Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

PS there are lots of beautiful tables out there (on a budget the pro-ject classic is a such a beautiful design) but it is hard to beat this B&O Beogram 4000, it is an utter stunner. I just need an Audi Quattro to go and pick it up in…

View attachment 115825

Googles Price
Feints
Comes Around
Begins to plan a bank job…

PS there are lots of beautiful tables out there (on a budget the pro-ject classic is a such a beautiful design) but it is hard to beat this B&O Beogram 4000, it is an utter stunner. I just need an Audi Quattro to go and pick it up in…

View attachment 115825
Always liked this table too. So cool. But I have shied away from them and others because if something goes wrong, I'd have no clue how to fix it myself. Fewer moving parts/electronics are simpler in my book. I don't have a hi-fi repair shop near me either so packing up a turntable to ship somewhere to get repaired has never been something i've wanted to do.

I do have my rebuilt Thorens which I still love but wanted my 2nd TT to be something newer/different. i do love a nice wooden plinth though.

Always liked this table too. So cool. But I have shied away from them and others because if something goes wrong, I'd have no clue how to fix it myself. Fewer moving parts/electronics are simpler in my book. I don't have a hi-fi repair shop near me either so packing up a turntable to ship somewhere to get repaired has never been something i've wanted to do.

I do have my rebuilt Thorens which I still love but wanted my 2nd TT to be something newer/different. i do love a nice wooden plinth though.

Yeah all that’s true. But let’s be honest €10,000 and only 95 built is the real bar to ownership here 😂

Don’t get me wrong there are plenty of modern looking tables that are beautiful too. The skeletal top of the line regas look so clean and so many companies are nailing the simple look. I do think that there is something that emotionally pulls me towards an older “modernist” design when playing a medium that had its heyday in the 70s though!

View attachment 115825
-looks at Beogram that closely resembles a Back To The Future DeLorean-

-looks at current turntable that closely resembles a tree stump-

This will not do.

The BeoGrams are absolutely gorgeous but tend to need a good refurbishing. And their cartridge situation is somewhat pricey.

As far as linear trackers go, I’m also fond of the Technics SL-10, especially with a stand, though it’s more DeLorean than Quattro.

View attachment 115836

View attachment 115837

Yeah the Beogram is pricy but I suppose if you’re the type of person that is comfortable spending €10k on a turntable then $1k to sound smith for a cartridge isn’t going to phase, as depressing as that is as a concept lol!

I do like those sl10 tables too. I am getting serious lazer disc vibes though! Now where’s that Betamax of short circuit, I’m feeling the 80s today!

Glad you have something coming now Lee to get you through until you find a Dragon at the thrift store one day! ☺️. You should get some good miles on those JVC consumer units. Keep the heads, rollers, capstan, clean (iso, pro q tips, compressed air) and you may want to look around for a head demagnitizer.

It arrived today...looks good. Now to get back to the area Goodwills and find some cassettes.

Play with sound...

These are the only ones I have now...and a couple more over on my desk.

20211028_133813 (2).jpg

This is the Technics that I will be working on. I got some belts ordered.20211028_133826 (2).jpg

It arrived today...looks good. Now to get back to the area Goodwills and find some cassettes.

Play with sound...

View attachment 115883

This is the Technics that I will be working on. I got some belts ordered.View attachment 115881

you would of loved my Dad's estate sale! 1200 cassettes and then library donation after!

Looks like new blank cassettes are not cheap anymore

Hope you get the Technics running again, looks pretty well built!

Play with sound...

View attachment 115883

This is the Technics that I will be working on. I got some belts ordered.View attachment 115881

Nice! I am glad you found one. Tapes are fun and cheap. I just purchased an adapter for mine so I can now dub music off my iPhone. I am gonna makes some tapes of stuff that hasn’t gotten a physically released yet. We’ll see how that goes.

If you need a clamp to help flatten out records or just want to experiment, many here like the Michell Delrin Reflex Clamp. It's around $50.

Any recommendations for a record clamp for the Ultradeck?
I use the Hudson Hi-Fi BigBen record weight with my SD. I think @kvetcha uses one with his UD. Its dimensions and weight are very similar to the MoFi Super Heavyweight, but it costs about 1/8th as much. I can't, however, say that I notice much difference sonically with BigBen on or off. Several MoFi weight users around here have written they definitely notice an improvement, so you get what you pay for?
Amazon product ASIN B01BMWI49I

Last edited:
I use the Hudson Hi-Fi BigBen record weight with my SD. I think @kvetcha uses one with his UD. Its dimensions and weight are very similar to the MoFi Super Heavyweight, but it costs about 1/8th as much. I can't, however, say that I notice much difference sonically with BigBen on or off. Several MoFi weight users around hear have written they definitely notice an improvement, so you get what you pay for?
Amazon product ASIN B01BMWI49I
I’m looking for something for minor warps vs a change in sound so this might work best for me! Don’t really wanna drop $200 on a record weight

Back