Fresh Grabs

Oliver Nelson With Eric Dolphy - Straight Ahead (New Jazz, 2024 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution (Island Records, 1978 First Pressing)
Galt MacDermot And His Music - Back To The Barn (Columbia,1962 First 7" Pressing)
Mike Westbrook Concert Band - A Life Of It's Own (Deram, 1969 First 7" Promo Pressing)

After VMP sent my copy of Oliver Nelson to the wrong address AGAIN, I decided to head over to where they did send it earlier today and fortunately the homeowner still had it. I don't listen to a lot of reggae but when I saw this Steel Pulse for £1 at a charity shop I decided to give it a shot, and it's pretty great! Finally, a couple of British jazz 7" releases.

IMG_0842.JPG

Ill Considered - S/T (Ill Considered Music, 2017 First Pressing)
Ill Considered – Ill Considered 3 (Ill Considered Music, 2020 Test Pressing)

Leon from Ill Considered graced my inbox once again this week with the offer of 2 fantastic Ill Considered oddities. First up is the ultra-rare first pressing of their debut album. This was released on a white label and handwritten/hand-numbered and housed in a paper-thin jacket. This copy is incredibly numbered 2/100 which is pretty cool. I just added it to my Discogs collection and was dumbfounded to see the last few copies selling for upwards of £175!!! To add to this is a test pressing of their 3rd album!

IMG_1050.JPG

Brian Auger, Julie Driscoll And The Trinity – Open (Marmalade 1967 First Pressing)
Pete Brown & Piblokto! – Things May Come And Things May Go, But The Art School Dance Goes On Forever (Harvest, 1970 First Pressing)
Paul Gonsalves - Humming Bird (Deram, 1970 First Factory Sample/Test Pressing)

The carboot sale this morning wasn't the best but I did come away with a first pressing of Julie Driscoll (who later would marry pianist Kieth Tippett) and Brian Auger's "Open" on the Marmalade label for just £2. Theres a jazz-rock theme here as earlier in the week I acquired a first pressing of this Pete Brown album (which prog rock fans go mad for) - not as good as when I found a copy of his "The "Not Forgotten" Association" for 20p at the carboot sale though!! Finally, a cheap buy which is pretty cool, a factory sample/test pressing of Paul Gonsalves' 1970 "Humming Bird".

IMG_1051.JPG

Went in to my local to pick up the reissue of Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen but found some fire in the “new arrivals” bin…
IMG_4474.jpeg
Original US Pressing of The Clash that included a white label promo 7”. An 1981 reissue of Boys Don’t Cry, I white label prmo original US pressing of The Stranglers - No More Heroes, and Original US pressing of Siouxsie and The Banshees - Hyaena, and an early repress of Camper Van Beethoven - Telephone Free Landslide Victory, all in excellent shape. They had a bunch more cool stuff too but I couldn’t buy it all.

Last edited:
so here in Japan the Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing this weekend...and they are doing a vinyl reissue campaign here, I can't imagine these are any kind of remaster, local produced thing, but has anyone picked these up and how do they sound...tia

yeah, going Tokyo dome tonight...

IMG_1134.jpeg
Bit of a result at my local flea market.

An OG Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops on Linn Records for $10! Just bought a repress about a month ago, but it’s stuck in the UK. The cover’s a bit battered, and the record is a little crackly in the quiet bits. Give it a proper clean and I think it will be better

On CD, Music from the OC Mix 6, which I’ve been after for ages to get the Band Of Horses track. Also found an album by my friend’s band, Danna & The Changes. If you like power pop you’ll like this.

View attachment 203278
Bit of a result at my local flea market.

An OG Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops on Linn Records for $10! Just bought a repress about a month ago, but it’s stuck in the UK. The cover’s a bit battered, and the record is a little crackly in the quiet bits. Give it a proper clean and I think it will be better.
nice find! those linn pressings are special

A couple of Amazon orders and trip into Toronto to trade some vinyl
Bobby Hutcherson - Total Eclipse (still trying to find Happenings from April reissues, but not seen it in the wild)
Mick Harvey - Intoxicated Man / Pink Elephants (Gainsbourg covers, a bit of an accideal from Jeff, $26 for a double album yes please)
IMG_0319.jpg
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted (10th ann luxe version with a bunch of peel sessions and a live show at the Brixton Academy from 92 that I was at)
Dream Syndicated - The Days of Wine and Roses (40th ann reissue with s/t 12" as bonus disc)
Maleem Mahmoud Ghania w/ Pharoah Sanders - Trance of the Seven Colors. Originally released in 1995 on cd only. I had a copy that went missing over the last 6-7 years. When I started to look to replace it, I realized there was a vinyl reissue in 2019, so I grabbed it today. Amazing record, highly recommended if you have any interest in Gnawa music)
IMG_0318.jpg

A couple of Amazon orders and trip into Toronto to trade some vinyl
Bobby Hutcherson - Total Eclipse (still trying to find Happenings from April reissues, but not seen it in the wild)
Mick Harvey - Intoxicated Man / Pink Elephants (Gainsbourg covers, a bit of an accideal from Jeff, $26 for a double album yes please)
View attachment 203345
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted (10th ann luxe version with a bunch of peel sessions and a live show at the Brixton Academy from 92 that I was at)
Dream Syndicated - The Days of Wine and Roses (40th ann reissue with s/t 12" as bonus disc)
Maleem Mahmoud Ghania w/ Pharoah Sanders - Trance of the Seven Colors. Originally released in 1995 on cd only. I had a copy that went missing over the last 6-7 years. When I started to look to replace it, I realized there was a vinyl reissue in 2019, so I grabbed it today. Amazing record, highly recommended if you have any interest in Gnawa music)
View attachment 203344

That’s awesome that you attended that pavement show. You probably already know this but if not, while Pavement has yet to drop the Lux & Redux on vinyl, they did release The Secret History, Vol. 1 on wax which contains much of the bonus material…

Back