Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

The tables use such different designs. I think the VPI platter alone weighs more than the Ultra Deck.
I don't know that they are that different. It's not like bringing Linn or Rega into the conversation.

Both have longer arms, gimbal, belt driven, high mass platters, suspension isolation feet, sandwich plinth design. To me, they are more similar than they are different. The biggest differences aside from sheer volume of materials is delrin vs steel platters and outboard vs plinth mounted motor.

The VPI goes bigger in every aspect, but the majority of the core design principals seem to be along the same lines in my eyes.

I don't know that they are that different. It's not like bringing Linn or Rega into the conversation.

Both have longer arms, gimbal, belt driven, high mass platters, suspension isolation feet, sandwich plinth design. To me, they are more similar than they are different. The biggest differences aside from sheer volume of materials is delrin vs steel platters and outboard vs plinth mounted motor.

The VPI goes bigger in every aspect, but the majority of the core design principals seem to be along the same lines in my eyes.
Maybe the better comparison is to the VPI Cliffwood than anything else in their line, in terms of mass and otherwise. For the rest of their line-up, VPI has three or four different arms, both gimbal and unipivot, and 3D printed and aluminum. I think VPIs design philosophy throws so much more weight :) behind mass, that something like the Prime ends up being vastly different from the UD.

Maybe the better comparison is to the VPI Cliffwood than anything else in their line, in terms of mass and otherwise. For the rest of their line-up, VPI has three or four different arms, both gimbal and unipivot, and 3D printed and aluminum. I think VPIs design philosophy throws so much more weight :) behind mass, that something like the Prime ends up being vastly different from the UD.
Oh, it's certainly different because it is doing more like you said. And it's priced accordingly. But I wonder if MoFi decided to make a new flagship, how close it would become to something like a Prime 21 because the base philosophies are so similar.

But that still leaves the other question that burns in most of our minds from time to time... would that extra bunch of cash even be worth it? Maybe someday there'll be an opportunity for a side by side demo, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am getting my speakers in the next couple of days to connect to my Marantz 2270. I am thinking of going to pick up some cables today hopefully. I know people here have said there are multiple ways to connect the speakers to the receiver. Is there anything I should get besides the speaker cables from each speaker to the receiver?

I am getting my speakers in the next couple of days to connect to my Marantz 2270. I am thinking of going to pick up some cables today hopefully. I know people here have said there are multiple ways to connect the speakers to the receiver. Is there anything I should get besides the speaker cables from each speaker to the receiver?

No a pair of speaker wires will do you fine. You can have whichever connection you want at the speaker end. Banana, spade and bare wire will all work perfect with the Lintons.

At the Linton end for bare wire you screw out the terminal put the wire in the hole revealed on top and tighten, making sure the terminal clamps on wire, not on the plastic jacket. For spade you unscrew the terminal, seat the spade over the thread and tighten up against it. For banana you just insert into the hole at the back of the terminal.

At the marantz end you just twist the bare wire together so it holds as one and there are no bits sticking out and then push it into the hole on the terminal.

Thought you guys might get a laugh out of this.

I really love bullshit tech startup schemes that are doomed to abject failure. These geniuses have reinvented home audio by "taking all the confusion out of it" by creating... a stereo system just like every other stereo system that exists except this one is sold with nebulous tech speak and bullshit jargon and also features such spicy additions as a passive 400 W subwoofer that will for sure totally work and definitely will not completely drain all the power from their crappy amp and also a turntable cartridge intricately described as... MM. That's it. No other descriptors just that it's a MM cart, apparently this is sufficient information for their "audiophile system". And by the looks of it I'm guessing it's a 10 cent Crosley cart or worse.
Oh also the amp does not feature a headphone jack because 🤷‍♂️

Also the name is... -chefs kiss-

Dum Audio - Hi-Fi Audio, Dumbed Down

Also you gotta check out the "Limited Edition" version which is 380% more expensive than the standard because it features "a metal decal on the back" because it's "sure to be a collector's item".

Last edited:
No a pair of speaker wires will do you fine. You can have whichever connection you want at the speaker end. Banana, spade and bare wire will all work perfect with the Lintons.

At the Linton end for bare wire you screw out the terminal put the wire in the hole revealed on top and tighten, making sure the terminal clamps on wire, not on the plastic jacket. For spade you unscrew the terminal, seat the spade over the thread and tighten up against it. For banana you just insert into the hole at the back of the terminal.

At the marantz end you just twist the bare wire together so it holds as one and there are no bits sticking out and then push it into the hole on the terminal.
Thanks @Joe Mac

Seems like the banana option is the easiest to not screw up? :)

I really love bullshit tech startup schemes that are doomed to abject failure. These geniuses have reinvented home audio by taking all the confusion out of it by creating a... stereo system just like every other stereo system that exists except this one is sold with nebulous tech speak and bullshit tech jargon and also features such spicy additions as a passive 400 W subwoofer that will for sure totally work and definitely will not completely drain all the power from their crappy amp and also a turntable cartridge intricately described as... MM. That's it. No other descriptors just that it's a MM cart, apparently this is sufficient information for their "audiophile system". And by the looks of it I'm guessing it's a 10 cent Crosley cart or worse.

Also you gotta check out the "Limited Edition" version which is 380% more expensive than the standard because it features "a metal decal on the back" because it's "sure to be a collector's item".

It does look pretty! But yeah seems sketchy as fuck!

Be gentle ...

I'm preparing myself (and my wife!) for my first system upgrade. Reading this thread has been nothing if not OVERWHELMING! I mean, I'm in seriously awe of the sort of care and commitment so many of you have toward building your systems.

