Fresh Grabs

Ah yes, the other “one of the most important British rock albums of the 90s” with vaguely sterile themes, reissue pressed on blue vinyl, that originally came out the day I was born.

…I mention that compulsively, I don't even know if I ascribe any meaning to it myself.

It's great, sounds great. Kinda can't believe the color of these discs, I thought they just photographed weird but no they actually look like that.

_MG_0988.JPG
_MG_0984.JPG
I

Last edited:
Somehow I got the full TMR Cash set for only about $25 shipped from ebay, I was going back and forth to signup for it originally but at over half off it was a no brainer. I paid about the same for the Halloween II Soundtrack as well which was a solid price and the last one I needed to fill up my boxset of the first five!

I've been after Country Funk since it originally came out and I slept a bit too long the first time around so jumped on this one before the same thing happened again.

Diver Down was the first CCC alert i've bought in awhileeee.. Seems like those alerts have been rarely hitting the last year+.

My backlog is getting insane since I haven't had much extra time the last few months 😬

PicsArt_09-23-11.16.33.jpg

Not really fresh grabs,, but I was sure where else to share this:

Brutus is happy to report today's Musical anniversaries:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magick (30 years)
Nirvana - Nevermind (30 years)
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (30 years)
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife (25 years)
IMG_20210924_204255_987.jpg

A Tone Poet Straggler from my local this morning. It Swings and Ms. Scott as always is exceptional on Hammond.

Stanley-Turrentine-Hustlin-album-cover-820.jpg

Last edited:
This is my first time posting on this thread. I thought if I kept an account of my purchases I may be motivated to cut back more. We’ll see how that goes...

ROTM box from VMP.

5D39FFDA-7CEF-4DF1-905D-AE97E59DF078.jpeg

I was in Austin, TX a couple of weeks ago to see Herbie Hancock perform. The concert was incredible. While I was there I stopped by a record store and walked away with a decent haul.

CB5F90C1-A530-49BF-90E9-DCE251AD0960.jpeg

ADD4E983-50D2-4759-A2BF-961FD2AA0A18.jpeg

Jonathan Klein - Hear, O Israel: A Concert Service In Jazz (National Federation Of Temple Youth, 1968 First Pressing)

I shared this on the jazz thread in the week and it really is a dream find. It's an INCREDIBLY rare private press record that was likely made to sell at concerts with an estimated total of just a couple hundred. The premise is equally strange. It was conceived and composed by Jonathan Klein, a 17-year-old jazz-obsessed son of a Massachusetts-based rabbi who wanted to explore the idea of combining the spiritual approach of Hebrew chanting/signing with modal jazz. Even crazier is that he was able to convince heavyweights of jazz to provide the music, with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Thad Jones, Grady Tate and Jerome Richardson making the line-up. Whats even more incredible is that I bought this at my local charity shop for the grant total of......£1!!

IMG_8037.JPG

Kenny Clare And Ronnie Stephenson - Drum Spectacular (Studio 2 Stereo, 1966 Sounds Superb Pressing)
Charlie Byrd Trio - The Guitar Artistry Of Charlie Byrd (Riverside, 1962 First UK Mono Pressing)
Chick Corea & Lionel Hampton – Live At Midem (Kingdom Jazz, 1981 First UK Pressing)
The Dave Brubeck Trio Featuring Gerry Mulligan – Compadres (CBS, 1968 First UK Pressing)

After finding the incredible Jonathan Klein album at the charity shop, I went back the next day to see if there was anything else to find (theres hundreds of records there) and found this bunch. Nothing as 'rare' as the Klein, but some killer stuff anyway. The Drum Spectacular is a reissue that's a simply killer line-up of British jazz legends, including Tubby Hayes, Stan Tracey, Ronnie Scott, etc. The others speak for themselves, with the Chick Corea/Lionel Hampton and Dave Brubeck/Gerry Mulligan being live recordings.

IMG_8036.JPG

Manu Dibango - Ambassador (CRC Records, 1981 First French Pressing)
Don Shinn - Departures (Columbia, 2020 Sunbeam Records Limited RSD Pressing)
Thelonious Sphere Monk - Monk's Blues (CBS, 1969 First UK Pressing)
Donald Fagen – The Nightfly (Warner Bros, 1982 First German Pressing)
Horace Silver - The Best Of Horace Silver (Blue Note, 1969 First Pressing)
Nina Simone - The Jazz Queen (Wagram, 2019 French Box Set Pressing)
Lennie Niehaus - Vol. 3: The Octet #2 (Contemporary, 1957 First UK Mono Pressing)

I was able to unexpectedly visit a record fair yesterday and came away with a great bundle. The Don Shinn is one that I don't think I will be able to find an original any time soon, and this one comes with a booklet and bonus 7" as well. The Nightfly is an album that I am not familiar with but that I see gets mentioned a lot, so I picked it up for a couple of quid. The Nina Simone was a bargain at just £5 and contains 3LP's and a poster. The rest all seem in fantastic shape and I cant wait to dig in after I clean everything up.

