Fresh Grabs

Any way you could crack open that Radiohead and look at the deadwax to see if it was pressed at Optimal or the United pressing plant?
Looking at the images that have come in so far I'm almoat certain the US ones are United but I bet they're done with Optimal plates and may not be marked as such. And if they were done at Optimal, they'd probably be delayed with the rest of the Kid A Mnesia stuff.

It's been a hell of a week.

"Speak Low" - More Mood Music In The Modern Manner (Tempo Records, 1958 First Pressing)
The Tony Kinsey Quartet - Time Gentlemen Please (Decca, 1959 First Pressing)

A couple of incredible records that I have been wanting to get hold of for years. The Speak Low is one of the rarest releases on the Tempo label (although there are certainly a few that are even rarer) and is a compilation of tracks taken from some of their best albums and 7" releases. It would be nearly impossible to get hold of all of them as a lot of the 7" were pressed in incredibly low numbers. There are also a couple of tracks that only appear on this release as well. It includes the likes of Ronnie Scott, Don Rendell, Victor Feldman, Jimmy Deuchar, etc. The Tony Kinsey Quartet is a fantastically underrated release that really cooks. I have been looking for a decent copy for a while so I was super happy to get this at a superb price.

IMG_0132.JPG

Joe Harriott - Joe Harriott Memorial 1973 (One-Up, 1973 First Pressing)
The In-Town Jazz Group - Progressive Jazz Vol. 2 (Decca, 1955 First 10" Pressing)

The Harriott was released shortly after his passing and features a load of his greatest tracks. The 'Progressive Jazz Vol 2' is an interesting release that features the killer Dizzy Reece on trumpet.

IMG_0133.JPG

I also bought a couple of great jazz posters that cost next to nothing. I really love the DIY approcah to these.

IMG_0129.JPG

Finally another oddity which is a signed Don Rendell postcard.

IMG_0130.JPG

It's been a hell of a week.

"Speak Low" - More Mood Music In The Modern Manner (Tempo Records, 1958 First Pressing)
The Tony Kinsey Quartet - Time Gentlemen Please (Decca, 1959 First Pressing)

A couple of incredible records that I have been wanting to get hold of for years. The Speak Low is one of the rarest releases on the Tempo label (although there are certainly a few that are even rarer) and is a compilation of tracks taken from some of their best albums and 7" releases. It would be nearly impossible to get hold of all of them as a lot of the 7" were pressed in incredibly low numbers. There are also a couple of tracks that only appear on this release as well. It includes the likes of Ronnie Scott, Don Rendell, Victor Feldman, Jimmy Deuchar, etc. The Tony Kinsey Quartet is a fantastically underrated release that really cooks. I have been looking for a decent copy for a while so I was super happy to get this at a superb price.

View attachment 116547

Joe Harriott - Joe Harriott Memorial 1973 (One-Up, 1973 First Pressing)
The In-Town Jazz Group - Progressive Jazz Vol. 2 (Decca, 1955 First 10" Pressing)

The Harriott was released shortly after his passing and features a load of his greatest tracks. The 'Progressive Jazz Vol 2' is an interesting release that features the killer Dizzy Reece on trumpet.

View attachment 116550

I also bought a couple of great jazz posters that cost next to nothing. I really love the DIY approcah to these.

View attachment 116551

Finally another oddity which is a signed Don Rendell postcard.

View attachment 116552
You need to open a British Jazz Kissa one day :unsure:
;)

Okay, I've been waiting a bit for this one. This is Tricky's unofficial second album. It falls between Maxinquaye and Pre-Millennium Tension. It's called Nearly God and was the result of a clause in his recording contract with Island Records, which allowed him to release an album once a year under a name other than his own. He knew Island wouldn't let him release two albums in one year as Tricky so he created this one attributed to "Nearly God". It's the only release he ever did under this name and I've never found it on any streaming platform either. It features Bjork, Nenah Cherry and Martina Topley-Bird who was the vocalist on Maxinquaye, among others. It had one pressing in 1996 and that's it. Managed to grab this NM/NM copy from Greece.
20211105_122948.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I've been waiting a bit for this one. This is Tricky's unofficial second album. It falls between Maxinquaye and Pre-Millennium Tension. It's called Nearly God and was the result of a clause in his recording contract with Island Records, which allowed him to release an album once a year under a name other than his own. He knew Island wouldn't let him release two albums in one year as Tricky so he created this one attributed to "Nearly God". It features Bjork, Nenah Cherry and Martina Topley-Bird who was the vocalist on Maxinquaye, among others. It had one pressing in 1996 and that's it. Managed to grab this NM/NM copy from Greece.
View attachment 116584

Absolute fire, this one!

Back