Fresh Grabs

Not sure. It seems like they are only releasing them in small spurts. If it’s their plan to drive up demand then their plan is working, because the prices on the secondary market are stupid. Hopefully they get their shit together because this reissue is really good. The wax sounds great and it’s a nice gatefold tip-on jacket. Not worth $150 but definitely worth $34.
Yeah by all accounts it seems like the same reissue you could find everywhere ~10 years ago. Same story with Zen Arcade. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it. They're just leaving money on the table (not to mention exposing more people to these classics).

October Fresh Grabs
View attachment 116258
I decided to go a different route to show off my fresh grabs from October without taking up as much real estate…plus everyone loves a good gif, right?
Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
Medeski Martin & Wood - The Dropper
R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi
Destroyer - Streethawk: A Seduction
Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
Spiritualized - Pure Phase
Spiritualized - Let It Come Down
Sonny And The Sunsets - Tomorrow Is Alright
Junior Kimbrough And The Soul Blues Boys - All Night Long

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Led Zeppelin - III
Mike Cooley, Patterson Hood, & Jason Isbell - Live at the Shoals Theatre
Haunted House Party - Haunted House Party
Neil Young - Carnegie Hall 1970
The War On Drugs - I Don’t Live Here Anymore
Squid - Bright Green Field
Ducks Ltd. - Get Bleak
Ducks Ltd. - Modern Fiction
Nora Jones - I Dream Of Christmas

Lots of good stuff this month. Everything this month was brand new. The first portion were reissues and the second portion new releases. My biggest “get” was probably Double Nickels On The Dime. My local got a 3 copies of the new reissues in stock and they were gone in 10 minutes. I was also happy to add two of my favorite new artists of the past year in Ducks LTD. and Squid. I got the other two Spiritualized reissues I needed. I went with the black pressing of Pure Phase since GITD vinyl usually blows. I grabbed Ivory pressing of Let It Come Down to replace my shitty Plain pressing. The Neil Young and Cooley/Hood/Isbell live albums both sound fantastic (especially NY). The unofficial Drive-By Truckers reunion live album was a steal, 4xLPs for $16. Happy to own New Adventures In Hi-Fi on wax, one of R.E.M.’s best 90s albums and fairly underrated (though not around here). The new The War On Drugs album doesn’t disappoint, another quality release by a band that’s discography is chocked full of em. Lastly, pleased to had a couple new seasonal albums Haunted House Party is a nice DJ mix that incorporates dusty grooves with spooky sounds and is probably funky enough to spin year round and a Nora Jones Christmas album seems like a winning combo though it’ll be a few more weeks until it hits the turntable.
Nice haul! What do you think of the new War on Drugs album?

Nice haul! What do you think of the new War on Drugs album?
Thanks! Yeah, I have only listened to it a few times thus far but I am really enjoying it. I feel like with each record they’ve slightly refined their sound a bit more. The recording is impeccable and the record spunds fantastic. I feel like this album is similar to their last in that Atlantic gives them whatever they want from a support standpoint and Adam takes full advantage it. Making big sweeping epic music. It feels like if they were around in the 1980s they would have filled stadiums. I appreciate their willingness to go big while still seeming like a band of low key session musicians. I probably prefer their earlier Lower-fi albums a bit more overall (I am a lo-fI kinda guy) but I feel like if they had the ability to make their first 3 albums sound like their last 2 they would have in a heart beat.

Last edited:
October Acquisitions

Mostly picks from different years, so I'll be lumping them all together for this month.

Laurie Anderson - Big Science
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Boldy James & Sterling Toles - Manger on McNichols
Burial - Untrue

20211031_160350.jpg

Listening to Laurie Anderson made the "click" to understanding why I like Lost Girls' Menneskekollektivet so much from this year. Outsider music that is incredibly innovative.
Well, since I have Music has the Right to Children as my #2 all-time, how could I not have more Boards of Canada?!?!? Geogaddi is far more unsettling and disturbing than their other work, but still a high water mark in IDM and electronic music as a whole.
See the recent Boldy James show for more info on Manger on McNichols. Had to drop a bit on this one, but because I sold six records for $425 in the month of October, it was tolerable.
Untrue is about essential as it gets for UK garage releases.

