Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

This is actually not a bad idea. What software can I use to rip files. I haven't done it in years. I used to use iTunes but isn't that extinct?

My friend just started using Musicbee, it also is a music player/manager, has a Android remote app, and its free.
You could take your $200 and add a nice Topping D-10, or Schitt Modi, or Audioquest Dragonfly usb DAC (he got his Df black for 50 used) and a 1TB SSD hard drive and external usb case for your music.

Last edited:
Thank you to @Joe Mac for sending me on this adventure. I have my contractor making me a special shelf so I can finally move my turntable off the same surface as my one bookshelf speaker. I am going to also be running speaker wire through the walls. I have questions on what wire/connectors would be appropriate.

My KEF Q150s are 8ohms (impedance) - From the amplifier (Onkyo A-9010) from left speaker is gonna be about a 20-25ft. run and to the right speaker will be about a 30-35ft. run at the very most.

Would I be good with the following:

Amazon - 100' 16AWG, 2 conductor speaker wire - MediaBridge
Amazon - MediaBridge Banana Plugs

Thank you to @Joe Mac for sending me on this adventure. I have my contractor making me a special shelf so I can finally move my turntable off the same surface as my one bookshelf speaker. I am going to also be running speaker wire through the walls. I have questions on what wire/connectors would be appropriate.

My KEF Q150s are 8ohms (impedance) - From the amplifier (Onkyo A-9010) from left speaker is gonna be about a 20-25ft. run and to the right speaker will be about a 30-35ft. run at the very most.

So long as it’s appropriately rated for in wall use. Also if it was me I’d keep both runs the same length and hide the excess in the wall. The banana plugs look fine.

I've got some of the MediaBridge cables, plugs and so on, very well made, no complaints.

Cool. Plan is to still have my Magni in line. Should be fine.
How does the switchable gain on the Magni affect the output signal? The specs show gain is either 1 (0db) or 5.5 (15db), selectable via rear switch. Does this mean that if a phonostage has +40db gain, and a Magni was used as a preamp with high gain selected, the total gain would now be +55db?

Is there any worthwhile budget CD players out there? Or any tips on finding a used one on the cheap? It would be a very small part of my listening but I do have some U2 fan club cds I want to get out again but my laptop and new car no longer have CD players.

Honestly, under $200 I would look for a Blue-ray player. I know that sounds odd, but an actual CD player is hard to come by now a days, and the ones out there are for "audiophiles" and end up being pricey-er, over $300 for sure unless you start looking at used, and even then it might be hard.

There are a lot of good audio quality BR players that will also play DVD and CDs, so just in case you get some Deluxe package that has physical digital media you'll be able to play them as well. See if anyone else has any recommendations, just my 2 cents on the player ;)
Sorry late to the game on this convo but I had actually been thinking about this a bit over the last week. I've got a 100 CD changer next to my desk but it's super big and somewhat awkward to use. I was thinking of picking up a blu ray player (link below to the one I had open in my browser, $68, you could probably find this on Amazon too) and feeding the digital out to my dac (schiit modi 3). You would just need to ensure that your amp/receiver has a digital port and an internal DAC.

Blu Ray Player

Sorry late to the game on this convo but I had actually been thinking about this a bit over the last week. I've got a 100 CD changer next to my desk but it's super big and somewhat awkward to use. I was thinking of picking up a blu ray player (link below to the one I had open in my browser, $68, you could probably find this on Amazon too) and feeding the digital out to my dac (schiit modi 3). You would just need to ensure that your amp/receiver has a digital port and an internal DAC.

Blu Ray Player
If it's not going to be used for blu-rays, then a dvd player would suffice. This one from Sony is only $33, has both digital coax AND analog RCA outputs, and a 96kHz/24bit DAC, so no need for a separate DAC (although I'm sure the modi is better). And I'm guessing the blu-ray you linked to also has a DAC, it can't just be a transport?

If it's not going to be used for blu-rays, then a dvd player would suffice. This one from Sony is only $33, has both digital coax AND analog RCA outputs, and a 96kHz/24bit DAC, so no need for a separate DAC (although I'm sure the modi is better). And I'm guessing the blu-ray you linked to also has a DAC, it can't just be a transport?
I didn't see a DAC listed in the specs. I'd imagine if the output is digital coax though it would need a DAC if you went that route? But yes, DVD player would work well too, that one looks like it could be a good option.

