Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I wish I could have an English accent.

Even a pretty boring and nondescript middle class one like that? I’m all for the regional accents!

As the holder of an equally nondescript, but maybe a bit more northern, sorta lower middle class English accent I was always sad that I wasn’t one of those people who picked up accents when they moved somewhere new...

Last edited:
Oh no. I’d probably go for something along the lines of Liam Gallagher. So Mancunian. Is that correct?

That is! I lived there for 5 years but only picked up the odd phrase which always still comes out in my boring accent lol!

I’d totally pick the West Country/South West accent though, it’s kinda mega!

That is! I lived there for 5 years but only picked up the odd phrase which always still comes out in my boring accent lol!

I’d totally pick the West Country/South West accent though, it’s kinda mega!

That one is good too. I really enjoy the pronunciations. Even the way Darko said Hyundai made it sound much more than a 15k, Korean made car.

So I took some of my own advice today.

My in laws had an interesting discussion after my mother in law contacted me a few days ago.

Some years back, my father in law purchased a Denon surround sound receiver and a one of those powered subwoofer/satellite speaker systems- Def Tech. I always hated the receiver. It sounded awful. It wasn’t the most intuitive to use either.

So my mother in law called me the other day. She noted that my system sounded really good, but that theirs does not. She asked if there was anything to be done with minimal cash outlay. I told her that ditching the Denon would be a big move in the right direction.

So after that, my mom in law tells dad in law they are getting a new amp. Here’s the convo:

Him: There’s nothing wrong with the Denon. You don’t use it anyway.

Her: I don’t use it because it sounds bad. And it’s too complicated. I’m tired of taking new records to HiFi’s house when I want good sound. So we are doing what he says and getting a new amp.

Him: The guy at Best Buy says that Denon was the best they carry.

Her: Maybe that’s why HiFi doesn’t shop there.

So I’ve ordered a NAD 316BEE, which will be here Tuesday. I’ll bypass the built in Pluto in her Orbit and use the NAD’s phono stage. I’ll check the tracking force, and then re calibrate the subwoofer. She should be much happier.

So I took some of my own advice today.

My in laws had an interesting discussion after my mother in law contacted me a few days ago.

Some years back, my father in law purchased a Denon surround sound receiver and a one of those powered subwoofer/satellite speaker systems- Def Tech. I always hated the receiver. It sounded awful. It wasn’t the most intuitive to use either.

So my mother in law called me the other day. She noted that my system sounded really good, but that theirs does not. She asked if there was anything to be done with minimal cash outlay. I told her that ditching the Denon would be a big move in the right direction.

So after that, my mom in law tells dad in law they are getting a new amp. Here’s the convo:

Him: There’s nothing wrong with the Denon. You don’t use it anyway.

Her: I don’t use it because it sounds bad. And it’s too complicated. I’m tired of taking new records to HiFi’s house when I want good sound. So we are doing what he says and getting a new amp.

Him: The guy at Best Buy says that Denon was the best they carry.

Her: Maybe that’s why HiFi doesn’t shop there.

So I’ve ordered a NAD 316BEE, which will be here Tuesday. I’ll bypass the built in Pluto in her Orbit and use the NAD’s phono stage. I’ll check the tracking force, and then re calibrate the subwoofer. She should be much happier.
Your mother-in-law calls you "HiFi" too? That's cute.

Last edited:
It’s upgrade time!
I would love some recommendations on a new TT in the $500 range.
I currently have an AT-LP120, and am going to pass it on to my gold friend’s son who doesn’t have the dough for a new one.

It’s upgrade time!
I currently have an AT-LP120, and am going to pass it on to my gold friend’s son who doesn’t have the dough for a new one.
I went from the LP120 to the Pioneer PLX1000 and it was a huge jump. One of the biggest ones I have experienced. I liked the option of removable headshells and more of the Techniques look though. If you are looking for similar I highly recommend it.

Edit: Just saw MSRP is now almost $700. I'm keep the post though because it is worth it. I know I used a coupon when I bought it because they don't go on sale often.

It’s upgrade time!
The previously mentioned are two really good options, you can keep a look out for coupons from Guitar Center that will bring it closer to your budget if you're willing to wait, otherwise, at that price point the Fluance is pretty solid and it comes with the Ortofon 2M Blue ($236) included, the PLX doesn't come with a cart.

I have the PLX and it's built like a tank and I love it, you can tell where the money went, so to speak. I haven't seen or touched the Fluance, but the chatter has been nothing but positive, so the "Bang for your buck" seems stronger there.

I would weigh out both and see which one checks the most boxes for you, either can last you a good long time ;)

Last edited:
Back