Fresh Grabs

The order I made for the Target exclusive Kids See Ghosts was supposed to be here today.
This arrived with the same tracking number instead. I knew something was wrong when the package was not correctly sized...

BTS - Be [Deluxe Edition]
16150756434365534025283813590633.jpg

Thankfully, a (correct?) replacement is en route. I don't know what to do with this, with the return request telling me to keep it...

My wife and I are having a kid free weekend and so we decided to hit up a couple of our local record shops today. We’ve been primarily shopping online prior to the pandemic so today was an extra treat to get out(masked up) and do some digging. With the exception of the Blues For Allah, everything else is a culmination between 2 stores.

79D68B8D-EA93-4A34-80B8-616743707D44.jpeg

Road tripping from PA to SC for a week away, family wedding plus R&R. Stopped at an antique warehouse place, loads of overpriced records to flip past (beat up thrift dreck for $5-$20, nah) and found a few cheapies.

First WoV EP on Index, Rich Kids features Midge Ure and Glen Matlock (produced by Mick Ronson) and an obscure metal album pressed in Finland.

82BC6B68-2A1C-4403-AC3F-E900E8EBFEBF.jpeg68283B25-0C8B-468D-8FE6-48C3F15254D6.jpeg7B69C698-26B3-40C9-BF95-C6CF8CDCFC3C.jpeg

Tubby Hayes And His Orchestra, New Jazz Group & Vic Ash Quartet - Modern Jazz Scene, 1956 (Tempo Records, 1956 First Mono Pressing)
Costanzo Plus Tubbs - Equation In Rhythm (Fontana, 1962 White Label Test/Sample Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - A Life Behind The Tenor by Mark Baxter (Mono Media Books, No.003/100)

Some fantastic Tubby Hayes bits arrived over the past few days. The Modern Jazz Scene is a real rarity which is now my second/upgrade copy and cost me just £1.99 plus postage. The Costano Plus Tubbs is now one of my coolest Tubby records as its the sample/test pressing copy which I had never even seen before this copy. Finally, a limited edition book by the producer of the Tubby Hayes documentary, containing photos of paraphernalia such as posters, handwritten notes, letters, etc.

View attachment 90744
View attachment 90745

Jef Gilson Big Band - Live À Gaveau (Sam Records, 2020 Limited French Pressing)
Miles Davis - Ascenseur Pour L'Échafaud (Sam Records, 2016 Limited 10" French Pressing)
Don Rendell Quartet - The Great Don Rendell (Tempo, 1955 First 7" Pressing)

I ordered a copy of the Jef Gilson album around Christmas time but the Discogs seller took my money and ran (luckily I was able to get it back in a claim). A few weeks later and Sam Records released 150 copies on their store and I was able to order one. I also picked up the Sam Records pressing of this Miles Davis 10" which I have been meaning to get for a while. Finally, I was after this Don Rendell 7" for a while but it seems to sell for silly money (one copy I missed out on went for £75 plus postage on Ebay), but luckily I was able to put an offer in for this which was accepted!

View attachment 90746
Where did you find a copy of that Miles? Cogs or is it still in stock somewhere?

This isn't particularly rare - a little harder to find in the US - but I've had it on the watch list for a while. Found a nice copy complete with OBI, magazine and poster at a reasonable price.

This 2LP set is a blast. Highly recommended if you're a Zep fan, or if you're not. Many of the songs are drastic departures from the originals. A peek at the artists involved confirms that.

Physical Graffiti Redrawn - A Mojo Magazine Tribute to Led Zeppelin's 'Physical Graffiti'

20210308_233014.jpg20210309_013715.jpg
20210309_013641.jpg

Last edited:
Love me some Donny Hathaway and Joe! When you spin it Donny, would you mind letting us know how it sounds and who did the mastering?

I got the Donny a few weeks back. It’s generic in house mastering and I’d say it’s probably from digital as that compilation was only ever a CD previously. While it doesn’t sound as good as my Rhino Extensions of A Man, and likely won’t sound sound as good as the SC of Everything Is Everything that I have on back order, it actually sounds pretty ok all things considered and it’s a really good introduction to Donny as a complication.

I got the Donny a few weeks back. It’s generic in house mastering and I’d say it’s probably from digital as that compilation was only ever a CD previously. While it doesn’t sound as good as my Rhino Extensions of A Man, and likely won’t sound sound as good as the SC of Everything Is Everything that I have on back order, it actually sounds pretty ok all things considered and it’s a really good introduction to Donny as a complication.
Thanks for the note. I'd thought that might be the case as it's hard/rare to get a compilation that sounds as good as an album. I've got the SC of Everything is Everything...you won't be disappointed. Now if SC would just do Donny Live...

Back