Fresh Grabs

Wipers ‎– Is This Real?
Alfredo Linares Y Su Sonora ‎– Yo Traigo Boogaloo

My final two August RSD shipments. A big thanks to @Sonicpharmacist for the Wipers hook-up -- what an awesome guy. I told him the 7-inch in this package was worth the price alone. So great to hear it.

Yo Traigo Boogaloo definitely lived up to (exceeded?) expectations. Just a really fun, catchy, rowdy record that I've wanted a copy of for a long time. @Ericj32 and I are damn happy to have landed copies thanks to the alerts from @MikeH and @scotthilk. I had no luck finding it in stock anywhere on my own. Maybe more copies will hit the market during the upcoming RSD dates but it was difficult to track down. There's one reasonably priced US-based copy for sale on Discogs right now and a Canadian dude asking $500 for his copy, and that's it.

View attachment 66628

Master Boot Record ‎– Virtuaverse.OST
Master Boot Record ‎– Virus.DOS

Discogs describers Master Boot Record as an "avantgarde electronic project from Rome, Italy." Allmusic describes the music as "cryptic chiptune and classical-influenced synth-metal from Italy." Master Boot Record's Bandcamp profile describes it as "486DX-33MHz-64MB processing avant-garde chiptune, synthesized heavy metal & classical symphonic music: 100% Synthesized, 100% Dehumanized." Okay! I describe it as freaking awesome, riff-tastic synthwave. Definitely evocative of Perturbator, etc.

Virtuaverse.OST was released earlier this year as a video game soundtrack, although it wouldn't surprise me if the video game was written for the soundtrack and not vice versa. It's an electronic wall of brutal, endlessly catchy riffs, propelling rhythms and neon nostalgia. It will definitely make my list of 2020 favorites. Blood Music did small vinyl runs of these titles and I pounced on them but they tend to cycle reissues and new variants so keep your eyes peeled if they're something you want to grab.

View attachment 66630

Thanks for the tag. Glad you got your goods. I am out of town and the store I went to had Yo Triago. I didn’t cop it.. but I think I need to go back and get it tomorrow!

Classic Portuguese Hip-hop albums for the first time on vinyl, a lost live recording of Takehiro Honda and some fantastic Japanese funk. IMG_20200918_154137.jpg

And a few Japanese jazz CD as well. 5 are part of the newt batch of Three Blind Mice reissues, 2 are Days of Delight releases and last one first 1969 Quintet album.

IMG_20200918_164738.jpg

Bill Withers - Making Music
Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy
Rymden - Space Sailors
Mammal Hands - Captured Spirits
Harry Beckett - Joy Unlimited
The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

This vinyl merry-go-round is spinning a little too fast for me - these are my fresh grabs for this week and I bought rather a lot online too. I need to get off it soon. Still, when the music is this good. Rounding out my Bill Withers and Bob Dylan collections (and replacing a duff pressing with the Stones). Plus a trio of amazing jazz records - Rymden is basically Esbjorn Svensson Trio but with Bugge Wesseltoft instead of Esbjorn Svensson. I've seen them live and they're fab so I have high hopes for this their second record. Mammal Hands are just a great piano, sax, drums trio (not the most usual line-up). And the Harry Beckett is the most fantastic trumpet-led jazz funk from 1970s UK.

20200918_150335.jpg

Wipers ‎– Is This Real?
Alfredo Linares Y Su Sonora ‎– Yo Traigo Boogaloo

My final two August RSD shipments. A big thanks to @Sonicpharmacist for the Wipers hook-up -- what an awesome guy. I told him the 7-inch in this package was worth the price alone. So great to hear it.

Yo Traigo Boogaloo definitely lived up to (exceeded?) expectations. Just a really fun, catchy, rowdy record that I've wanted a copy of for a long time. @Ericj32 and I are damn happy to have landed copies thanks to the alerts from @MikeH and @scotthilk. I had no luck finding it in stock anywhere on my own. Maybe more copies will hit the market during the upcoming RSD dates but it was difficult to track down. There's one reasonably priced US-based copy for sale on Discogs right now and a Canadian dude asking $500 for his copy, and that's it.

View attachment 66628

Master Boot Record ‎– Virtuaverse.OST
Master Boot Record ‎– Virus.DOS

Discogs describers Master Boot Record as an "avantgarde electronic project from Rome, Italy." Allmusic describes the music as "cryptic chiptune and classical-influenced synth-metal from Italy." Master Boot Record's Bandcamp profile describes it as "486DX-33MHz-64MB processing avant-garde chiptune, synthesized heavy metal & classical symphonic music: 100% Synthesized, 100% Dehumanized." Okay! I describe it as freaking awesome, riff-tastic synthwave. Definitely evocative of Perturbator, etc.

Virtuaverse.OST was released earlier this year as a video game soundtrack, although it wouldn't surprise me if the video game was written for the soundtrack and not vice versa. It's an electronic wall of brutal, endlessly catchy riffs, propelling rhythms and neon nostalgia. It will definitely make my list of 2020 favorites. Blood Music did small vinyl runs of these titles and I pounced on them but they tend to cycle reissues and new variants so keep your eyes peeled if they're something you want to grab.

View attachment 66630
Just grabbed a TRAIGO in store!

10_404_404_730_bobmould_bluehearts_peak_lp1_1400.jpg

Bob's most impassioned batch of songs since Sugar. Unfortunately, predictably, compressed to shit. But the songs are great.

New this week...

IMG_0462.jpg
A couple of late '70s soul albums (both from 1977). Curtis is my favorite singer/songwriter & I'm trying to fill out his late-era solo albums. The Linda Tillery self-titled is so good, don't know why I waited so long to get it.

IMG_0472.jpg
I've given up on finding original pressings of these in VG+ or better without spending a fortune, so I grabbed these MOV pressings for a little over $20 each.

IMG_0473.jpg
The image quality on the Do Or Die cover is hilariously terrible, made me think it was a bootleg at first. I think this the only Rap-A-Lot 2K pressing I have, so I'm wondering if they all look this bad. Haven't spun it yet so hopefully the record is better than the cover. The YNQ is surprisingly hard to find.

IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg
A couple of VMP exclusives (Steve & Teresa is a color variant, Ivy Sole is a true exclusive). I already spun the Steve & Teresa, and it's really good mellow Hawaiian. I really liked the Ivy Sole album so excited for this live version.

IMG_0454.jpg
I remember a friend of mine hipped me to the song "Maybe Tomorrow" waaaay back when and I loved it, but after checking out some other Stereophonics songs back then, nothing really hit me. Found this 7" single of Maybe Tomorrow & I like the flip side, too. Maybe I'll give the rest of their catalog another try.

Back