Upcoming/Recent Shows

Sarah Jarosz (October 2, 2021)

I've seen Sarah live more than any other artist - I think I'm around 11-12 shows of varying formats at this point. First off, if you have any inkling of liking bluegrass or Americana, high quality songwriting, and great bandwork, you owe it to yourself to find a way to see her live. Fortunately, she is still playing reasonably small rooms for her solo shows as it just works a lot better (IMO) in these sub 1k fan rooms.

She is one of my favorite musicians on the planet so I'm hopelessly biased, so I'll just highlight something I think is really underrated: playlist composition. She does an impeccable job at building a playlist in a fashion that keeps the crowd engaged, gives unfamiliar listeners something to cling to, and also makes sure she features her current work. Linked is her setlist from the show

Every song from the album she was touring off of, several of her bigger songs, and five different, perfectly crafted cover songs: album and non-album alike. The crowd really ate up the U2 and Tom Waits efforts specifically. She also has an upright bass back in the band which adds that really complementary dimension and lets her play some of her older songs. My recording of her Prine cover (Unwed Fathers) isn't amazing (but it was heartbreaking), so I'll link to her livestream cover of Childish Things which closed the main set. I really hope she delves a bit more into this rock-friendly side as she's super dynamic in that sphere.

PXL_20211003_001943255.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211003_001945705.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211003_001945705.MP.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 0
Went to Ohana Encore on Saturday. To start, Pearl Jam was so much better than the previous weekend. Crowd was a little sparser which might have helped, but the songs didn't seem as forced and the band looked more relaxed and that they were enjoying themselves more. They spread the new songs out more in the setlist which helped as well. Last song of the festival was Rockin' in the Free World with many of the performers - including having Matt Cameron, Taylor Hawkins, and Chad Smith all playing drums at the same time. Looking forward to the to-be-rescheduled PJ tour already.

I alluded to it in my previous post from last weekend, but the amount of female performers that I saw during Ohana was amazing: Brandi Carlile, Yola, Celisse Henderson, Sleater-Kinney, Margo Price, Sharon Van Etten, Combo Chimbita, Mon Lafuerte, Jade Bird, Maggie Rogers, and Shovels & Rope. Add that to seeing the Alanis Morrisette / Garbage / Cat Power tour in the middle of the week and it feels like an embarrassment of riches after the last two years.

1633370544068.png

Great show last Saturday with a friend. Madison Cunningham is a very underrated talent.

S.G. Goodman

Opener was an Americana/country singer/songwriter from Kentucky with her band. Not quite my vibe, but still enjoyable. My friend was impressed enough that she followed Goodman on Instagram. As the photos would indicate, we were situated in front early within ~2min of doors open to venue.

20211002_210214.jpg20211002_210217.jpg

Madison Cunningham

Truth be told, the underlying reason for my initial ticket purchase from several months ago in mid-May was purely from my friend's recommendation. I'm glad I took the chance on this one; Madison is a wonderful performer.

18 song setlist, including encore!

20211002_221806.jpg20211002_223105.jpg

Post-show

We were conversating with another concertgoer behind us, who we learned came from Virginia for a week-long visit to PDX, just before Goodman took stage. The conversation continued just afterward to just share our enjoyment and admiration of both Goodman's and Cunningham's performances. We wished one another other well for the night, and headed to the merch table, where my friend was generous enough to secure me an LP of Who are you now, as a thank you for purchasing a few records for her from months ago and covering the dinner bill in the hours before the show, as well as a shirt and tote bag for herself. Hung around for a few minutes waiting for Doug Fir Lounge staff/musicians to come on stage for gear takedown. I approached one of them to request the copy to be signed, simultaneously offering a Sharpie from my bag. She obliged, asked for my name and after providing it, whisked away to backstage for ~30sec. She hastily returned the Sharpie and LP to me, now adorned with an elegant signature, albeit sans personalization.
My friend asked the staff member for the same immediately after mine was secure in my bag. Seconds later, a few ladies marking the next members of a line behind us requested for my pen to be used, as they bought posters/LPs at the merch table to be signed. Before I had a chance to respond, the same staff member reassured the ladies (and everyone else interested in signed merch) that Madison herself had some pens and that she would be available momentarily in person to sign merch/chat for a few minutes. My friend, who claims that Madison is among her favorite artists of the past few years, was eager to speak with her for a minute or two. Sure enough, she appeared from the stage curtains on the right. My friend took a minute or so to just say thank you for the concert, and to thank Madison for shouting her out on a random IG post. When my turn came, I simply just thanked Madison for stopping by Portland, to hopefully come back soon, and to have a safe rest of the tour.
Madison's brand of singer/songwriter music is not necessarily my cup of tea, but it was a delight in a live concert setting. I'm glad that I took the chance on this show, and glad I could go with a friend who enjoys it more than I.

20211003_010117.jpg

I went to a pretty incredible gig last night at the Purcell Room of the Southbank Centre here in London. It was by Ill Considered, a group that I have seen before, but this time they really created a show like no other, super immersive and almost all of it was purely improvised. The show was split into different segments (which was announced at the beginning):

1. An improvised performance by the band with the addition of it being live recorded by Lisa Wormsley onto a big screen and edited in real time. This was overlaid with an art piece being created live by Vincent De Boer, taking inspiration from the music, which was also on the big screen and layered over the video footage.