That said, I've been looking at amplifiers. I probably can't pony up for Bosch's McIntosh MC-240 power amplifier (not yet, anyway). I'm looking for something more in the $600-$900 range.

Any PSAudio Sprout100 owners out there? I appreciate Sprout100's simplicity and (apparent) performance. But the number of gushing online reviews has me suspect something might be amiss. (I feel like many of the reviews might have been hardware-for-review sort of arrangements.)

I'm also considering a pair of ELAC Debut Reference DBR62s. I'm probably looking at a $500-$800 range for speakers.

Probably relevant: Most of my vinyl collection consists of jazz (70%), blues & soul (15%) and 80s college/indie/alternative (15%).

I know I'm offering a pretty wide lane here - but would appreciate/value your thoughts/direction.

Be gentle ...

I'm preparing myself (and my wife!) for my first system upgrade. Reading this thread has been nothing if not OVERWHELMING! I mean, I'm in seriously awe of the sort of care and commitment so many of you have toward building your systems.

That said, I've been looking at amplifiers. I probably can't pony up for Bosch's McIntosh MC-240 power amplifier (not yet, anyway). I'm looking for something more in the $600-$900 range.

Any PSAudio Sprout100 owners out there? I appreciate Sprout100's simplicity and (apparent) performance. But the number of gushing online reviews has me suspect something might be amiss. (I feel like many of the reviews might have been hardware-for-review sort of arrangements.)

I'm also considering a pair of ELAC Debut Reference DBR62s. I'm probably looking at a $500-$800 range for speakers.

Probably relevant: Most of my vinyl collection consists of jazz (70%), blues & soul (15%) and 80s college/indie/alternative (15%).

I know I'm offering a pretty wide lane here - but would appreciate/value your thoughts/direction.

I’d definitely have a look at the Wharfedale Denton 80/85 for bookshelf speakers. The Wharfedale Heritage range has a really nice sound! Music Direct will often have the 80s discounted over there.

Someone on the forum definitely bought the sprout a while back and really liked it, I’m struggling to remember whom because it was a while back and they’re not a regular in the gear threads! I’m pretty sure they paired it with the Denton 80s and were really happy with the set up.

I really love bullshit tech startup schemes that are doomed to abject failure. These geniuses have reinvented home audio by taking all the confusion out of it by creating a... stereo system just like every other stereo system that exists except this one is sold with nebulous tech speak and bullshit tech jargon and also features such spicy additions as a passive 400 W subwoofer that will for sure totally work and definitely will not completely drain all the power from their crappy amp and also a turntable cartridge intricately described as... MM. That's it. No other descriptors just that it's a MM cart, apparently this is sufficient information for their "audiophile system". And by the looks of it I'm guessing it's a 10 cent Crosley cart or worse.

Holy shit, that's practically an advert from The Onion. What in the actual fuck?!

Holy shit, that's practically an advert from The Onion. What in the actual fuck?!
They're based in North Bay Ontario which makes me feel SLIGHTLY bad for ripping on it because, well this is the main street of North Bay:
Downtown-North-Bay-e1584458611895.jpg
So maybe they're just trying to figure a way OUT of North Bay but either way. It's $1300 USD which for that price you could get a Debut Carbon, NAD BEE and Elac B6s and still have money left over.

I really love bullshit tech startup schemes that are doomed to abject failure. These geniuses have reinvented home audio by taking all the confusion out of it by creating a... stereo system just like every other stereo system that exists except this one is sold with nebulous tech speak and bullshit jargon and also features such spicy additions as a passive 400 W subwoofer that will for sure totally work and definitely will not completely drain all the power from their crappy amp and also a turntable cartridge intricately described as... MM. That's it. No other descriptors just that it's a MM cart, apparently this is sufficient information for their "audiophile system". And by the looks of it I'm guessing it's a 10 cent Crosley cart or worse.

Lol, a wise man once reminded us all that
No one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the general public.

I really love bullshit tech startup schemes that are doomed to abject failure. These geniuses have reinvented home audio by "taking all the confusion out of it" by creating... a stereo system just like every other stereo system that exists except this one is sold with nebulous tech speak and bullshit jargon and also features such spicy additions as a passive 400 W subwoofer that will for sure totally work and definitely will not completely drain all the power from their crappy amp and also a turntable cartridge intricately described as... MM. That's it. No other descriptors just that it's a MM cart, apparently this is sufficient information for their "audiophile system". And by the looks of it I'm guessing it's a 10 cent Crosley cart or worse.

This opening line for the Limited Edition, are we sure this ISN'T The Onion, lol
"For those who really believe in the Dum Audio mission..."

Ok guys, look away if you have a sensitive stomach 😭

20211109_125922.jpg

My cleaner messed up my stylus today, which probably costs more to replace than I pay him to clean.

Anyway, now I'm debating whether I should just replace the needle, which would costs about 50 or 60 dollars. Or if I should try out a different stylus, as I am curious how something else would sound. To be honest I don't think I can get something that performs beter (or atleast as good) for the same price as a new needle. But I thought perhaps someone here had some thoughts or suggestions.

Ok guys, look away if you have a sensitive stomach 😭

View attachment 116921

My cleaner messed up my stylus today, which probably costs more to replace than I pay him to clean.

Anyway, now I'm debating whether I should just replace the needle, which would costs about 50 or 60 dollars. Or if I should try out a different stylus, as I am curious how something else would sound. To be honest I don't think I can get something that performs beter (or atleast as good) for the same price as a new needle. But I thought perhaps someone here had some thoughts or suggestions.
On the plus side, your turntable does look really clean.

Back