Fresh Grabs

Big mixed bag from this week.

Tina Brooks - The Complete Blue Note Recordings Of The Tina Brooks Quintets (Mosaic, 1985 First Limited Box Set)
Grant Green - Live At The Lighthouse (Blue Note, 1972 First Pressing)
Sonny Rollins - The Sound Of Sonny (Riverside Records, 1982 OJC Pressing)
Joe Henderson - The State Of The Tenor (Live From At The Village Vanguard Volume 1) (Blue Note, 2020 Tone Poet Pressing)

A nice bundle of jazz here. I have been eyeing up the Tina Brooks and Grant Green for ages now, and finally found affordable copies of both. The 80's run of OJC's tend to be decent so I decided to chance this Sonny Rollins. Thanks to the Tone Poet Hunter, @Skalap, for highlighting great deals on some Tone Poets which are making their way to me, with Henderson arriving first!

IMG_2468.JPG

Ghostface Killah ‎– Fishscale (Def Jam Recordings, 2020 VMP R&HH Pressing)
Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite (Riverside, 2020 VMP Classics Pressing)
Colter Wall - Western Swing & Waltzes And Other Punchy Songs (Thirty Tigers, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)
Ambrose Akinmusire - On The Tender Spot Of Every Calloused Moment (Blue Note, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)
Vince Guaraldi - Peanuts Portraits - The Classic Character Themes (Fantasy, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)
Ceasar Frazier - Hail Ceasar! (Eastbound/Tidal Waves Music, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)
Walter Bishop Jr. - Coral Keys (Black Jazz, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)

A big box from VMP that turned up yesterday (@Skalap the Fiona's are in a separate package but have shipped). I have been really, really looking forward to a lot of these I so cant wait to dig in!

IMG_2469.JPG

This is today's find, which is quite the oddity but super interesting. I went to the carboot again today and at the back of one stall there were 3 huge boxes full to the brim of cassette tapes. I glanced at them as I walked past and double-taked when I saw names like John Coltrane, Tubby Hayes, Sonny Rollins, Chet Baker, etc. I started rifling through them and chatted to the seller. He does house clearances and the guy who's house these came from was a huge audio nut (jazz specifically) with thousands of pounds worth of hi-fi equipment (which he had sold online) and tons of these homemade tapes. I spent half an hour going through 3 boxes and pulled about 30 tapes out. The guy then said he had 4 more boxes in the van. I went around the rest of the carboot and heading back for another hour worth of digging. I walked away with 108 tapes which range from radio interviews (with McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, etc), archival recordings from live radio sessions, dozens of amateur live recordings (a big chunk of which the previous owner had recorded himself) and a whole pile that he had recorded live at Ronnie Scotts in London. Its a staggering amount of music and in the case of those which he recorded himself (at venues like Ronnie Scotts, The Barbican, etc) its likely that these are the only copies.
IMG_2461.jpg

Deep Purple - Fireball (Harvest, 1971 First UK Textured Sleeve Pressing)
Leonard Cohen - Songs From A Room (CBS, 1969 First UK Pressing)
Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Leonard Cohen (CBS, 1967 First UK Pressing - NO SLEEVE)

These 3 records were picked up at today's carboot and in all likelihood, I will give them away or sell them. I was rifling through a load when the seller saw me and said they were 50p each, so it seemed worthwhile taking these. I initially thought I was buying 2 but later noticed there was a copy of Songs Of Leonard Cohen (which I already have) in with Songs From A Room. The jazz magazines were thrown in with the tapes.

IMG_2467.JPG

Tina Brooks - The Complete Blue Note Recordings Of The Tina Brooks Quintets (Mosaic, 1985 First Limited Box Set)
Joe Henderson - The State Of The Tenor (Live From At The Village Vanguard Volume 1) (Blue Note, 2020 Tone Poet Pressing)

A nice bundle of jazz here. I have been eyeing up the Tina Brooks and Grant Green for ages now, and finally found affordable copies of both. The 80's run of OJC's tend to be decent so I decided to chance this Sonny Rollins. Thanks to the Tone Poet Hunter, @Skalap, for highlighting great deals on some Tone Poets which are making their way to me, with Henderson arriving first!

View attachment 66875

Colter Wall - Western Swing & Waltzes And Other Punchy Songs (Thirty Tigers, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)
Ambrose Akinmusire - On The Tender Spot Of Every Calloused Moment (Blue Note, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)
Vince Guaraldi - Peanuts Portraits - The Classic Character Themes (Fantasy, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)
Ceasar Frazier - Hail Ceasar! (Eastbound/Tidal Waves Music, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)
Walter Bishop Jr. - Coral Keys (Black Jazz, 2020 VMP Exclusive Coloured Pressing)

A big box from VMP that turned up yesterday (@Skalap the Fiona's are in a separate package but have shipped). I have been really, really looking forward to a lot of these I so cant wait to dig in!