IMG_8006.JPG

Azymuth / Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Adrian Younge - Jazz Is Dead 4 (JID, 2021 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Doug Carn / Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Adrian Younge - Jazz Is Dead 5 (JID, 2021 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Gary Bartz / Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Adrian Younge - Jazz Is Dead 6 (JID, 2021 VMP Exclusive Pressing)

The next batch of the Jazz Is Dead series from VMP. Weirdly, the 4th was pressed at PRP (as with 1, 2 & 3) but 5 & 6 are pressed at Pallas (along with different jackets, non poly-lined inners and a wider black 'pouch' - which doesn't quite fit in protective sleeve). I had MASSIVE warps with the first 3 (I'm waiting on the second replacement of 2 then I will have a playable set), so maybe that's why they changed plants. I haven't had a chance to listen yet but the Pallas set seems to be a bit thinner vinyl (but not obviously warped).

IMG_8038.JPG

The Nat Birchall Quartet - The Storyteller: A Musical Tribute To Yusef Lateef (Jazzman, 2019 First Signed Pressing)
Nat Birchall - Mysticism Of Sound (Ancient Archive Of Sound, 2020 First Signed Pressing)
Nat Birchall - Ancient Africa (Ancient Archive Of Sound, 2021 First Signed Pressing)

I was lucky enough to see Nat Birchall live last night here in London, his first live performance in over 2 years. It was a stunning performance and I was lucky enough to have front row seats. In the interval, I got chatting to Nat and bought a copy of his latest album (Ancient Africa), and he kindly signed it along with a couple of others that I brought with me.

IMG_8040.jpg

The Godfather of British Jazz: The Life and Music of Stan Tracey by Clark Tracey (Equinox Publishing Ltd, 2017)

Finally, an out of print book that I have been trying to find for a while. Clark Tracey was a giant on the British jazz scene and the house pianist at Ronnie Scott's Club. This is written by his son, Clark Tracey.

IMG_8039.JPG

View attachment 113303
Scored the Fagen in a trade. Was a bit nervous waiting for it to arrive yesterday hoping I hadn’t been scammed. But it exists! Counting Crows was a back order from acoustic sounds before they hike up the AP pricing!
i've been meaning to pick up nightfly -- not the audiophile fancy shmancy ones, just a beater -- and i think i'm gonna bump it up my priority list now....

i love that crows album but i hate that 2LP treatment. flip flip flip flip exhausting to listen to

i've been meaning to pick up nightfly -- not the audiophile fancy shmancy ones, just a beater -- and i think i'm gonna bump it up my priority list now....

i love that crows album but i hate that 2LP treatment. flip flip flip flip exhausting to listen to
The new Live Nightfly just came out, I will be streaming it this week.

Yea-- I have an old 33 MoFi of it actually. But someone offered me the One Step in a trade so I grabbed it since it’s been pretty valuable. I'll likely trade it for something else at some point. I have heard that pretty much any early pressings sound great and I know there was a recent reissue of it on regular 33 for around $25. Not sure what the reviews were like on it but might be worth checking out!

I'm not a huge fan of the 2LP 45 format for most things, but the AP of the Counting Crows sounds absolutely incredible. I do wish they did a 33 AP of it though. I think even the regular pressings are quite expensive for it now which is a shame. It's a solid album.

Yea-- I have an old 33 MoFi of it actually. But someone offered me the One Step in a trade so I grabbed it since it’s been pretty valuable. I'll likely trade it for something else at some point. I have heard that pretty much any early pressings sound great and I know there was a recent reissue of it on regular 33 for around $25. Not sure what the reviews were like on it but might be worth checking out!

I'm not a huge fan of the 2LP 45 format for most things, but the AP of the Counting Crows sounds absolutely incredible. I do wish they did a 33 AP of it though. I think even the regular pressings are quite expensive for it now which is a shame. It's a solid album.
I have the Rhino 33 of Nightfly and it sounds great, it's a Bellman cut and is similar to a lot of the other great Rhino titles cut by the usual suspects

Back