Kate Bush - Never for Ever
Madison Cunningham - Who Are You Now
IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
Kodomo - Still Life

20211031_160511.jpg

Added another Kate LP, and I'm noticing a few of her reissues are drying up in retailers, particularly The Kick Inside and Aerials.
Got this signed Madison Cunningham record thanks to my concert-going friend who bought it for me at the merch table while seeing her for her Portland stop.
Never had an IDLES record in my collection until last month. But primarily with my rising interest in post-punk did I seek this one out. Pretty good one.
Big thanks to @zdkaiser for the hat PIF on this Kodomo record. As he mentioned, highly recommended for Board of Canada fans. This one also came signed by the artist on the top right corner on the back!

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might be Introvert
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Arthur Russell - World of Echo
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space
Television - Marquee Moon

20211101_051924.jpg

The newest from Little Simz is phenomenal. I do believe in my heart of hearts that this will be viewed as a landmark release of the decade in due time.
Glad that Loveless is now available to all who want it for a reasonable price (by today's standards).
This album by Arthur Russell might not be for everyone, but it is quite special. Something I would have overlooked had it not been for my avant-garde/ambient leanings from the past few years.
Don't burn me for this...…..but I like the new Ladies and Gentlemen... cover more. There, I said it.
Some more post-punk added with Marquee Moon.

October Acquisitions

Mostly picks from different years, so I'll be lumping them all together for this month.

Laurie Anderson - Big Science
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Boldy James & Sterling Toles - Manger on McNichols
Burial - Untrue

View attachment 116209

Listening to Laurie Anderson made the "click" to understanding why I like Lost Girls' Menneskekollektivet so much from this year. Outsider music that is incredibly innovative.
Well, since I have Music has the Right to Children as my #2 all-time, how could I not have more Boards of Canada?!?!? Geogaddi is far more unsettling and disturbing than their other work, but still a high water mark in IDM and electronic music as a whole.
See the recent Boldy James show for more info on Manger on McNichols. Had to drop a bit on this one, but because I sold six records for $425 in the month of October, it was tolerable.
Untrue is about essential as it gets for UK garage releases.

Kate Bush - Never for Ever
Madison Cunningham - Who Are You Now
IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
Kodomo - Still Life

View attachment 116210

Added another Kate LP, and I'm noticing a few of her reissues are drying up in retailers, particularly The Kick Inside and Aerials.
Got this signed Madison Cunningham record thanks to my concert-going friend who bought it for me at the merch table while seeing her for her Portland stop.
Never had an IDLES record in my collection until last month. But primarily with my rising interest in post-punk did I seek this one out. Pretty good one.
Big thanks to @zdkaiser for the hat PIF on this Kodomo record. As he mentioned, highly recommended for Board of Canada fans. This one also came signed by the artist on the top right corner on the back!

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might be Introvert
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Arthur Russell - World of Echo
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space
Television - Marquee Moon

View attachment 116211

The newest from Little Simz is phenomenal. I do believe in my heart of hearts that this will be viewed as a landmark release of the decade in due time.
Glad that Loveless is now available to all who want it for a reasonable price (by today's standards).
This album by Arthur Russell might not be for everyone, but it is quite special. Something I would have overlooked had it not been for my avant-garde/ambient leanings from the past few years.
Don't burn me for this...…..but I like the new Ladies and Gentlemen... cover more. There, I said it.
Some more post-punk added with Marquee Moon.
That signed Boldy !! Im closing in on dropping $100 for one ( not signed)... I keep talking myself out of it though.

Muriel Grossmann - Union / Natural Time

This is becoming a nice end of year ritual with new releases from Muriel, possibly my favourite current jazz musician (although competition is v fierce). These are typically brilliant sounding, well packaged etc. Only 10 days to get through Norwegian customs too, which seems to be fast these days. Well worth getting.

20211102_185618.jpg

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon / Wish You Were Here
Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Ding Dong You're Dead

Saw some love for these Pink Floyd reissues, and they were both cheap and available at a local so thought I'd get to upgrade my crackly 70s copies. Plus, a fabulous local artist who I've seen described as Jazz Sabbath - heavy metal-ish guitar in a kind of jazz trio. Off to see her later this month too.

