saw this pop-up and I was the only bidder so I got it super cheap. The Mike Taylor was my main want from next weeks RSD but I was able to somehow get it early. Finally, Gearbox released a load of amazing BBC sessions a while ago and I stupidly slept on them. They are now re-releasing them in Japan but are selling some here in the UK, so I was able to get this Joe Harriott release at my local.

IMG_3611.JPG

Dorothy Ashby - The Rubáiyát Of Dorothy Ashby (Cadet, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
The Frank Derrick Total Experience - You Betcha! (PS Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Freddie Hubbard - The Hub Of Hubbard (MPS Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)

Finally, some VMP jazz releases which all look to be great!

IMG_3608.JPG

Attachments

• 20210708_214124.jpg
    20210708_214124.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
A local shop that’s been doing online/curbside only since the pandemic began in March of last year is reopening on the 19th, and I really can’t wait for that. Meanwhile, here’s a trio of 45s I bought off their webstore:

0F5CCEA0-5C91-45B3-A39E-6BDF70E9AD87.jpeg

Another local is moving back in after having renovations done to their building, only open 3 hours every Saturday while they’re still bringing stuff in. Here’s some greatest hits albums my dad & I got from there today:

0CD4F18E-AD29-49D7-9827-1275CF80EFF7.jpeg

630BA6C7-1A3E-49BA-983B-E3BFDC5BC11B.jpeg91D39141-7971-4A4E-BB6E-ED1EFB6F05C0.jpeg764B76F8-ED62-4B78-8391-CE6C4272EB8D.jpegF064E170-41C8-4A26-8FBC-16FF6D8B2BC4.jpeg
We hosted a community “punk rock flea market” type sale and I sold some records and bought some others.

Some really great deals on these. For example, Pylon (Italian press) for $1, Ministry original US press $10, same with A Perfect Circle. $5 Prine hits. Pumped for the Meat Puppets as it’s been on my want list. I could have really gone overboard but I controlled myself.

FriYea! Fresh Grabs
View attachment 105145
Gatecreeper - Deserted
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Lemonheads - Hate Your Friends

Slum Village - Fantastic, Vol. 2
Gatcreeper and Modest Mouse were generous PIF’s from @dirty hands and @Ponman2003 respectively. @Ponman2003 also hooked me up with some RSD purchases he was able to grab for which I am mighty thankful.
View attachment 105152

Lucy Dacus - Home Video
Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

Vincent Neil Emerson - Vincent Neil Emerson
Steve Gunn - Eyes On The Lines
Ludacris - Back For The First Time
The top 3 were recent pick ups from my Local while the other two were online deals.
How's that Lucy Daucus album and pressing? Heard that first single on my local independent radio station and loved it.

How's that Lucy Daucus album and pressing? Heard that first single on my local independent radio station and loved it.
The album is fantastic I really enjoyed her first LP but this one is better IMO. I purchased the indie store clear variant and the pressing is alright, little bit of of static during the quiet parts but I bet a good clean would cure some of that. Overall I would say it’s worth the $23 for the vinyl.

The album is fantastic I really enjoyed her first LP but this one is better IMO. I purchased the indie store clear variant and the pressing is alright, little bit of of static during the quiet parts but I bet a good clean would cure some of that. Overall I would say it’s worth the $23 for the vinyl.
Thanks. Is your side B pressed off-center? Quite a few folks on Discoga said their copies had this issue.

Thanks. Is your side B pressed off-center? Quite a few folks on Discoga said their copies had this issue.
Mine has tiny bit of sway but nothing to write home about. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed had I not read the same comments on Discogs. I honestly went back and forth on whether I wanted to pick it up based on the comments when I was at my local last time but I am glad I did.

Another Seattle road trip (plus a quick stop in La Grande, OR), with quite a bit of time for digging. Here’s the bulk of it. As those of you with saints for wives (or husbands?) can imagine, mine is thrilled. Saw only 3 MoFi’s in the wild. One was Dylan’s first album that was over-priced; a second was Sticky Fingers, which probably was a decent price but reviews of it scared me away. The third was Music From Big Pink, which was too good a chance to pass up. Also picked up a few Giants of Jazz box sets that, like many I assume, look unplayed. I feel like I’ve read good things about them on the forum and at under $5 a piece I didn’t think I could go wrong. Beyond that it’s a hodgepodge, which is ideal in my book.

2A7448BD-6BC1-46D7-8D50-A955AD3DB721.jpeg

Last edited:
Another Seattle road trip (plus a quick stop in La Grande, OR), with quite a bit of time for digging. Here’s the bulk of it. As those of you with saints for wives (or husbands?) can imagine, mine is thrilled. Saw only 3 MoFi’s in the wild. One was Dylan’s first album that was over-priced; a second was Sticky Fingers, which probably was a decent price but reviews of it scared me away. The third was Music From the Big Pink, which was too good a chance to pass up. Also picked up a few Giants of Jazz box sets that, like many I assume, look unplayed. I feel like I’ve read good things about them on the forum and at under $5 a piece I didn’t think I could go wrong. Beyond that it’s a hodgepodge, which is ideal in my book.

View attachment 105365
FWIW, I have the Sticky Fingers MoFi and think it sounds solid. Music from Big Pink is a great one too.

Back