Fresh Grabs

I am aware of him but haven’t really given him too close of a listen. I assumed he was more of a John Fahey-esque primitive acoustic virtuoso type. Not that that would be a turn off, I enjoy Jim O’Rourke and Ryley Walker so I feel like I would dig Tyler’s music also but I have never given it a go.

Where should a go first?
Goes West, Modern Country and Impossible Truth are all great. I originally caught him playing guitar on a tour with Hiss Golden Messenger, and then he and Steve Gunn seem to play together a lot. I think he's got a record with Ryley Walker too. I figured with all those similarities I would dig him, and was right. I don't think the Fahey thing is too far off, but never have spent much time with Fahey to be sure. Anyway, my first listen with him was Goes West. So maybe that's the place?!

what up? i am back from The Fest 19 in Gainesville FL, and i picked up some goodies there!!

014FBA40-6A8C-4B12-A21D-A5E2D0C65ED0.jpeg

• Origami Angel - Somewhere City
    • I thought this record was sold out, so i was suprised to see it at their merch table. turns out, i was right, the copy they were selling was what i assume was a leftover copy from an older pressing, and online it already has resold for over $50 on discogs. extremely lucky chance to have grabbed this leftover copy for $15
  • Origami Angel - GAMI GANG
    • a double LP record that has had a retail price of $35 ended up costing only $15 at the merch table instead. wish this was the norm instead of an outlier.
  • Skatune Network - Burn The Billboard
    • did not have this record yet, so i bought it after their set. a lot of the covers on this one were played live!
  • V/A - Having a Bad Time: Wish You Were Here. A Bad Time Records Fest 19 Comp
    • friends, if you say you like ska, and you haven’t heard of this label, then you are f**kin up!!! this comp features bands like We Are The Union, Catbite, Kill Lincoln, Omnigone all of which played fest and killed it!!! this one is available online if i remember correctly, so as they say, PICK IT UP!
  • Soul Glo - THE N**** IN ME IS ME
    • soul glo is way too good and their set was insane. do not sleep on this band
  • V/A - Grace - A Benefit Compilation to End Homelessness
    • compilation featuring bands like Hot Water Music, Into It Over It, Dikembe, etc. All of the proceeds went to the Grace nonprofit which aims to provide housing for the homeless. more info on them is available at gracemarketplace.org

Back