Ambient/N&G RotM/Outer Sounds pickups:

Joshua Abrams - Represencing
Ashley Bellouin and Ben Bracken - String Songs
Aquarelle - Leave Corners
Ashley Bellouin - Ballads
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Music For Nine Post Cards
Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

16146778746366017905690058757561.jpg

Got the third and fourth entries in the new Outer Sounds subscription service in, and I am still in the running to be a completionist in the club LOL. One thing I've really liked about Outer Sounds is that I have been able to find all of the titles outside of the service for much cheaper while still being introduced to new avant-garde and esoteric music to me. I haven't disliked a single selection so far, though some stand out more for me than others. In particular, this Ashley Bellouin and Ben Bracken collaboration is quite alluring for my tastes, and has a spot on my favorites for '21! On that topic, I bought String Songs (along with Ashley's solo record Ballads, in which she wrote a kind message in response) from last Bandcamp Friday and the former came with this bonus Aquarelle record, a mixture of classical with droney textures. Quite a nice gesture from the label.
I already have this Yoshimura classic on black, but I caved for the clear vinyl (really shouldn't have) on slight discount. My #45 all time.
Got duke86fan's N&G RotM choice and it fits well with my ambient/drone cube, alongside two other works by Hecker.

Miscellaneous pickups:

Alcest - Kodama
Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg
The Fall of Troy - Doppelgänger
Hilary Woods - Colt
Jess Williamson - Cosmic Wink
Somewhere Between: Mutant Pop, Electronic Minimalism & Shadow Sounds of Japan 1980-1988

16146783968885412943334852780006.jpg

One of my casual goals for this year is to make a deeper dive into metal and some of its less accessible subgenres. Alcest is that perfect blend of black metal, shoegaze, and post-rock (akin to Deafheaven) and it is a comfort zone for me.
Dead Can Dance fits the bill for brooding sounds and atmosphere.
Blame me for the FOMO buy on this Fall of Troy LP, although it is fair to call it a modern post-hardcore triumph.
Decided to nab Hilary Woods's debut LP to accompany her sophomore effort that I grabbed last month. Brooding textures similar to what Dead Can Dance, Marissa Nadler, and Grouper provide for me.
Really enjoyed Jess Williamson's album from last year, and feel similarly that Cosmic Wink is a solid entry in her catalogue.
LITA does it again. Another compilation of forgotten Japanese music that inhabits the space between ambient music and city-pop without truly being defined as either. The sounds explored on this 2xLP collection of songs is very avant-garde and forward thinking for its time. Very much up my alley, maybe even more than the Pacific Breeze compilations that were brought forth!

PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?
PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
Poppy - Poppy.Computer
Tei Shi - Crawl Space

16146786908162070517887224157284.jpg

Pretty nice deals to be found for these PJ Harvey reissues, hm? With these two accompanying To Bring You My Love, I now have the albums of hers I enjoy most, notably with Stories... being my #22 all time.
Saw the Turntable Lab reissue of Poppy's debut album and pounced on it, seeing as aftermarket prices on originals are absurd. However, reading about the reissue afterwards made me have buyer's remorse (TTL jacket is not holographic like the OG; does not contain insert; not truly endorsed/authorized by Moriah herself). Ugh...keeping mine sealed for now.
So pleased to finally have a physical copy of Crawl Space, a truly underrated record from '17. Tei Shi explores a wide array of sonic variety in this quirky and charming pop record, including some alternative R&B timbre that percolates through with shades of Kali Uchis.

My partner was... less than thrilled to see the postman arriving with THREE record mailers this morning, using the extra space in our recently purchased first home as justification has been a fairly unsuccessful tactic so far, but at the very least she will enjoy the MGMT 😅

MGMT - Little Dark Age
Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die
Standing On The Corner - G-E-T-O-U-T!! The Ghetto
Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

92FF69A2-AF20-4F2D-962F-27B711366DA8.jpeg

Such a sucker for the hhv vinyl weekender sales. Picked up some stuff I had on my wishlist:

A.A.L. 2017-2019. I feel like this one pushes my limits in terms of my music comfort zone a bit than the first album. I think it's totally explosive

The Avalanches - We Will Always Love You. I got the deluxe version and it's probably the nicest multi-fold 2 LP packaging I own. Takes up a fair bit of shelf space.

IMG_20210302_203610.jpg

Hampshire & Foat - Galaxies Like Grain of Sand. Does this forum ever lead you astray with recommendations? I learnt about this through the jazz thread but I wouldn't call it jazz per se. Great pressing and awesome label by the way. I would recommend you check it out :)

IMG_20210302_203620.jpg

1B5C9586-9021-4655-A26F-5B20BBE05F81.jpeg
Bon Jovi - Crossroads
Aretha Franklin - Young, Gifted, and Black

The Bon Jovi hits collection was a birthday gift from my sister, and I’m excited to dig into the Aretha - I love what I’ve heard from Spotify.

A2A48BF5-FF43-47F2-8B91-599FB97589F1.jpegThe Beatles- Help! DVD box set

The Help! box set might be the best $5 I’ll spend all year, what a fantastic deal! And this is my first foray into PJ Harvey - this podcast got me really excited for this album:

View attachment 90372
Bon Jovi - Crossroads
Aretha Franklin - Young, Gifted, and Black

The Bon Jovi hits collection was a birthday gift from my sister, and I’m excited to dig into the Aretha - I love what I’ve heard from Spotify.

View attachment 90374The Beatles- Help! DVD box set

The Help! box set might be the best $5 I’ll spend all year, what a fantastic deal! And this is my first foray into PJ Harvey - this podcast got me really excited for this album:

Best place to start with PJ IMO

Mail day

First up, the accideal from popmarket came through. It's bigger than I expected!IMG_20210303_191812.jpg

Next up, a japanese group I hadn't seen the name of in a long time. Thee Michele Gun ElephantIMG_20210303_191224.jpg

Next, one of my favorite groups, managed to find another of the vinyl available!

Small Circle Of FriendsIMG_20210303_190506.jpg

Next up, StarRo's Monday. Finally tracked down a reasonable copy, sadly it got destroyed on the way...
IMG_20210303_185708.jpg
IMG_20210303_185703.jpg

Oooh. I have that Sgt Peppers incoming too. Let us know how it sounds!

Willdo! It came from Greece, it has a thirst for knowledge...

Actially no it’s just a really clean looking vinyl 😂. No mofi inserts but I’m glad of that, I hate them damn clunky pieces of card! They’re only advertisements anyway!

Yeah I found my copy over here at Half Price Books for .50cents👍🏻👍🏻
I’ll Take that deal any day :)

Yeah it’s a US only release so there’s not a chance in hell I could have got it that cheap. €5 and a resultant €2 off the €20 shipping isn’t bad going!

Back