20211102_185605.jpg

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
Manzanita y su Conjunto
Richard & Linda Thompson - Sunnyvista

The Little Simz is vying with Dave to be my AOTY so far - absolutely adore it. Plus an Analog Africa pick up, and the last of the Richard & Linda Thompsons I wanted.

20211102_185551.jpg

The Beatles - Paperback Writer b/w Rain
Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Trois Orchestres de Dahomey

The Thompsons album and the Beatles single are both from the record shop in my home town (almost village), which I wish had been there when I grew up. Still a nice place to return to a couple of times a year. Plus one of the rarest Poly-Rythmo's out there.

20211102_185536.jpg

Orchestre Laye Thiam / Saf Mounadem

So much 🔥 but I might have saved the best for last, at least one of the holiest of holy grails. This album (well, the b side, Saf Mounadem) is Orchestre Baobab before they were called that. Got it for a v reasonable price from the always excellent Superfly Records. Happy days...

20211102_185519.jpg

Muriel Grossmann - Union / Natural Time

This is becoming a nice end of year ritual with new releases from Muriel, possibly my favourite current jazz musician (although competition is v fierce). These are typically brilliant sounding, well packaged etc. Only 10 days to get through Norwegian customs too, which seems to be fast these days. Well worth getting.

View attachment 116314

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon / Wish You Were Here
Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Ding Dong You're Dead

Saw some love for these Pink Floyd reissues, and they were both cheap and available at a local so thought I'd get to upgrade my crackly 70s copies. Plus, a fabulous local artist who I've seen described as Jazz Sabbath - heavy metal-ish guitar in a kind of jazz trio. Off to see her later this month too.

View attachment 116315

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
Manzanita y su Conjunto
Richard & Linda Thompson - Sunnyvista

The Little Simz is vying with Dave to be my AOTY so far - absolutely adore it. Plus an Analog Africa pick up, and the last of the Richard & Linda Thompsons I wanted.

View attachment 116316

The Beatles - Paperback Writer b/w Rain
Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Trois Orchestres de Dahomey

The Thompsons album and the Beatles single are both from the record shop in my home town (almost village), which I wish had been there when I grew up. Still a nice place to return to a couple of times a year. Plus one of the rarest Poly-Rythmo's out there.

View attachment 116317

Orchestre Laye Thiam / Saf Mounadem

So much 🔥 but I might have saved the best for last, at least one of the holiest of holy grails. This album (well, the b side, Saf Mounadem) is Orchestre Baobab before they were called that. Got it for a v reasonable price from the always excellent Superfly Records. Happy days...

View attachment 116318
I was literally going to message you to see if you have had any movement with the Muriel's. Mines still in delivery limbo....

October Fresh Grabs
View attachment 116258
I decided to go a different route to show off my fresh grabs from October without taking up as much real estate…plus everyone loves a good gif, right?
Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
Medeski Martin & Wood - The Dropper
R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi
Destroyer - Streethawk: A Seduction
Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
Spiritualized - Pure Phase
Spiritualized - Let It Come Down
Sonny And The Sunsets - Tomorrow Is Alright
Junior Kimbrough And The Soul Blues Boys - All Night Long

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Led Zeppelin - III
Mike Cooley, Patterson Hood, & Jason Isbell - Live at the Shoals Theatre
Haunted House Party - Haunted House Party
Neil Young - Carnegie Hall 1970
The War On Drugs - I Don’t Live Here Anymore
Squid - Bright Green Field
Ducks Ltd. - Get Bleak
Ducks Ltd. - Modern Fiction
Nora Jones - I Dream Of Christmas