I didn't see a DAC listed in the specs. I'd imagine if the output is digital coax though it would need a DAC if you went that route? But yes, DVD player would work well too, that one looks like it could be a good option.
Maybe, but I would be very surprised if Sony was selling a mass-market blu-ray player and stating it also plays CDs, but omitting the fact that you need an outboard DAC. Most people have no idea what that is and would be upset.

Maybe, but I would be very surprised if Sony was selling a mass-market blu-ray player and stating it also plays CDs, but omitting the fact that you need an outboard DAC. Most people have no idea what that is and would be upset.
You can play CDs through your television out the box. That's all they assume you'd do.

You need a outboard DAC or some other connection if you're putting it into a dedicated audio system.

You can play CDs through your television out the box. That's all they assume you'd do.

You need a outboard DAC or some other connection if you're putting it into a dedicated audio system.

I also think it’s a cheap codec that is simple to implement and they don’t want to not have on there. I don’t think that they imagine for a second that many people will so much put a cd in it, nevermind use it as a dedicated CD transport.

Last edited:

I may be misunderstanding your point, but I respectfully disagree. The idea that this mass-marketed Sony blu-ray player is merely a cd transport makes no sense to me whatsoever. I think it's merely an omission in the description. This unit purports to play cds. The market for this product has no idea what a cd transport and a dac are. The general public understands a traditional cd player, which plays cds when hooked up to amplified speakers.

And, Sony does not assume the user of this will only play cds through a tv. They also have to assume someone might also use this player in a home theater system with an amp and separate speakers, which is very common. And, how could someone play the audio signal from a CD through their television speakers without any digital to analog conversion? Do all TVs have built in dacs?

In any event, I would just get the $33 Sony dvd player, which explicitly states it has a dac for the audio. ;)

I may be misunderstanding your point, but I respectfully disagree. The idea that this mass-marketed Sony blu-ray player is merely a cd transport makes no sense to me whatsoever. I think it's merely an omission in the description. This unit purports to play cds. The market for this product has no idea what a cd transport and a dac are. The general public understands a traditional cd player, which plays cds when hooked up to amplified speakers.

And, Sony does not assume the user of this will only play cds through a tv. They also have to assume someone might also use this player in a home theater system with an amp and separate speakers, which is very common. And, how could someone play the audio signal from a CD through their television speakers without any digital to analog conversion? Do all TVs have built in dacs?

In any event, I would just get the $33 Sony dvd player, which explicitly states it has a dac for the audio. ;)

If it had a DAC it would have an analogue output. It has a HDMI, which is digital, and will use the TV/Home Theatre DAC and an optical coax which require a dac and is there to connect to a home theatre and use its DAC. People using a player like that as a CD player (beyond very rarely sticking a CD in and playing through the TV) are such a niche market that I can’t even believe that they consider them when designing/marketing the machine.

If it had a DAC it would have an analogue output. It has a HDMI, which is digital, and will use the TV/Home Theatre DAC and an optical coax which require a dac and is there to connect to a home theatre and use its DAC. People using a player like that as a CD player (beyond very rarely sticking a CD in and playing through the TV) are such a niche market that I can’t even believe that they consider them when designing/marketing the machine.
Ah, so if it only has digital outputs, then it can only output a digital signal? I understand.

Ah, so if it only has digital outputs, then it can only output a digital signal? I understand.

Yeah exactly that. It includes CDs because if you put them in it will spin them and have a codec that will extract the info. It will just have to use the DAC of whatever it’s connected to to turn it into analogue and produce sound.

According to the 326bee manual, the TAPE MONITOR button:

selects the output from a tape recorder when playing back tapes or monitor recordings being made through the TAPE OUT sockets in the rear panel. Press the TAPE MONITOR button once to select it and again to return to the normal input selection.
TAPE MONITOR does not override the current input selection. For example, if CD is the active input when TAPE MONITOR is selected, then the CD signal will continue to be selected and sent to the TAPE OUT sockets, but it is the sound from the recorder connected to TAPE IN that will be heard on the loudspeakers. Apart from the blue LED to indicate Tape Monitor is engaged, the blue LED for the active input will also stay lit.

So I think if you select the input for your TT-Pho8, then press the TAPE MONITOR button, then the TT signal should be sent to the TAPE OUT sockets. Also, you shouldn't hear anything from your main speakers, (unless your Pho8 is connected to the TAPE IN sockets, in which case I suggest switching it to the DISC sockets).
I ended up just plugging the PHO8 straight into the back of the Sonos. No benefit of just flipping a few input switches on the amp to switch from the main speakers to the living room Sonos system, but at least it's a simple switch of wires when the mood strikes.

Back