Fresh Grabs

Criterion thread? My people! Even more specifically lol

ryan-seacrest-uh-oh-american-idol-judge-drama.gif

I haven't watched it in years, but I'm a fan. I've definitely never watched this 3-disc Criterion situation, before
The “Love Conquers All” version is a fun watch, just to compare and contrast the differences, how it completely changed the film. The original version is far and away the superior film, but still interesting.

10th Anniversary version of The Monitor came in today. It’s the one on the right. The left is the original embossed cover. Newer one is slightly darker print and the record labels are darker as well. I’m gonna give it a good proper wash and spin tomorrow. Supposedly, it’s been mastered for vinyl, so interested to see if I can spot any differences. I’ve listened to this album dozens and dozens of times, so I’m excited. It is firmly in my #1 Album of the 2010’s spot.0900A41A-99FA-4BFC-8703-BCABC172F49E.jpeg

The Mike Westbrook Concert Band - Marching Song Vol. 1 (Deram, 1969 First Stereo Pressing)
The Mike Westbrook Concert Band - Marching Song Vol. 2 (Deram, 1969 First Stereo Pressing)

This was an incredible purchase. I have been after the albums for ages but they typically don't pop up that often and are quite pricey when they do. I saw Vol 2 pop up for a really great price so I quickly put the order in and a few hours later the seller messaged to say that he also had Vol 1 and would include that for no extra cost. An incredibly generous act and I'm super happy with them. The music is pretty incredibly as well, a mix of free-jazz and big band.

IMG_9867.JPG

The Charles Lloyd Quartet - Journey Within (Atlantic, 1967 First Signed Pressing)

Another cool buy. I have actually been streaming a lot of Charles Lloyd's music lately as we are seeing him live later on in the year. This was one of the albums that I have been listening to quite a bit, with the cool addition of it being signed. I can make out the Charles Lloyd and Ron McClure autographs (and maybe the Jack DeJohnette?), but I'm not sure whose the middle ones are (the ones to the top left corner of the Lloyd photo).

IMG_9864.JPG
IMG_9865.JPG

Victor Feldman – Victor Feldman Nine-tet (Tempo Records, 1956 First 7" Pressing)

This is a cool rarity. The Tempo stuff is all really hard to come by nowadays as they destroyed all the masters to make room in the late 70's. There are almost no reissues as a result and the very few that have been re-released have to rely on decent originals as the source. This 7" is superb and features Victor Feldman alongside the likes of Tubby Hayes, Ronnie Scott, Dizzy Reece and Jimmy Deuchar. It didn't have the sleeve with it but I realised that I can just print it, so I will do that for it and a few others that I am missing.

IMG_9870.jpg

Mike Taylor Quartet - Mandala (Jazz In Britain, 2021 First Pressing)

I shared this on the Jazz thread yesterday. I've been looking forward to this one, it's been decades since we had the chance to hear 'new' music from Mike Taylor and we have had 2 new releases in one year!

IMG_9869.JPG

Back