Lots of good stuff this month. Everything this month was brand new. The first portion were reissues and the second portion new releases. My biggest “get” was probably Double Nickels On The Dime. My local got a 3 copies of the new reissues in stock and they were gone in 10 minutes. I was also happy to add two of my favorite new artists of the past year in Ducks LTD. and Squid. I got the other two Spiritualized reissues I needed. I went with the black pressing of Pure Phase since GITD vinyl usually blows. I grabbed Ivory pressing of Let It Come Down to replace my shitty Plain pressing. The Neil Young and Cooley/Hood/Isbell live albums both sound fantastic (especially NY). The unofficial Drive-By Truckers reunion live album was a steal, 4xLPs for $16. Happy to own New Adventures In Hi-Fi on wax, one of R.E.M.’s best 90s albums and fairly underrated (though not around here). The new The War On Drugs album doesn’t disappoint, another quality release by a band that’s discography is chocked full of em. Lastly, pleased to had a couple new seasonal albums Haunted House Party is a nice DJ mix that incorporates dusty grooves with spooky sounds and is probably funky enough to spin year round and a Nora Jones Christmas album seems like a winning combo though it’ll be a few more weeks until it hits the turntable.
F'in slide shows! awesome sauce!

Thanks! Yeah, I have only listened to it a few times thus far but I am really enjoying it. I feel like with each record they’ve slightly refined their sound a bit more. The recording is impeccable and the record spunds fantastic. I feel like this album is similar to their last in that Atlantic gives them whatever they want from a support standpoint and Adam takes full advantage it. Making big sweeping epic music. It feels like if they were around in the 1980s they would have filled stadiums. I appreciate their willingness to go big while still seeming like a band of low key session musicians. I probably prefer their earlier Lower-fi albums a bit more overall (I am a lo-fI kinda guy) but I feel like if they had the ability to make their first 3 albums sound like their last 2 they would have in a heart beat.
Glad you enjoy it. I kind of had the opposite reaction. The new album is kinda boring, though I've only listened through twice. Only the second track really stood out for me, and the rest sort of all just blended together. For me, it's also missing those long, fuzzed out guitar solos. And the pace of the songs is all just too similar. It seems like their uptempo songs all have the same BPM, drum beat, and rythym section.

The MPO pressing seems alright. Not too fond of the vinyl mastering though on this one. The top end is a bit shrill. Not sure how to describe it.

Glad you enjoy it. I kind of had the opposite reaction. The new album is kinda boring, though I've only listened through twice. Only the second track really stood out for me, and the rest sort of all just blended together. For me, it's also missing those long, fuzzed out guitar solos. And the pace of the songs is all just too similar. It seems like their uptempo songs all have the same BPM, drum beat, and rythym section.

The MPO pressing seems alright. Not too fond of the vinyl mastering though on this one. The top end is a bit shrill. Not sure how to describe it.
Yeah, I guess I don’t really mind the whole album blending together when it comes to The War On Drugs. I kinda throw The War On Drugs, Kurt Vile, and Steve Gunn all in the same lane I enjoy the almost hypnotic nature of their music packed with guitar and reverb. I agree it’s lacking a bit in the fuzzy guitars solos. Their are a few spots that it feels like one will hit and instead they choose to beg off. I still really enjoy I Don’t Live Here Anymore it might be a step or two below Gunn’s Other You ( which is an AOTY contender for me). I don’t know where it will end up in comparison to other WOD releases but even if it ends up my least favorite, it’s still feels like a fine album.

Yeah, I guess I don’t really mind the whole album blending together when it comes to The War On Drugs. I kinda throw The War On Drugs, Kurt Vile, and Steve Gunn all in the same lane I enjoy the almost hypnotic nature of their music packed with guitar and reverb. I agree it’s lacking a bit in the fuzzy guitars solos. Their are a few spots that it feels like one will hit and instead they choose to beg off. I still really enjoy I Don’t Live Here Anymore it might be a step or two below Gunn’s Other You ( which is an AOTY contender for me). I don’t know where it will end up in comparison to other WOD releases but even if it ends up my least favorite, it’s still feels like a fine album.
Exactly, left me wanting more guitar, less vocals. I still need to give it a few more dedicated listens. Maybe it'll be a slow burner for me.

Have you checked out William Tyler? Kinda fits right in with those three. I love throwing that on and getting that laid back guitar.

Have you checked out William Tyler? Kinda fits right in with those three. I love throwing that on and getting that laid back guitar.
I am aware of him but haven’t really given him too close of a listen. I assumed he was more of a John Fahey-esque primitive acoustic virtuoso type. Not that that would be a turn off, I enjoy Jim O’Rourke and Ryley Walker so I feel like I would dig Tyler’s music also but I have never given it a go.

Where should a go first?

Back