View attachment 66877

This is today's find, which is quite the oddity but super interesting. I went to the carboot again today and at the back of one stall there were 3 huge boxes full to the brim of cassette tapes. I glanced at them as I walked past and double-taked when I saw names like John Coltrane, Tubby Hayes, Sonny Rollins, Chet Baker, etc. I started rifling through them and chatted to the seller. He does house clearances and the guy who's house these came from was a huge audio nut (jazz specifically) with thousands of pounds worth of hi-fi equipment (which he had sold online) and tons of these homemade tapes. I spent half an hour going through 3 boxes and pulled about 30 tapes out. The guy then said he had 4 more boxes in the van. I went around the rest of the carboot and heading back for another hour worth of digging. I walked away with 108 tapes which range from radio interviews (with McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, etc), archival recordings from live radio sessions, dozens of amateur live recordings (a big chunk of which the previous owner had recorded himself) and a whole pile that he had recorded live at Ronnie Scotts in London. Its a staggering amount of music and in the case of those which he recorded himself (at venues like Ronnie Scotts, The Barbican, etc) its likely that these are the only copies.
View attachment 66874

Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Leonard Cohen (CBS, 1967 First UK Pressing - NO SLEEVE)

These 3 records were picked up at today's carboot and in all likelihood, I will give them away or sell them. I was rifling through a load when the seller saw me and said they were 50p each, so it seemed worthwhile taking these. I initially thought I was buying 2 but later noticed there was a copy of Songs Of Leonard Cohen (which I already have) in with Songs From A Room. The jazz magazines were thrown in with the tapes.

View attachment 66878

There must be treasures on these tapes.

View attachment 66875

View attachment 66877

View attachment 66874

View attachment 66878
Your car boot record hauls are always great fun but this Cassette Tape haul might be my favorite. Do you have a cassette player as part of your setup? I would like to add one to mine but have not as of yet located the right component (for the right price).

There must be treasures on these tapes.
Your car boot record hauls are always great fun but this Cassette Tape haul might be my favorite. Do you have a cassette player as part of your setup? I would like to add one to mine but have not as of yet located the right component (for the right price).
Im currently listening to the second side of McCoy Tyner Live At Ronnie Scotts from 3rd Feb 1982, and its fantastic. Its never going to be perfect audio, but its bloody good and I find myself drifting into the music and getting startled when people start clapping.

I dont have a proper cassette deck, just a walkman. But I found a workaround which works great (won't be good on the batteries though). My speakers are connected to my tv through a standard audio jack, so I can just unplug that and run the walkman through my speakers.

View attachment 66877
I'm so happy you ended up getting the Ghostface Killah ROTM! It's an extremely good hip-hop album that has incredible production! There are a lot of jazzy/funky/soulful production on the album, so I am sure you will love spinning it! ♥

By the way, the Ceasar Frazier 'Hail Ceasar' pressing sounds and looks great! I really enjoyed spinning it the other day! I cannot wait to get my ROTM's and am super keen to get my copy of Coral Keys! 😄

Im currently listening to the second side of McCoy Tyner Live At Ronnie Scotts from 3rd Feb 1982, and its fantastic. Its never going to be perfect audio, but its bloody good and I find myself drifting into the music and getting startled when people start clapping.

I dont have a proper cassette deck, just a walkman. But I found a workaround which works great (won't be good on the batteries though). My speakers are connected to my tv through a standard audio jack, so I can just unplug that and run the walkman through my speakers.
Heard a bit of this on your IG and it does sound fantastic. You should digitize these and put them on a youtube channel or something.

Heard a bit of this on your IG and it does sound fantastic. You should digitize these and put them on a youtube channel or something.
I was just chatting to @Thackeraye yesterday about it, its something I really want to do. There's a lot here that I imagine are the only recordings of those particular sessions. I have only listened to a few so far but I'm surprised by the quality, I noticed that one of the tapes had the equipment spec written in there but I can't remember which one it was now, I will post it when I find it.

This is probably the most messed up looking mailer that's shown up at my door. I cringed to think what was inside, and yeah the damage isn't pretty.
View attachment 60052
View attachment 60053
View attachment 60054
View attachment 60055
Man I don't feel like having to send this back after it took so long to get here. But water damage + major corner bends add up and I'd be surprised if the records made it out unscathed given the state of the box and jacket.
UPDATE
It took some time, but they sent a replacement and it finally arrived on my doorstep today - no creases, bends, etc in sight 😁
20200921_130908.jpg

Back