Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I’m looking for something for minor warps vs a change in sound so this might work best for me! Don’t really wanna drop $200 on a record weight
I have a relatively heavy weight, but I also have this Clearaudio clever clamp that uses its grip on the spindle rather than weight to secure the vinyl to the platter. Might be worth a look. I think it works very well as a clamp, and it's another that won't break the bank.

Amazon product ASIN B003JTDMXG

I have a relatively heavy weight, but I also have this Clearaudio clever clamp that uses its grip on the spindle rather than weight to secure the vinyl to the platter. Might be worth a look. I think it works very well as a clamp, and it's another that won't break the bank.

Amazon product ASIN B003JTDMXG
Yeah,

I use this…
Record Doctor Turntable Clamp (Black)
Amazon product ASIN B077YVJW1T
It works well for me.

Any recommendations for a record clamp for the Ultradeck?
Keep in mind the Mofi spindle isn't threaded, which I believe is how a clamp is able to get pressure. Your only option may be a weight. I have both the Big Ben and the lower priced Mofi weight. I've not A/B'd them, but I'm honestly not sure there's an audible difference.

One thing I do like about the Mofi is that it's got a rubber bottom, while my Big Ben is just a block of iron or something. The Big Ben slipped out of my hand and totally killed one of my records, where the Mofi would have been fine. I always had to be delicate setting the Big Ben down so I didn't scratch or ding whatever I set it on as a result.

Keep in mind the Mofi spindle isn't threaded, which I believe is how a clamp is able to get pressure. Your only option may be a weight. I have both the Big Ben and the lower priced Mofi weight. I've not A/B'd them, but I'm honestly not sure there's an audible difference.
I can only speak to the Clearaudio clamp, but it does not require a threaded spindle. It works by putting pressure on the spindle to hold itself in place, so it has to be pushed down onto the record.

I can only speak to the Clearaudio clamp, but it does not require a threaded spindle. It works by putting pressure on the spindle to hold itself in place, so it has to be pushed down onto the record.
Neither does the Record Doctor Clamp. It has like a drill chuck type mechanism; you twist the knob and it tightens around the spindle.

One thing I do like about the Mofi is that it's got a rubber bottom, while my Big Ben is just a block of iron or something. The Big Ben slipped out of my hand and totally killed one of my records, where the Mofi would have been fine. I always had to be delicate setting the Big Ben down so I didn't scratch or ding whatever I set it on as a result.
My BigBen has a "protective leather pad" on the bottom. It's vegan leather too, apparently.

The Michell clamp (as some others) is a reflex clamp based on a grommet design and works on non threaded spindles.

The Record Doctor version is cheaper and similiar in design but not made of Delrin though like the Michell

The Sota Reflex Clamp gets raves but its not cheap

George Merrill writes why outer and center weights are better

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a record clamp for the Ultradeck?
I’ve written about this elsewhere on the forum, but I’m still partial to the Star Sound weight over the Mofib weight. Serves the same function, but has a slightly more open sound in my system.

Ta-Da!!! Interesting, can't wait for the price tag.
View attachment 116144
This is interesting! Given the current market trend I’d imagine we’ll see a microline version in 6-12 months as long as this one sells well.
Looks like it’s coming in at £1499, so $1500-ish wouldn’t shock me.

I’ve written about this elsewhere on the forum, but I’m still partial to the Star Sound weight over the Mofib weight. Serves the same function, but has a slightly more open sound in my system.

This is interesting! Given the current market trend I’d imagine we’ll see a microline version in 6-12 months as long as this one sells well.
Looks like it’s coming in at £1499, so $1500-ish wouldn’t shock me.
I think over $1K was a give in. ;)

I think over $1K was a give in. ;)
Oh, music direct has the product page up. $1500 it is!
Mobile Fidelity - UltraGold MC Phono Cartridge

It would need to be pretty impressive at that price point. That's above the AT ART series, Hana ML, and several well reviewed Soundsmith options. But what's interesting to me would be Ultradeck + UltraGold ($3500) vs VPI Prime 21 + Zephyr MIMC Star ($7K).

I personally would love to have that VPI/SS combo, but if the Mofi flagship combo is coming in at half the price... the VPI/SS would have a lot to prove.

It would need to be pretty impressive at that price point. That's above the AT ART series, Hana ML, and several well reviewed Soundsmith options. But what's interesting to me would be Ultradeck + UltraGold ($3500) vs VPI Prime 21 + Zephyr MIMC Star ($7K).

I personally would love to have that VPI/SS combo, but if the Mofi flagship combo is coming in at half the price... the VPI/SS would have a lot to prove.
steeeeeeep. Considering HiFi Heaven will sell you a Zephyr MIMC Star for less than that…I dunno.

The tables use such different designs. I think the VPI platter alone weighs more than the Ultra Deck.

steeeeeeep. Considering HiFi Heaven will sell you a Zephyr MIMC Star for less than that…I dunno.
Exactly my thoughts. Here's the thing, I love my UD, but when it comes to phono cartridges, the MoFi line is solid, BUT, there are better options both in sound quality and price, in my opinion. It does surprise me though and I'm torn on the logic, are they seeing MoFi deck owners moving to other MC carts from the MoFi carts and that's why they decided to release a MC? Because I gotta be honest, as much as I love the deck, I'm not guessing a large percentage of owners who got a MoFi cart with their deck are replacing it with a MoFi cart.

Back