2. A improvised re-interpretation of Vincent De Boer's award-winning film 'The Stroke' (which was Ill Considered's last album to be released).

3. An audience participation that allowed the music to be changed in real-time by changing the speed and style of play. The audience were encouraged to go down to the stage and, whilst the band were playing, edit the selections on a pad that was hooked up to the big screen. Each member of the band would use the screen as a visual cue and change their speed and style in real time. Pretty damn incredible and showed just how amazing they are as musicians to be able to do that.

4. An additional performance with a guest guitarist (I missed his name but will have to find who it was), who was live-streamed onto the big screen. To make it even more interesting, the guitarist couldn't hear what was being played so the band used his playing as the lead and follow him.

5. A live art piece created by Vincent De Boer, which was live projected onto the screen with the group improvising the music based on the art created.

So incredible and clearly a lot of work went into this to make it work. Definitely a one-off performance which was superb.

IMG_8947.JPG
IMG_8967.JPG
IMG_8959.JPG

Went to Indigo Girls w/ San Diego Symphony last night. Wasn't that impressed with the show - the guitars were pretty much drowned out by the symphony, and it took me some time to get my head into the mode of there being no improvisation since it's all orchestrated. Once I concentrated on the symphony and arrangements it got better. What made it fun was it was the first show I've been to at new venue in town, the "shell" on the waterfront. Great architecture and incredible acoustics. And it has a public walkway all the way around it so you can walk around during the shows (but not necessarily see the stage). I'll be back there in a few weeks to see a quintet playing Lee Morgan and John Coltrane, which I think will be much better show.

1633995441524.png

I know there’s a lot of St. Vincent fans on this forum - if for some reason you haven’t seen her yet I suggest you do so at your earliest convenience. Sheesh.
I have seen St. Vincent twice. The last time was on her Masseduction tour where it was only her on stage with lots of visuals in the background. It was pretty cool, but I like seeing all the performers, too. Is this tour different?

I have seen St. Vincent twice. The last time was on her Masseduction tour where it was only her on stage with lots of visuals in the background. It was pretty cool, but I like seeing all the performers, too. Is this tour different?
She leans HARD into the 70s aesthetic, complete with backup singers, and variety show backdrop, etc. She even remixes some old songs in the funky style. I didn't particularly like the new record, but the show was a blast.

Apparently last night was my 26th time seeing St. Vincent live. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

W2NUxBB.png

She leans HARD into the 70s aesthetic, complete with backup singers, and variety show backdrop, etc. She even remixes some old songs in the funky style. I didn't particularly like the new record, but the show was a blast.
My friend and I were discussing last night whether she forces the guitarist & bassist to have those haircuts. Our conclusion was “yes.”

James Blake was great in DC last night! Just him, a drummer, and a guitarist (who also played other instruments). He clarified at one point that everything we were hearing was being performed live, which is kind of mind-blowing because it sounds so good. Just his voice on its own is impressive enough, but with everything else he does, it's really cool to see it all come together.

The only thing that was annoying was that for some reason they had set up rows of chairs on the floor even though it was GA, so there were no assigned seats and people were just pretending to save seats next to them (which you can't really get away with when everyone is just standing), so I had to sit like way at the back. But it was a great show and reminded me of all the things I love about him.

Saw Brian Wilson tonight. Man, he's looking rough. I don't think he even touched the piano he was sitting at the whole show. The musicians around him were great though, so it was more like Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, and a cover band playing Beach Boys songs in the presence of Brian Wilson.

PXL_20211020_235736739.jpgPXL_20211020_235741338.MP.jpg

Saw Brian Wilson tonight. Man, he's looking rough. I don't think he even touched the piano he was sitting at the whole show. The musicians around him were great though, so it was more like Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, and a cover band playing Beach Boys songs in the presence of Brian Wilson.

View attachment 115330View attachment 115331
I saw him at Pitchfork fest a few years back when he played the full Pet Sounds set and it was similar.

I saw him at Pitchfork fest a few years back when he played the full Pet Sounds set and it was similar.

I interviewed him a few years ago. Shared the line with his assistant and he answered everything with no or I don't know. I feel like he hasn't been all there for a while and it's weird they continue to wheel him out like Weekend at Bernie's instead of letting the man rest.

I interviewed him a few years ago. Shared the line with his assistant and he answered everything with no or I don't know. I feel like he hasn't been all there for a while and it's weird they continue to wheel him out like Weekend at Bernie's instead of letting the man rest.
at Pitchfork that year, my wife got us guest passes so we were in the back area and we saw this little area he had set up for him where it was just a big black recliner and he sat in it staring at a chicago park district swimming pool and looked not great at all. really sad. hope he's ok.

Saw him about 10 years ago I think, and was similar then. But he would hit a key here or there, and did sing a fair amount. The Wondermints I think are usually most of his backing band, and Al and Matt Jardine are fantastic. Matt sings most of the high parts, and sounded a lot like Brian. Blondie Chaplin was out for a portion too. Brian did have to be walked out to the piano with help, even then. I'm really surprised he's still doing it, but happy people are getting to hear these songs still.

Back