Fresh Grabs

Tubby Hayes And The Paul Gonsalves All Stars - Change Of Setting (World Record Club, 1967 First Mono Pressing)

This has been on my want list for a while but never popped up until now. World Record Club was a UK label that mainly focused on reissues (I have quite a few of them that I have bought for a quid at carboot sales) but they did release the occasional new album, including this killer session. It actually features Hayes, Gonsalves and Ronnie Scott as a triple sax front which really is a chance for them to blow off steam and push each other as far as they can. Superb stuff.

IMG_8849.JPG

Out of the Long Dark: The Life of Ian Carr by Alyn Shipton (Equinox Publishing, 2006)
Jazz Album by David Redfern (Eel Pie Publication, 1980)

A couple of music related books. The first is an autobiography of trumpeter Ian Carr that I didnt even know existed. Its been out of print for a while but I managed to find this in a charity shop. Really excited to dig into it, I'm actually rushing through my current book and have buped this up the list as the next to read. I recently bought some original contact sheets by David Redfern (of Guy Warren's Lansdowne session for 'Emergent Drums') and found this book online after some digging. A fantastic coffee table book of killer photography.

IMG_8850.jpg

0D2EA47B-D885-434D-9B78-64F79C1DD4EC.jpeg
Mail Call:
Foo Fighters was $3 after the Amazon pick up code. Kathleen Edward’s is the new variant I ordered from Magnolia. Bandcamp Big Crown clearance grabs of instrumental Fields and Wray (would have grabbed that Sunny too but I spent way more on records recently than I should have).

From my local: the new Neil and a gospel comp from the pandemic that I bought blind for reasons.

View attachment 114506
Mail Call:
Foo Fighters was $3 after the Amazon pick up code. Kathleen Edward’s is the new variant I ordered from Magnolia. Bandcamp Big Crown clearance grabs of instrumental Fields and Wray (would have grabbed that Sunny too but I spent way more on records recently than I should have).

From my local: the new Neil and a gospel comp from the pandemic that I bought blind for reasons.

That gospel comp looks amazing.

View attachment 114506
Mail Call:

Shit, I just checked and The Foo Fighters is still at $12.36 on Amazon. It's a steal for that price. Looks like that'll be in my October Fresh Grabs Pile also.

Back